Participant

Yes of course it has, because:
    1. They are not recording many many categories
    2. Many categories are excluded
    3. There are not many proper police left
    4. The plastic versions cannot record a crime
    5. There is no money in it for them except harassing motorists
    Need I go on?
    But – just wait until the next elections are near and crime becomes a ‘hot topic’ again and then see the figures rise

Cllr Hugh Jones
    Participant

I have to take issue with the derogatory term ‘plastic’ associated with PCSOs.

Firstly they carry out important policing duties and are widely appreciated in our communities. They work closely with Town and Community Councils to be the effective policing presence in their communities.

Secondly they have considerable powers, including, but not limited to, power to seize vehicles, power to stop and search, power to seize drugs. There are a wide range of powers which are available to a PCSO. The one power they do not have is that of arrest. If they did it would result in them having to be in the office dealing with paperwork and attending court. Instead they are out in our communities. They do have the powers to detain suspects until a PC arrives.

I am more than happy to provide the full range of powers available to PCSOs and to defend their deployment in the County Borough. I can be contacted at [email protected].

Hugh Jones
    Lead Member Communities Collaboration and Partnership
    Wrexham County Borough Council

johnhoppy
    Participant

I agree with Clr Hugh Jones that the PCSO provide a valuable service to the community.

I believe that they are funded by Wrexham CBC which is all well and good, but we are also paying for the Police through the Police precept on our council tax. Is this an admition that the police can not cope with the funding they have, or is it a way to disguise the true cost of policing?

miserableoldbugger
    Participant

I do apologise I should have said ‘poly (methyl methacrylate)’ to give them their proper name!

zinger
    Participant

A lot of PCSO’s do appear to go around in pairs just chatting to each other, taking no notice of their surroundings.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News