Curry night fundraiser to support Wrexham scout chosen to attend World Jamboree

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Curry night fundraiser to support Wrexham scout chosen to attend World Jamboree

• Author

BenjaminM
    Participant

It’s nothing more than a glorified jolly. The parents should pay for it or he should stay at home!!
    The largesse of Anise is being abused when it is compared to other worthy fundraising activities held there recently.

bubble
    Participant

This seems really odd to me. Why would the scouts run a contest to choose which teenager should attend the jamboree, when it’s not within the scouts’ powers to actually send the winner to the jamboree? They’re basically saying that this teenager won a prize in a competition, but that he has to pay for the prize.

I’m assuming the young scouts who entered the competition all knew they would have to raise the funds themselves if they won, and so were not duped as such – but even so it’s a strange prize to win. Giving with one hand and taking with the other.

It’s not a cause I’d donate to, but each to their own. If other people want to donate I don’t have a problem with that. I do think it comes across as a bit mean for the scouts to do this to a teenager though – how would he feel if he couldn’t raise the funds & so couldn’t go to the jamboree? Perhaps it’s intended as a test of resourcefulness by getting the winner to raise funds through sponsorship or doing odd jobs etc – but if the winner came from a wealthy family they might be able to pay for the trip easily without fundraising. So whether the winner gets to enjoy their prize by attending the jamboree is based on personal or family circumstances, which seems unfair to me.

janeywxm
    Participant

Bubble, you’re right, winning a competition prize you have to pay for yourself is really strange. Jokes aside, I hope the lad goes and enjoys himself but having to raise the cash yourself for it is out of order.

Janey

WreX-iT
    Participant

I have won a number of similar competitions, normally I win a car, a holiday or a life-changing pile of money.
    All I had to do was prove it was me was send a copy of my passport and my bank details. They also wanted to know the name of my first pet and my PIN.

Not got my prizes yet”

Sheefag
    Participant

What a joyless shower of miserable gets.

dagg
    Participant

I remember helping a African Prince with money, but he never got back to me.

Moz
    Participant

As someone who helped 16 Scouts from Wrexham raise funds to attend the last World Scout Jamboree 4 years ago, I’d like to explain why these kids should be supported.

World Scout Jamborees bring young people from almost every country in the world together for 12 days of activities. They are vital to opening the eyes of young people so they can appreciate issues which challenge the whole world.

I’m not going to pretend the camp is anything other than a fantastic experience. While it is hard work, there is a lot of fun too. But a holiday it is not.

One of the most important things about these events is that not only are kids from every country involved, but kids from every background too. That means kids from families who can’t afford it.

Without fundraising, Jamborees would just be for rich kids. How representative would that be? How appreciative of global issues would just the rich kids of the world be?

Every 4 years we have a battle with parents of kids who are less well off to convince them that their child *can* go. Thanks to the vast amount of people who get behind these incredible young people, they can afford it.

So please, if you see someone out fundraising for the World Scout Jamboree, don’t scoff, consider supporting them if you are able to.

Thanks.

Moz
    Participant

Can I also reply to a couple of individual points to clarify…

[quote quote=162317]Given that the price to fly to West Virginia is only about £600 return and that they will be staying in tents then the price of £3495 seems very high even after including the cost of food and trips etc. Someones making an absolute killing out of this.[/quote]

Here’s the breakdown of the cost:

Jamboree breakdown

So the biggest chunk is travel. As someone who’d done this, buying a plane ticket for a large group of people is much more expensive than a small family. You’d think we get bulk discount, it’s quite the opposite. We’re having to buy flights for several thousand kids just from the UK, flying from loads of different airports, so this really does ramp up the price.

Again, to say it’s just ‘staying in tents’ grossly over simplifies the sheer scale of this event. There will be around 50,000 people camping. That’s a small town, so the whole infrastructure needs setting up to cater for this number of people. When we hosted the event in the UK back in 2007 a large temporary hospital, staff restaurants etc etc all had to be built and then taken down at the end.

I can absolutely guarantee that nobody is making a killing – if it wasn’t for the fact that the whole thing is run by volunteers (save a handful of full time staff) it’d be much more expensive.

[quote quote=162360]This seems really odd to me. Why would the scouts run a contest to choose which teenager should attend the jamboree, when it’s not within the scouts’ powers to actually send the winner to the jamboree? They’re basically saying that this teenager won a prize in a competition, but that he has to pay for the prize.

I’m assuming the young scouts who entered the competition all knew they would have to raise the funds themselves if they won, and so were not duped as such – but even so it’s a strange prize to win. Giving with one hand and taking with the other.

It’s not a cause I’d donate to, but each to their own. If other people want to donate I don’t have a problem with that. I do think it comes across as a bit mean for the scouts to do this to a teenager though – how would he feel if he couldn’t raise the funds & so couldn’t go to the jamboree? Perhaps it’s intended as a test of resourcefulness by getting the winner to raise funds through sponsorship or doing odd jobs etc – but if the winner came from a wealthy family they might be able to pay for the trip easily without fundraising. So whether the winner gets to enjoy their prize by attending the jamboree is based on personal or family circumstances, which seems unfair to me.[/quote]

OK, so it’s not really a competition that they win. There is a selection process as there aren’t enough places to take all that want to attend. The process also ensures the kids who attend are suitable for the event.

Before they apply we ensure they know how much it will cost, but reassure them that they can usually raise a large amount of not all of the money. Of course we’d love to send the kids for free, but where would the Scout Association find this money!?

I can assure you that in my experience when kids from more well off families get through, they take a full part in fundraising helping the others. That’s what Scouts is all about.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Moz it is good to see your comprehensive response and rationale. It is still down to individuals if they wish to make a donation. Those who are not happy should shut up and keep their hands firmly in their pockets and let those who want to donate do so.

Moz
    Participant

[quote quote=162911]Moz it is good to see your comprehensive response and rationale. It is still down to individuals if they wish to make a donation. Those who are not happy should shut up and keep their hands firmly in their pockets and let those who want to donate do so.[/quote]

I think it’s fine for people to have their say and ask genuine and valid questions about the process.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News