Cutting subsided bus services to rural areas

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cutting subsided bus services to rural areas

• Author

DR
    Participant

Perhaps shortening the Wrexham to Chester journey will mean those buses actually run on time..

Ieurhos
    Participant

I used to drive on this route a few years ago and I don’t recall that stretch being a particular problem except a very limited period at rush hour. Coming out onto the Rhosddu Road/Grosvenor Rd roundabout from the bus station direction was a much bigger problem. This idea looks as if it will make that roundabout even worse than it is now and saving 130 metres is a joke. The money would be better spent keeping evening and rural services. It would also help if more people used those services, but they are hardly publicised and the council gave up printing timetables a few years ago.

Ieurhos
    Participant

Actually there are evening services to Holt via the industrial estate, but it’s just taken me 10 minutes on the council webiste to find it. They are hidden under 141 and 142 service. Is it any wonder that no one uses them?

Andy
    Participant

A Bus Gate can be just a bus only lane/route. We already have one outside the fire station on Bradley road.

wxm
    Participant

Ridiculous. This will confine some people to their homes.

wxm
    Participant

Those who work can’t get there or back now. And those who paid for our country will have their freedom taken away!

Wrecsam_lad
    Participant

Brymbo bus times getting cut back from April. Petitions going around to be signed in pubs and shops.. Can’t see it doing any good though, but it will show peoples feelings on the matter.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Not sure what’s going on here. Are the bus services to be withdrawn or just the frequency reduced?
    Just remember, subsidised travel is a privilege that has been funded by WCBC and not a Statutory right. My opinion therefore is that, as the Council is having difficulty funding it’s’ statutory obligations, the first things that should be dispensed with are those that are peripheral to its’ principal functions.
    My travel by car is not subsidised, I have to pay the going rate. Perhaps bus travel should be at the going rate also.

johnhoppy
    Participant

Subsidised bus services are there to get you out of your car thereby reducing pollution, parking requirements and demand on road space. When I visit Wrexham town centre I always try to use the bus as there is nowhere I can park which is more convenient than the bus station. Now I have a ‘free’ bus pass, but even prior to this I used the bus because by the time you have paid for fuel and parking it is a very cost effective way to get about. Withdrawing subsidised bus services will have a negative effect on our town centre through lack of footfall and increased traffic and further demands on parking spaces.

AMA Express
    Participant

@wxm 10722 wrote:

And those who paid for our country will have their freedom taken away!

That’s a bit over-dramatic ! :rolleyes:

Nobody’s “paid for the country” nor is anyone having “their freedom taken away”.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News