Debenhams Rumours

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Debenhams Rumours

• Author

WrecsamGirl
    Participant

Has anyone else heard the rumours that Debenhams may be leaving Wrexham? They’ve not made profit since the store opened on Eagles Meadow, and now there is rumour floating about that Primark may be moving into the unit if/when Debenhams decide to leave.

This doesn’t surprise me at all as the store is always quiet, and has actually gone to look a bit shabby in recent months. However it would be sad if the staff were to be laid off because of this.

Huw
    Participant

Not heard that. I did hear that Morrisons is cutting jobs though.

Liam
    Participant

That rumour has been doing the rounds for a couple of years, but they’re still here. When does their lease end?

Rondetto
    Participant

Debenhams have 4 years left on there lease. As have M&S, so it would cost too much to buy out their lease at the moment. Watch this space in 4 years time though.

DerekJackson
    Participant

They are both on anchor tenancy agreements so not paying full cost – I wonder how long they would stay if it was a full rental agreement

WrecsamGirl
    Participant

There was another rumour floating about a while back that M&S were going to be moving into the old TJ Hughes store, now obviously if they have four years on their current lease then it’s unlikely to happen, but if they were to move there it revitalise that part of town.

What has happened with M&S is that when they were in the town centre, in their old premises, they used to make most of their money in the food hall selling sandwiches and snacks etc to people on their lunch breaks from other stores etc. Since they moved to Eagles Meadow they don’t pick up the same passing trade, and that’s why their takings have dropped.

Eagles Meadow is basically a massive white elephant. The rates to rent a unit on there are astronomical which is why businesses don’t stay there very long, the car park is an over priced rip off staffed by over Zealous parking attendants who’ll fine you as soon as look at you, it’s miles away from the bus station and it’s too far for elderly and people with disabilities to walk to etc. Everything is against it, building it was a huge mistake.

zinger
    Participant

It would have been good for the town & should the timing have been right, for Debenhams to move into TJ’s with M & S moving into Woolworths using both floors. Although, I would rather have kept both Woolworths & TJ’s in town with M & S taking over the Littlewoods store to extend. The old Co-op building might have been OK for Debenhams. I can but dream. I know that none of it would have been feasible. The moon is also made of green cheese.

manicwelshgirl
    Participant

@Big H 14017 wrote:

Not heard that. I did hear that Morrisons is cutting jobs though.

not heard anything about Debenhams but the Morrisons one is true my sister in law has had her hours cut right back she was only on 20 hours to start with

DR
    Participant

There was a rumour last year that a Sainsbury’s Local was due to move into Eagles Meadow as well. However that doesn’t seem to have happened…!

Someone who works in Primark has commented on Facebook saying that they haven’t heard anything regarding them moving down to Debenhams.

Another rumour was that BHS were looking to leave the town as well.

Do have to wonder where these rumours come from!

DR
    Participant

Quite a few comments on our FB page now, including one from a member of staff at Debenhams, who has said she can assure you it isn’t closing.

https://www.facebook.com/wrexhamdotcom

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News