Crime in Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Crime in Wrexham

• Author

wxmlad
    Participant

This last 12 months Wrexham has had more break ins than i can ever remember.
    When are police ever going to catch these fools that set fire to cars?
    Watch out for a sharp increase in insurance premiums with all this crime.
    Is our crime commissioner too busy counting his money…. Police pension, ££££££, Commissioner salary, £100,000?????, councilor fee, ££££, SORT IT OUT ARFON JONES

Owen
    Participant

Firstly, I do share your anger to what appears to be a higher level of crime in Wrexham, heck in the past 3 months my family have suffered from two separate incidents of burglary so I use these experiences and talk about this issues first hand, however, as the below image shows burglaries / break ins are lower than they have been for a 3 year period.

View post on imgur.com

Secondly, what do you suggest the commissioner does about these ‘increases’ in crime? If I am frank I am sick of these forums being about finger pointing and slandering individuals, the council or other authority figures without offering in their own suggestions. The way I see it, especially in this case on crime, the Police are stretched dramatically and the budget is getting smaller by the year. I totally agree that break ins, car fires and other crimes are becoming a common occurrence within Wrexham and Wrexham.com covering new stories on a weekly basis, however, without there being a constant Police presence on the streets of Wrexham, how do you combat breaks in and criminal damage?

99DylanJones
    Participant

Part of the solution has to be that residents when they are going around need to use the eyes and ears and if anything that does not seem right is seen then it needs reporting. Local inteligence is so important in preventing and detection of crime. The Police dont have the resources to be on the ground as much as they used to 20/30 years ago so residents need to be the ‘boots on the ground’. There are a number of ways to report without fear of anyone being seen as a snitch!

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=125772]

how do you combat breaks in and criminal damage?

[/quote] Zero tolerance. Make full use of Berwyn. Break ins and criminal damage 2 years in Berwyn. This will act as a deterrent, and if not, will keep these offenders off the streets.

wxmlad
    Participant

[quote quote=125773]Secondly, what do you suggest the commissioner does about these ‘increases’ in crime?[/quote]
    The buck stops at the top, he needs to sort it.

How about cutting 100 police officers & a helicopter at a nothing football match, that would pay for more feet on the streets!

Owen
    Participant

[quote quote=125775]

how do you combat breaks in and criminal damage?

Zero tolerance. Make full use of Berwyn. Break ins and criminal damage 2 years in Berwyn. This will act as a deterrent, and if not, will keep these offenders off the streets.

[/quote]

I agree with you, however that is not an issue of the police but the judicial system. North Wales Police to my knowledge cannot request lengthier sentences than what our current law suggests.

[quote quote=125778]

Secondly, what do you suggest the commissioner does about these ‘increases’ in crime?

The buck stops at the top, he needs to sort it.

How about cutting 100 police officers & a helicopter at a nothing football match, that would pay for more feet on the streets!

[/quote]

Again that would not really change much seeing as Wrexham FC pay for increased Policing of the area. Quoted from the Daily post, published / updated of 19th April 2013;

“POLICING of Wrexham FC matches cost the club £215,000 over the last five seasons.”

But if you want to look at money you should look at how much the North Wales Police are required to save due to budget cuts. Across the board there has been a 12% reduction in the Policing budget throughout the country and North Wales Police have had to reduce spending by 19.653m in the previous 4 years.

I am sure our Commissioner would of loved the additional 19.653m to use as his predecessor had allocated.

If you want to read about the budget cuts they face maybe look at https://www.north-wales.police.uk/media/247141/medium-term-financial-plan-2015-16-to-2018-19.pdf

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=125773]Part of the solution has to be that residents when they are going around need to use the eyes and ears and if anything that does not seem right is seen then it needs reporting. Local inteligence is so important in preventing and detection of crime. The Police dont have the resources to be on the ground as much as they used to 20/30 years ago so residents need to be the ‘boots on the ground’. There are a number of ways to report without fear of anyone being seen as a snitch!

[/quote]
    Residents are not responsible for preventing and detecting crime, that’s the responsibility of the police. That’s what we pay our taxes for, we shouldn’t be relying on a vigilante public force.

Daave63
    Participant

For once Nen I agree with 99Dylan, local ressie’s should report anything odd or suspicious, they don’t have to tackle or solve a crime just do their bit in their community.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The PCC earns 80k a year for a three day week. Maybe if his pay was cut to a normal wage he could employ a couple of constables to walk the beat?
    And get those pcs hiding in the speed camera van out doing some proper detective work.

wxmlad
    Participant

The graph above may show a slight decrease over a 3 year period but in areas like Garden Village & Acton crime has exploded over the last 12 months.

Wrexham town centre is a no go area in Lord Street & the bus station area, no wonder there are empty shops, decent people will not shop in Wrexham because of ‘undesirables’ on the streets

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News