Councillors Guildhall Car Park

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors Guildhall Car Park

• Author

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=143964] … top managers and Councillors NEED to be able to park at ANY time.
    … if you let ordinary people park there then Councillors and Top Managers may not be able to come into work.
    [/quote]

Wow. Just, wow.
    I hope times are never so bad that I have to rely on you to provide me with a compelling defence.

I don’t believe you really think this – it has to be a wind-up.

Marvinuk
    Participant

I agree with jimbow, if there is a council meeting planned then cordon off some spaces at least then they can guarantee a place close to the Guildhall. Cost of parking could be claimed back as an expense if required upon receipt of tickets, times could then be checked against the meetings.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=143972]I agree with jimbow, if there is a council meeting planned then cordon off some spaces at least then they can guarantee a place close to the Guildhall. Cost of parking could be claimed back as an expense if required upon receipt of tickets, times could then be checked against the meetings.[/quote]

I can see your point but you cannot cordon off for Top Management because you do not know who will be in and Councillors need to come in to drop off documents and see people.

You cannot expect them to claim money back because of the tax involved so that would be unfair. They already save the Council a lot of money by using iPads instead of photostats so if they get a parking perk once every blue or blood red moon then so be it.

We are talking about people WE voted for so WE should look after them,

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=143973]

I agree with jimbow, if there is a council meeting planned then cordon off some spaces at least then they can guarantee a place close to the Guildhall. Cost of parking could be claimed back as an expense if required upon receipt of tickets, times could then be checked against the meetings.

I can see your point but you cannot cordon off for Top Management because you do not know who will be in and Councillors need to come in to drop off documents and see people.

You cannot expect them to claim money back because of the tax involved so that would be unfair. They already save the Council a lot of money by using iPads instead of photostats so if they get a parking perk once every blue or blood red moon then so be it.

We are talking about people WE voted for so WE should look after them,[/quote]

We are looking after them, we pay them between £13k and £47k per annum to carry out their duties. We pay for parking WHY shouldn’t they. As for I pads,I would expect them to use them as they are provided FREE of charge.
    All were asking them to do is PAY.

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

[quote quote=143985]

We are talking about people WE voted for so WE should look after them,

We are looking after them, we pay them between £13k and £47k per annum to carry out their duties. We pay for parking WHY shouldn’t they. As for I pads,I would expect them to use them as they are provided FREE of charge.
    All were asking them to do is PAY.[/quote]

Break that £13k down over the year and you’d find most people wouldn’t do a job for that much, I certainly wouldn’t. Then expect them to pay for an IPad that is forced on them and has saved the Council money not to mention the environment, now you want them to pay for parking? Why not charge them for their time that we use when we need them? The council isn’t the greatest but it won’t get better with constant barrages of wanting more for less!

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=144006]

Break that £13k down over the year and you’d find most people wouldn’t do a job for that much, I certainly wouldn’t. Then expect them to pay for an IPad that is forced on them and has saved the Council money not to mention the environment, now you want them to pay for parking? Why not charge them for their time that we use when we need them? The council isn’t the greatest but it won’t get better with constant barrages of wanting more for less![/quote

You wouldn’t do the job for 13k ok, but it was their choice to do so, it was not forced on them. There are quite a few in the salary range 20k to 47k. Then again for most of them it is not their full time living. The reason for charging them for parking is quite simply, it is a way of generating income. Show leadership, you pay ,we pay.

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

But if they stopped using it or claimed the money back, as I’d imagine it would be an expense. Where the income being generated? It’s obvious the council needs money but this would be pittance. I’m sure we all know where they could save money there’s been plenty of threads on here.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=144008]But if they stopped using it or claimed the money back, as I’d imagine it would be an expense. Where the income being generated? It’s obvious the council needs money but this would be pittance. I’m sure we all know where they could save money there’s been plenty of threads on here.[/quote]

Looking at expenses being claimed back by Councillors, I get the impression the majority do not claim. As to the income generated I posted in another post,the Crown Buildings site for Council staff if charged for would generate 52k per annum. Just about enough to infill the potholes.

Invisible
    Participant

Think I mentioned booking of spaces early on, this mans clearly taking the mick. Being ‘ordinary’ I don’t have the subsequent ego required to be a top manager or councillor but i can see the wood for the trees. Don’t know his game but all he’s done is taken objective options for seriously deluded rank and file solutions. Whatever your name is, you don’t need to drop documents off, agile working and investment in paperless working should avoid that. Jesus, I can’t believe I’m even responding to such argument. Ask the people… 10 yrs ago, essential users and proximity parking. It’s not necessary now and it’s certainly not consistent. Just think of the health benefits to the aged population of councillors who may benefit from walking from the library or Crown spaces 😂 win win. If a public officer won’t make the effort to attend on the basis of paying and walking, given they can book or claim back, what’s their incentive to do for the people?

Matt
    Participant

Okay I think the plot has officially been lost here. We’re suggesting that “Top Management” in the council who are being paid a generous salary for all their responsibilities and duties would drive to the council car park, see no free spaces are available and then drive home? Because they are too stingy to pay a few quid for parking. I can tell you anyone with that attitude in their normal job used that excuse for not making it into work & they’d soon be out of a job. Makes them sound like a bunch of entitled snowflakes. Perhaps this should come into play to separate the wheat from the chaff – we only want the best running our local public services & if we are able to cull a few Big Time Charlies who are trying to live it up off perks rather than work hard for this county then so be it.

As for us needing to look after councillors, I thought it was supposed to be the other way round? They are elected as public servants, they are supposed to look after us. Suggesting that they need looking after implies they are old and frail and we need to stick them in a nice cushty retirement home – private of course where someone fluffs their pillows & sticks 2 marshmallows in their bedtime cocoa, because the ones in Wrexham under any kind of public provision will be stripped to the bone of funding & will be worse than Her Majesty’s Luxury Berwyn Gaff up the road.

This argument keeps going round and round like a merry go round.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News