Councillors To Discuss Councillor Pay Rise

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors To Discuss Councillor Pay Rise

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

I say Yes Please! We work very hard and get few perks apart from parking!

Nen
    Participant

The increases being proposed are paltry – no wonder Wrexham is struggling to attract quality Counsellors.

wrexview
    Participant

Salaried Councillors is a relatively recent innovation, previously people gave their time free , for the benefit of the community. PWC missed a trick there, save a million pounds don’t pay the Councillors at all ! Mind you they would have taken a hefty percentage as a reward for thinking up the idea!

miserableoldbugger
    Participant

[quote quote=122041]The increases being proposed are paltry – no wonder Wrexham is struggling to attract quality Counsellors.

[/quote]

I think you have hit the nail on the head there. This is what we want – Counsellors and not Councillors – for us ratepayers who foot the bill for these crackpot money spending ideas

Conde
    Participant

I am in two thoughts on the entire topic.

I understand and appreciate that councillors have to get paid at some level ( that goes back to when MP’s were not paid. So they just ended up being rich land owners and it truly was a boy’s club – regardless of what some people think the system is like now). Otherwise locally, we face the potential of forever and ever having either the retired/semi-retired, or the wealthy representing the rest of us. Not good.

People will complain and say that the councillors do sod all – but if they think it’s easy, why not stand for election yourself? Worst case scenario is you lose and can stand on the moral high ground. Best case scenario is that you will win, have a members allowance ( or better if you’re lucky) to decide what to do with and can show Wrexham what a real councillor ‘should’ do in their opinion).

That being said… I think if they are looking at raising allowance by £100, then they should say sod it – reject it. That’s £5k+ saved and that can be invested else where.

wrexview
    Participant

Good to see Councillors rejecting the proposed pay increase of £100. However when the last increase was accepted we , the ratepayers, were told there was no mechanism for not taking the increase. The Labour group at the time said they would make a donation to charity as a result of having to take the money. Have the rules changed or were we spun a story last time ?

PhilWynn
    Participant

For the record County Councillors do not set their own pay that is carried out by an Independant Body.

With the run up to local elections it is understandable that members do not wish to be associated with pay increases, especially at a time when we are still forced to make cash savings in the region of £5million next year.

That said if Council employees are entitled to a pay award then surely there is an argument that County Councillors ought to be treated no differently.

Once awarded elected members can instruct payroll to pay them the existing rate or forgo their allowance 100% if they so wish.

Before I am asked back in 2012 I decided to commit myself more or less full-time to the role of a lay Councillor and for that reason I have no concerns about receiving the £14k pa allowance.

I hope we can attract younger Wrexham folk to stand and be elected in 2017 but the constant snipping at the role of County Councillor will surely put off a number of worthy candidates. Who then is the loser….I would argue the people of Wrexham.

Cllr Phil Wynn

99DylanJones
    Participant

Most people would probably not have an objection if elected Members actually committed a resonable amount of time to the role. I am sorry to say that if you look at the attendence register there are 25% of the Councillors who have only turned up to about 20% of the meetings that they are allocated. Indeed you only need to see an Executive Biard braidcast to see that on averge there are less than 30% of the non Executive Councillor present.
    A fairer system would be not only payment for attendence but payment for taking part.
    It is so embarassing that most Councillors dont even complete the form showing what they have done in a year – look up your Councillor on the Council Web site and se whar they are supposed to be doing.

wrexview
    Participant

Thank you for the explanation Councillor Wynn. So we were spun a story by the Labour Group.

PhilWynn
    Participant

I don’t think so as I beleive the Labour Party members chose to donate to local causes of their own choice from their net pay. I guess there are many ways to skin a rabbit.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News