Councillors Guildhall Car Park

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors Guildhall Car Park

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

I think it laughable that all of this fuss is made over guildhall parking and NOBODY has mentioned free staff parking at Crown Buildings where staff who have moved buildings still retain passes.
    The simple solution is to let managers and Councillors park there and open up the guildhall to short stay parking at a higher rate.
    For the purists, take both car parks away from council use and show me the money….
    Answers on a postcard or on the back of a sealed down envelope to the guildhall please

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=142839]Using the car park to carry out duties is one thing but that privilege is abused by councillors just nipping in to town or even the Welsh pub ( Saith Seren ) FACT .[/quote]

I am here now and no current ones are here…

KidA
    Participant

Cllr X, the majority of complainants are focussing on councillors as they are expected to lead by example especially as they are ultimately responsible for deciding on what cuts to make. Focussing on a staff car park where many officers probably use their cars throughout the day to carry out their duties, does not have the same resonance.

Truthbeknown
    Participant

sportsboy wrote:
    Using the car park to carry out duties is one thing but that privilege is abused by councillors just nipping in to town or even the Welsh pub ( Saith Seren ) FACT .

Councillor X wrote;
    I am here now and no current ones are here…

Why is there this “wind up the locals” attitude here? If there is justifiable need for cuts in services, then it needs to be fair, impartial for all and suffered by all. We pay a Tax for services provided and cutting very important aspects of this and keeping others will always be contentious.
    It’s unjustified, unfair and morally wrong to expect others to pay for parking while keeping it free for yourself, whether it’s daytime shopping or 11.30pm in the Pub it makes no odds, I pay, you pay no arguments. If its true and as you say there are other free car parks used by Councillor’s just for their convenience lets have it all out in the open and find out what the true costs and what cost savings available are.

Invisible
    Participant

If the car park is under-utilised then it’s lost income. When members agree attendance at a scheduled meeting then maybe withdraw access to the public such as full council meetings or exec board meetings. If attendance is known then a space can be allocated or booked? Let’s apply a bit of common sense and grant a space for said meeting, presumably to avoid the extra admin in claiming parking as an expense. That way you can maximise income when its empty. Makes too much sense maybe….
    As far as managers go they are employees and should be treated the same as the rest.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=143885]

Before reading this topic I had no intention of going to Ty Pawb when it opens but now I think I might!

Hahahahah. That’s what I’m convinced happened with the thread(s) on free car parking for councillors![/quote]

Free parking is not a privilege, its a necessity otherwise there would be chaos at half empty meetings.

Marvinuk
    Participant

Surely they could be given a pass that allows free parking at the appropiate time? There are enough car parks in walking distance.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=143886]

Before reading this topic I had no intention of going to Ty Pawb when it opens but now I think I might!

Hahahahah. That’s what I’m convinced happened with the thread(s) on free car parking for councillors!

Free parking is not a privilege, its a necessity otherwise there would be chaos at half empty meetings.[/quote]

Necessity? Oh, please. Meetings are attended, on time, by people all over the world without them needing to have free parking.

Councillor X
    Participant

Most towns and city have adequate parking or park and rides in which case free parking is not an issue but Wrexham does not which is why top managers and Councillors NEED to be able to park at ANY time.
    Posts here have said that Councillors park to do shopping or to go to the pub but they also come in for meetings. The parking department do not ask them why they are there because they are trusted officials so this is why they need permanent parking in a designated car park.
    if you let ordinary people park there then Councillors and Top Managers may not be able to come into work.

The acting Chief Executive Officer says he is going to review this and just because he gets his own parking space does not mean that he will not be fair.

Let the people who do the sums decide on who has what.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=143964
    if you let ordinary people park there then Councillors and Top Managers may not be able to come into work.

Are you saying Councillors and Top Managers are not ordinary people. If I go to town shopping and there is no space in Market Street, I look elsewhere. Why can they not do the same? or is it they are not ordinary as you imply.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News