Difficult Decisions – Staff and Member car parking

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Difficult Decisions – Staff and Member car parking

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

The Council currently provides free parking to some of its staff and to Elected Members in town centre car parks. It is proposed to remove this entitlement to encourage more sustainable modes of travel to work (e.g. public transport) and to generate additional income. It is estimated that this could generate additional income of approximately £49,000 in 2018/19.

As I no longer have the privilege of parking for free at the Guildhall and so can no longer nip to the Monday market for my meat and veg or visit Hoffi Koffi for a caffeine fix, you should all vote to stop free parking!

The Chief Officers and Office Managers all have free parking despite being the highest paid people in the Council so if they all paid then that would save a lot of money. Of course it will not encourage more sustainable modes of travel to work (e.g. public transport) but we need every penny from this latest round of cuts to services.

Idris
    Participant

There are loads of Council staff parked behind Crown Buildings even though they don’t work in that building.

Have they included those in the £49,000 saving?

DerekJackson
    Participant

What about all the cheap parking ad well for staff in peoples market and cheap gym membership.
    How many staff have loans at low interest for cars!! Or other items.

Idris
    Participant

[quote quote=139674]What about all the cheap parking ad well for staff in peoples market and cheap gym membership.
    How many staff have loans at low interest for cars!! Or other items.[/quote]

I know that nobody has cheap loans now because nobody uses own cars they use pool cars.

It is the people who get free parking and do not even use car for work like the big bosses that makes me laff most. Also the counsellors.

Woodbine
    Participant

I worked for the council for ten years (leaving about 4 years ago).
    I can’t speak for all depts of course, or say if anything has changed since I changed employer, but where I worked it was the managers who had all the free parking, not the ones who regularly went in and out each day to events and meetings, often with heavy boxes, etc.

If they do keep some free staff parking it shouldn’t be allocated on the grounds of seniority, or length of employment at the council, but on the grounds of need due to the specific job done and the regularity of travelling required for that post.(Decided centrally not by individual managers who generally want spaces for themselves, and preferably by a points system based on frequency of need for a car.) Otherwise, as someone else has pointed out, the best paid get the spaces, and they definitely are least in need of them!

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=139699]I worked for the council for ten years (leaving about 4 years ago).
    I can’t speak for all depts of course, or say if anything has changed since I changed employer, but where I worked it was the managers who had all the free parking, not the ones who regularly went in and out each day to events and meetings, often with heavy boxes, etc.

If they do keep some free staff parking it shouldn’t be allocated on the grounds of seniority, or length of employment at the council, but on the grounds of need due to the specific job done and the regularity of travelling required for that post.(Decided centrally not by individual managers who generally want spaces for themselves, and preferably by a points system based on frequency of need for a car.) Otherwise, as someone else has pointed out, the best paid get the spaces, and they definitely are least in need of them![/quote]

In most jobs you get more perks as you climb to more senior positions – that’s just the norm.

DerekJackson
    Participant

So much for having unions to look after their members.. Or do Union officials have free parking.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News