Direct parental payment for children on free school meals

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Direct parental payment for children on free school meals

• Author

wxmlad
    Participant

I see there is a payment of £19.50 for each child for meals, what is child benifit for?
    Surly if you can’t afford to feed your child you should not have any! Why should one man work to keep another man’s child? is this not child abuse? Why not give out food vouchers, then food could be bought instead of fags, booze or drugs!!

TimRegency
    Participant

Another Sun reader. Why not think for yourself instead of letting Murdoch do it for you? You may be able to lose some of your pantomime dame anger and malice.

Truthbeknown
    Participant

The money is to help as they would normally have the main meal in School, at the moment they collect meals from collection points which is not ideal. No doubt some will abuse the system which always happens but if it gives the help to genuine people then its a small price to pay.

Its not child abuse!!!! its some really needing the help. We work to better our lifestyle and to provide for our family s or as least I do. We put money into general taxation, how its spent is down to government. If at least one child ends up not being hungry then I’m happy.

We as a young family of four in the early 70’s were poor and as a single parent my mother relied on free school meals which unlike today were a stigma of separate ques and name calling but it meant we had a good meal and Ill always be grateful for that.

wxmlad
    Participant

Another Sun reader. Why not think for yourself instead of letting Murdoch do it for you? You may be able to lose some of your pantomime dame anger and malice.

If you can’t feed a child it’s child abuse!

TimRegency
    Participant

You’re the one trying to interrupt the feeding of children with your judgemental and malicious interventions. I refer you to Truthbeknown’s response.

Truthbeknown
    Participant

Wxmlad, you really need to wake up and smell the roses. I and you by the sounds of it are lucky we don’t need the help provided either because of hard work or luck or a bit of both. Some do and its not new money, its the same money used to provide free school meals judged necessary before the Covid problem. I’m not a fan of our Council but some praise for a safer way of providing a contact-less option.

Not being able to feed a child properly is a problem for some due to circumstances beyond their control,food banks are struggling and some closed. Child abuse is a massive concern, don’t trivialise it in this post PLEASE.

janeywxm
    Participant

Weird that you think all people on benefits use the money for “fags,booze or drugs”

Not everyone will abuse the system and some genuinely need the free school meals.

I see lots of single mothers ( and Fathers) who do without food on a regular basis just so their children can have a meal on the table.

Don’t judge, nobody knows what is around the corner for us all!

Janey

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

These payments are giving power to the parents involved to make the right choice – now it is up to them to step up to the plate, or rather the cooker. The money is there to provide one decent meal each day of the school week, which is what each child would have received at school. At £19.50 per child and allowing for economies of scale: £39 for two children, £58.50 for three children and £78 for four children; anyone who can cook should be able to prepare some decent dinners.

Councillor X
    Participant

“Let people do what they need to do to make them happy. Mind your own business, and do what you need to do to make you happy.”

you have to trust parents to do the right thing and IF they decide to spend it on things for themselves then its up to them. In this nanny state there is always someone who will bail them out and they know that.

To quote loan,”£78 for four children; anyone who can cook should be able to prepare some decent dinners.” That is enough to feed the family all week from Aldi so food banks won’t be needed now ….?

WreX-iT
    Participant

Wrexham Council hands out hundreds of food bags per week to ensure children don’t get hungry during lockdown

Wrexham Council has revealed how it is handing out hundreds of food bags per week to ensure children don’t go hungry during the coronavirus lockdown

But don’t the Council provide monthly payments equating to £19.50 per week for each eligible child? YES!

Cllr Pritchard said: “Let’s be frank here, even though you’re paying the money out, it doesn’t guarantee the money will be spent on food.
    “What we’ve done through the social care team and education is giving extra support food to these vulnerable families.
    “The money was probably enough and it was welcomed, but we felt there were still children and families who could fall through the net so we went that extra mile.”

Dear Cllr Pritchard
    I would also like my cake, to eat it and then be given more money
    Thanks
    Wrex-It

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News