Disabled Parking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Disabled Parking

• Author

cromwell
    Participant

Is it me or are these disabled parking spaces cloning each other. They now appear to take up every available space in Wrexham whether it be town-supermarket-car park or where ever. I often stand and watch blue badge holders and observe them–and behold, 70% of them walk off at a jolly old pace showing no sign of illness or discomfort. And by the way if you watch these badge holders you will notice its very strange how the majority have a sudden limp or slow down to mimick an unsure gait if they notice you watching. It is time the authority stamped down on these people and those in charge stopped handing out blue badges like confetti. Maybe most of the users find them in cornflake boxes or share them out with there family. I know one thing for sure and that is we are all fed up of the whole abuse of blue badges and the confidence tricksters using them. If you are genuine you have no worry or problem but others who abuse the system will ruin it for you. As for the council if they spent less on marking spaces for them at great expense them my council tax may be less.

Huw
    Participant

Can’t comment on the above, but what REALLY annoys me is when blue badge holders think they can park in the parent/child spaces in Tesco when it’s raining because those spaces are under cover. There are loads of disabled parking spaces in Tesco that never get fully used but still they decide to take these spaces away from parents like myself. But if we parked in their spaces all hell would break loose!

janeywxm
    Participant

Why do people automatically assume that all blue badge holders must have something wrong with their legs? The cards are awarded for a variety of conditions, not all visible! Heart conditions, breathing difficulties, learning disability, cancer, the list goes on!

And as for their illnesses being ” visible”, not even the best doctor or medical expert in the world can view illnesses just by looking at someone, maybe that is why we have CT scans, x rays and other diagnostic equipment!

What really annoys me is the amount of non-disabled motorists who think it is okay to park in a disabled space, and especially at night! Don’t they think disabled people venture out during the hours of darkness?

Btw, I am not disabled myself but have worked as a carer in the past for people who had blue badges for various conditions.

johnhoppy
    Participant

The Blue Badge Scheme is an excellent idea, but is subject to abuse and selfishness by many users. The able bodied should not park in disabled parking bays, but also blue badge holders should refrain from parking in places such as bus stops. When I was driving buses it was not unusual to find cars parked at bus stops, and when you suggested that they moved to make way for the bus you would get a blue badge waved at you. Yes, they may be disabled, but there are in all probability many more people on the bus who have difficulty in dismounting from a bus in the middle of the road.

The blue badge seems to also grant immunity from prosecution if you are parked on double yellow lines. I always though that double yellow lines were there because it was unsafe to park at that particular location, or would cause an obstruction. Surely if it is unsafe for me to park there it is also unsafe for a blue badge holder to do so.

Alunh
    Participant

@cromwell 15856 wrote:

Is it me or are these disabled parking spaces cloning each other. They now appear to take up every available space in Wrexham whether it be town-supermarket-car park or where ever. I often stand and watch blue badge holders and observe them–and behold, 70% of them walk off at a jolly old pace showing no sign of illness or discomfort. And by the way if you watch these badge holders you will notice its very strange how the majority have a sudden limp or slow down to mimick an unsure gait if they notice you watching. It is time the authority stamped down on these people and those in charge stopped handing out blue badges like confetti. Maybe most of the users find them in cornflake boxes or share them out with there family. I know one thing for sure and that is we are all fed up of the whole abuse of blue badges and the confidence tricksters using them. If you are genuine you have no worry or problem but others who abuse the system will ruin it for you. As for the council if they spent less on marking spaces for them at great expense them my council tax may be less.

Where abuse occurs it is 100% wrong. As Janeywxm points out, however, the external observer will have little idea of the reasons why different individuals have blue badges. My wife has one because she is arthritic and she tires quickly. This might mean that she appears perfectly fine going from her vehicle but will not on return. Additionally, I will often drop her in town, park up and meet her at the Car at a time of her choice. Perhaps it is people like me who Cromwell cites in his 70% figure as we get out of the car.

I do agree, however, that many see a blue badge as a silver bullet for bad practice.

cromwell
    Participant

Let me make one more observation on blue badge holders, first they fill there own spaces, second they take up all other non disabled spaces including mother and baby spaces, then to top it all seize the road sides wherever they see a space. Is it any wonder decent people nip into disabled spaces–its not through spite or laziness but because we are heartily fed up with them thinking they have the monopoly on every space they see and choose. I stand by my assumption that the majority of these people are fit to walk distances and the blue badge is all some part of some benefits claim and ploy. As for the poor souls who are genuine then carry on, as for spaces in supermarkets these are up for grabs by one and all. You may be interested in knowing that the Road Traffic Act does not cover private land parking and fines from supermarkets are not enforceable if you park in a disabled space.

Alunh
    Participant

I’m assuming that this is the Cromwell of Drogheda repute?

johnhoppy
    Participant

I have COPD + high BP and do not have a Blue badge and struggle to walk very far, but recently I was demanded to move my car from a loading bay at Island Green which I was occupying for a few minutes while my wife was picking something up from Wilkinsons. Why is it that someone who has a Blue Badge thinks that they can demand a parking space which is not designated for them at the expense of anyone else. Needless to say I did not oblige.

Katie H
    Participant

It really annoys me when I see disabled drivers taking up parent & child spaces! They have enough spaces of their own without taking ours up!!

And will people stop parking in the parent and child spaces to then sit in the car!!

Rant over. :)

Iceman
    Participant

@Katie H 15913 wrote:

It really annoys me when I see disabled drivers taking up parent & child spaces! They have enough spaces of their own without taking ours up!!

And will people stop parking in the parent and child spaces to then sit in the car!!

Rant over. :)

Very well said. Parents need the extra room to open the car doors and get the kids out safely. I dont mind walking. Stick the parent and child spaces far away from the entrance. That would discourage anybody else from pinching them but still serve their purpose.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News