Cycle paths

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cycle paths

• Author

djrus
    Participant

Cycle path is removed on Chester Road Rossett because the Councillor decided. Now he says a 20 mph sign will reduce the speed. What nonsense. He is also commenting on Marford store application. Nothing to do with him. Stick to your own ward please! Source is the Essentially Yours March edition if you want to check.

NJones
    Participant

That’s probably one of the few cycle paths that actually gets used as well!

zinger
    Participant

It is surprising how many cyclists ride outside the cycle track lines on the road. Understandable if the cycle track is full of pot holes but not the case. Riding around chicanes is another one. On the other hand there are motorists who park on cycle paths.
    Ideally cycle tracks should be totally separate to both footpaths & roads. Whilst they ‘are’ attached to roads, should there be courses on how to use them? Some of them look very complicated.

Andy
    Participant

Department for transport advice for cyclists is to ride 1 metre from the edge of the highway. Some cycle paths are too narrow and downright dangerous, they encourage close and fast overtakes. Having a 25 tonne bus passing you at 40 mph by inches is terrifying. A cyclist is also permitted to ride in the centre of the lane, something a few motorists seem to have a problem with.
    Chicanes, normally the cycle route through them is full of crap, grit, glass etc.
    Cyclists are advised to ride under 15 mph when using shared paths with pedestrians. A reasonably fit cyclist on a decent bike easily sustains 20mph+ so they use the road.

NJones
    Participant

Another reason why cycle paths should be separate and allow road traffic to flow at a decent speed.

Andy
    Participant

Cyclists are road traffic.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

hmmmm.

a cycle path or road is the business of anyone who uses it even if points a and b are outside of the ward.

bike lanes in wrexham border on lunacy, plus they’re not enforced. Cars should get booked if they park over a bike lane.

cyclists in wrexham do have put their hands on the attitude towards them…

i’d read last week that boris has promised 918 million on plans for cycling lanes – why? because cycling is a voting issue. Wrexham cyclists don’t lobby – so they get a few lines of paint and the mentally expensive bike parks.

Wrexham needs people to organise a critical mass

ps … and my favourite mental bike lane in wrexham… and waste of public money..

bikelane.jpg

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

There is a wide and usable cycle lane going through Rhosddu to the other side of Llay. It is on the pavement away from the traffic on the road and is clearly sign posted. Some use it and others still insist on using the road. Can’t please everyone it seems!

lazyjack
    Participant

@Welsh Dresser 4738 wrote:

There is a wide and usable cycle lane going through Rhosddu to the other side of Llay. It is on the pavement away from the traffic on the road and is clearly sign posted. Some use it and others still insist on using the road. Can’t please everyone it seems!

I drive down this road several times a day and the reason some cyclists use the road is because the pavement (cycle lane) gets covered in crap from the trees. The road sweeper cleans the roads but not the pavements.

It’s OK for me because I have a mountain bike but there’s no way I would use the cycle lane on a road bike. On some occasions there have been small branches that have fallen down so it would be quite dangerous on some bikes, especially out of daylight hours.

pete
    Participant

@lazyjack 4739 wrote:

I drive down this road several times a day and the reason some cyclists use the road is because the pavement (cycle lane) gets covered in crap from the trees. The road sweeper cleans the roads but not the pavements.

Most of the dropped kerbs from the path to the road are all either really short or aren’t flush with the road (unless something’s been done about it over the last few years).
    So if you want to get on the path you have to slow to a snail’s pace to make the turn and bump up the kerb or be a bit of a daredevil and try and jump it when you’re riding at 20mph+.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

College students hosting Wrexham football themed charity dinner for local causes

News

RSPCA urges a radical rethink of animals’ rights as part of ‘For Every Kind’ campaign

News

Wrexham to host to second stage of Tour of Britain Women

News

Man “arrested on suspicion of wounding” after “public order incident” in city centre

News

Senedd set to vote on Outdoor Education bill this week

News

Students collaborate with award-winning musician to create ‘A Song for Wrexham’

News