Councillors To Discuss Councillor Pay Rise

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors To Discuss Councillor Pay Rise

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

The reason they gave for taking that action was “they had to take the increase ” , there was in fact no such compulsion.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=122232]For the record County Councillors do not set their own pay that is carried out by an Independant Body.

With the run up to local elections it is understandable that members do not wish to be associated with pay increases, especially at a time when we are still forced to make cash savings in the region of £5million next year.

That said if Council employees are entitled to a pay award then surely there is an argument that County Councillors ought to be treated no differently.

Once awarded elected members can instruct payroll to pay them the existing rate or forgo their allowance 100% if they so wish.

Before I am asked back in 2012 I decided to commit myself more or less full-time to the role of a lay Councillor and for that reason I have no concerns about receiving the £14k pa allowance.

I hope we can attract younger Wrexham folk to stand and be elected in 2017 but the constant snipping at the role of County Councillor will surely put off a number of worthy candidates. Who then is the loser….I would argue the people of Wrexham.

Cllr Phil Wynn

[/quote] 14k per annum is a hell of an hourly rate for a part time job.

jimbow
    Participant

I have looked at the attendance register for Councillors on WCBC web site.
    On extracting the figures for one Councillor from 21/11/15 to 7/11/16 the expected attendance at meetings was 25, of which they attended 19. The Councillor also attended 14 meetings over and above what they were expected to attend.
    The meetings are in the region of two hours, times 33 meetings attended,equals 66 hours for £14,000 or £212 per hour.
    I think their allowance needs to be reduced.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=122273]I have looked at the attendance register for Councillors on WCBC web site.
    On extracting the figures for one Councillor from 21/11/15 to 7/11/16 the expected attendance at meetings was 25, of which they attended 19. The Councillor also attended 14 meetings over and above what they were expected to attend.
    The meetings are in the region of two hours, times 33 meetings attended,equals 66 hours for £14,000 or £212 per hour.
    I think their allowance needs to be reduced.

[/quote]

Yes, because they just turn up to the meetings with no preparation and then do nothing else until the next meeting. 🙄

jimbow
    Participant

Nen, they have ipads with all the information, that is of course if they ever read them.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=122325]Nen, they have ipads with all the information, that is of course if they ever read them.

[/quote]

iPads are only a “tool” – you’ve still got to read the papers, research around any issues being discussed, speak to local residents and council (and other) colleagues, follow up any actions from the last meeting, etc, etc.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News

Updated: Firefighters called to incident at Bryn Lane recycling centre

News

Wrexham Council first in north Wales to install men’s sanitary bins in public toilets

News

Former Debenhams store in Wrexham could become trampoline park

News

Video: Wrexham market’s historic secrets are being uncovered amid refurb

News

Competition watchdog launches investigation into £2.5 billion merger between Flintshire based Redrow and Barratt

News