Councillors pay to increase

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors pay to increase

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

Councillor pay is set to increase with the annual councillor salary going up by more than £260 and by £800 for senior members.

I have no problem with this because it will cover the stupid £140 a year OUR Members (who we voted for!) are being charged for parking to do their duties.

My only question is whether ALL of the Members are worth their salt especially when a lot do not turn up for ‘work’!

Councillor Mark Pritchard (Council Leader): £48,300 -> £49,100
    Councillor Hugh Jones (Deputy Leader): £33,800 -> £34,600
    Councillor Andrew Atkinson: £29,300 -> £30,100
    Councillor William Baldwin: £29,300 -> £30,100
    Councillor David A Bithell: £29,300 -> £30,100
    Councillor Terry Evans: £29,300 -> £30,100
    Councillor D J Griffiths: £29,300 -> £30,100
    Councillor David Kelly: £29,300 -> £30,100
    Councillor Joan Lowe: £29,300 -> £30,100
    Councillor Phil Wynn: £29,300 -> £30,100

Councillors who do not pass their PRCD should not get a pay rise just like staff don’t if they fail.

Matt
    Participant

Let them have the money this year and then we can do a graph with all the Councillors attendance – a bit like at school. Then we can name and shame the ones with the biggest unauthorised absence levels. Maybe send the wag man round or threaten their parents with a fine for non-attendance.

Of course there can then be a slacker of the month award or they get labelled ‘wage waster’.

Biggest slacker at the end of the year has to pay for everyone’s parking.

Councillor X
    Participant

Send in the wag man and the nit nurse just to be sure.

I would ask you to produce a Pie Chart but Keith Gregory isn’t on the payroll now.

jimbow
    Participant

I wrote to the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales prior to their consultation report for 2019.
    I pointed out that would it be possible to impose a reduction in the remuneration, by imposing a penalty clause of £200 or more, on each occasion a Councillor is absent from a scheduled meeting.
    It is imperative that money is spent wisely, and not on somebody who has taken no part in the business they were elected to do.

The reply I received said:– The Panel have considered your views and have no comment to make. This is not within the Panel remit as it is not a remuneration issue.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=163974]I wrote to the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales prior to their consultation report for 2019.
    I pointed out that would it be possible to impose a reduction in the remuneration, by imposing a penalty clause of £200 or more, on each occasion a Councillor is absent from a scheduled meeting.
    It is imperative that money is spent wisely, and not on somebody who has taken no part in the business they were elected to do.

The reply I received said:– The Panel have considered your views and have no comment to make. This is not within the Panel remit as it is not a remuneration issue.[/quote]

I always wondered what “considered your views” meant. It is possibly akin to “dismissed out of hand” or even “not read”.

I still think that Matt’s wag man could be the answer.

DerekJackson
    Participant

It is interesting that the examples given for ‘salaried’ Councillors are only the Executive Board who have some of the best attendance. Good attendance however does not make a good Lead Member.

Attendance records are available for each Councillor and you will see that back benchers are the worst attenders – not surprising though as their effectiveness at being an elected person is caerly at most times non-existence – even if they attended all meetings they could the level of difference they make would still be zero percent.

The attendance of Lead Members ranges from 77% to 100% – other Councillors range from 33% to 100% the information available does not however give reasons forabcence so this could be illness or personal reasons.

What is more interesting is how few of the Council Executive members submit an annual report on their activities. This is only voluntary but should be made compulsory. 100% top marks for Cllr Baldwin who has submitted a report every year he has been elected.

https://moderngov.wrexham.gov.uk/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=18

WreX-iT
    Participant

Councillor X, now you need to ask “Have our councillors earned a 16.9% pay rise ?”

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News