D Jones & Son Bus Company to cease trading.

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum D Jones & Son Bus Company to cease trading.

• Author

AMA Express
    Participant

Mike Davies
    Participant

Bad news for workers and their families before Christmas.

Rex Ham
    Participant

Arriva buses knew about this last week. There was a post on Facebook about their arrangements to cover D. Jones routes. I noticed it particularly because a second poster said the information should not yet be made public. In his statement Cllr. Bithell said it was difficult to put new arrangements in place at short notice, but he had (I paraphrase!). Perhaps he should have followed facebook.

Having said that, I am sorry another local company has closed and workers affected so badly.

Daave63
    Participant

[quote quote=142044]Arriva buses knew about this last week. There was a post on Facebook about their arrangements to cover D. Jones routes. I noticed it particularly because a second poster said the information should not yet be made public. In his statement Cllr. Bithell said it was difficult to put new arrangements in place at short notice, but he had (I paraphrase!). Perhaps he should have followed facebook.

I think you are talking about some services changes that ARRIVA announced last week for February, which happens to partially include some of the 6 service. As a regular bus user, this announcement has come totally out of the blue and I don’t think ARRIVA go any where near school buses!

dagg
    Participant

Arriva have rerouted the Penycae bus to replace the No 6 Ruabon starting January I think. It will be interesting to see if they put the Llangolllen bus back to the old route.

Matt
    Participant

Another massive shame that yet another local bus company has gone bust. Arriva soon to have the monopoly on local public transport and they’ll only run routes that are profitable and be able to hike up fairs on routes that previously had multiple providers.

The ending of the Barkers lane service means that elderly people (as I believe that’s who primarily benefitted from it) from all the affected estates will either have to walk all the way down to Chester Road or to Borras shops to get a bus into town.

If the Welsh Assembly turnover this ridiculous Thatcherite Ban – Wrexham Council could set-up a local authority ran bus service, which would be beneficial to all. Details on the consultation to be published next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41123041

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

[quote quote=142051]Another massive shame that yet another local bus company has gone bust. Arriva soon to have the monopoly on local public transport and they’ll only run routes that are profitable and be able to hike up fairs on routes that previously had multiple providers.

The ending of the Barkers lane service means that elderly people (as I believe that’s who primarily benefitted from it) from all the affected estates will either have to walk all the way down to Chester Road or to Borras shops to get a bus into town.

If the Welsh Assembly turnover this ridiculous Thatcherite Ban – Wrexham Council could set-up a local authority ran bus service, which would be beneficial to all. Details on the consultation to be published next year.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41123041[/quote]

Excellent idea! Why not add more expense on a council facing cuts 😕

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=142053]

Another massive shame that yet another local bus company has gone bust. Arriva soon to have the monopoly on local public transport and they’ll only run routes that are profitable and be able to hike up fairs on routes that previously had multiple providers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-41123041

Excellent idea! Why not add more expense on a council facing cuts 😕[/quote]
    Matt is right. You can’t rely on the free market (or a barely subsidised one) to provide a public service where some services are profitable and others are loss making. Companies like Arriva will mop up the profitable routes and wait for the smaller companies to go out of business trying to manage on insufficient subsidies on local routes, creating themselves a monopoly where they can then charge what they like.

zinger
    Participant

Don’t shoot me down on this as I know little about it. I am just asking the question.

Wouldn’t it be cheaper for WCBC to increase the subsidies to a realistic level allowing small private companies to continue to give a decent service to outlying areas rather than setting up a new council run service?

Buses need to be garaged, insured, serviced, need fuel, replaced on occasion. Drivers have to be paid wages and now, paid paternity leave, holidays, pensions, sick pay etc.

Cost of overheads rise all the time but do subsidies keep up? There is something wrong when two local bus companies go out of business within such a short space of time. They provide services to less cost effective areas.

How much would it add to our council tax for said councils to have to purchase brand new buses as well as the associated costs?

I am with the bus companies on this unless someone convinces me otherwise.

123windows
    Participant

Does anyone know who is taking over the 35 route to Borras Park and Plas Goulbourne?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News