Debenhams Rumours

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Debenhams Rumours

• Author

Mike Davies
    Participant

I am not a Debenhams customer myself, but some people I know who do use it say that it does not carry the full range of items that other stores do, so they go to Chester when they want to buy things from Debenhams.

That can sometimes be said for M&S, the store in Wrexham has a much smaller range of clothes than some other M&S stores.

Rondetto
    Participant

Very true, imagine if they had the old TJ Hughes store, ground floor for food hall and first floor for clothing. It would be far more busy than where they are now.

WrecsamGirl
    Participant

M&S in Wrexham is quite poor for clothes. It doesn’t really have the choice that they have in say Chester.

Ferret
    Participant

@zinger 14047 wrote:

It would have been good for the town & should the timing have been right, for Debenhams to move into TJ’s with M & S moving into Woolworths using both floors. Although, I would rather have kept both Woolworths & TJ’s in town with M & S taking over the Littlewoods store to extend. The old Co-op building might have been OK for Debenhams. I can but dream. I know that none of it would have been feasible. The moon is also made of green cheese.

Zinger. I was just penning a reply that went: You can but dream. None of this would have been feasible. The moon is also made of green cheese.

Mike: All major stores have different “packages” or offers. So the major shopping centres will get the biggest offer while smaller centres get a reduced offer. It was always thus. Wrexham as it happens had quite a high Woolworth package while Chester didn’t even have a Woolies for years which tells you something about the demographics.

Retailers are already withdrawing to fewer centres and using online shopping to fill the gaps.

Forget about stores moving from EM to TJs, just forgot it. (Didn’t pan out that well for TJs).

zinger
    Participant

I liked the upstairs at TJ’s but downstairs was much too overcrowded for me. I hate overcrowded shops although I can understand why they have to do it.

Alunh
    Participant

Rumours, Rumours, Rumours…..

At any moment in town, Debenhams will be evaluating their best interests in Wrexham and nationally; so will M & S, so will all the other multiples…so too will those who run Eagles Meadow.

M & S were threatening to leave Wrexham before Eagles Meadow because town centres with no Car Parking do not fit their development profile. They, like Tesco and Asda, have to have Car Parks. They moved from Rhyl to Prestatyn for exactly that reason. The thought of M & S moving back to the town is a stretch.

I would guess that the Sainsbury’s in Eagles Meadow idea would run up against the Anchor store’s interests ie M & S… but you never know.

Ultimately, shops will come and go according to the maths of the equation. If town can ever offer this then watch this space

Rex Ham
    Participant

I think Debenhams is a very fine shop. It’s a place I go to looking for gifts and things for myself. It’s good to have a “proper” department store in town, even if it is on EM!

M&S however, is a very poor affair, but I guess it’s a chicken and egg situation, people go to Chester for the wider choice, and as a result the selection a Wrexham gets smaller.

As has been said before, it’s just a shame these shops are not in the “old” town centre, then it would be a very vibrant place to shop. At the moment the town centre is looking very sorry for itself.

Rondetto
    Participant

Hearsay yes, but I have spoken to people and staff at Prestatyn M&S. It was a mistake and it’s never quite taken off there. Only the first week saw busy tills.
    Since then it’s been dead. Shoppers have returned to Rhyl ever since.
    Not always the best choice to put a high street store in a retail park.

Alunh
    Participant

@Rondetto 14972 wrote:

Hearsay yes, but I have spoken to people and staff at Prestatyn M&S. It was a mistake and it’s never quite taken off there. Only the first week saw busy tills.
    Since then it’s been dead. Shoppers have returned to Rhyl ever since.
    Not always the best choice to put a high street store in a retail park.

I’m guessing that it isn’t the High Street vs Retail Park question that would affect this but the Rhyl vs Prestatyn thing. I’ve been to Rhyl several times recently and, despite its obvious problems, the streets are often packed with shoppers. Prestatyn has always been a much quieter town (albeit nicer). The Prestatyn site is not like Eagles Meadow or Cheshire Oaks, it is more or less linked to the main street in Prestatyn

wrexview
    Participant

Many towns the size of Wrexham would be delighted to welcome Debenhams, M&S and Next into their midst. With Click and Collect all ranges are available and returns can be made in store, as shoppers we have never had it so good ! No need to travel to Chester or Cheshire Oaks it’s here on our doorstep.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News