Councillors Guildhall Car Park

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors Guildhall Car Park

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

£50,000 income from opening part of the Guildhall car park daily, would be extra income for no initial outlay. How difficult can it be to make such a decision ?

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=143000]£50,000 income from opening part of the Guildhall car park daily, would be extra income for no initial outlay. How difficult can it be to make such a decision ?[/quote]

Perhaps that is what will be decided today in the Difficult Decisions outcome.

If the Councillors and top Managers decide to give up their car parking spaces then good for them it will show up everyone who has complained here about them. If it happens i hope that the people who wanted this will pour praise on them and after a year print how much they have saved the Council.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=143001]

£50,000 income from opening part of the Guildhall car park daily, would be extra income for no initial outlay. How difficult can it be to make such a decision ?

Perhaps that is what will be decided today in the Difficult Decisions outcome.

If the Councillors and top Managers decide to give up their car parking spaces then good for them it will show up everyone who has complained here about them. If it happens i hope that the people who wanted this will pour praise on them and after a year print how much they have saved the Council.[/quote]

I have complained about Councillor and Managers free parking. Why if they decide to pay, would it show me up? Am I not allowed to constructively criticize? You come across as a Council bullyboy Councillor X.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=142990]

Generally Councillors do a good job so what is wrong with them parking for free? They do not get paid much and you could not expect them to pay to come to work.

I think jealousy plays a big part in this. They have something that other people want.
    [/quote]

Many council officials also do a good job and also get paid very little – they still have to make arrangements for parking and getting into work on time for normal working hours or meetings.

As for, “Could not expect them to pay to come to work?” – are you serious? That is what people do – they pay to travel to work by public transport or by car, or they factor in extra time and they walk or they cycle, etc. If parking is difficult or if their journey involves a toll or if they just want to save on costs they may organise car sharing, and so on.

As for councillors having something other people want – do you mean like a free car parking space?
    It isn’t jealousy; it is the principle that people should be treated equally – and that it would be nice, particularly in a climate of cuts and austerity, if councillors could lead by example.

Matt
    Participant

Clr Bithell has just nullified any argument for councillors keeping parking spaces for free. Based on this tweet from today’s meeting.

Clr Davies asks if charge penalises blue badge holders visiting town to raise money. Clr Bithell says ‘it is not an income generation’, says £ raised will be used to protect front line services.

If front line services need protecting, then it is vital that all council-owned parking bays need to be chargeable. Otherwise there is no justification for charging disabled vehicle users over free councillor parking.

MP1953
    Participant

Just a thought (and I do genuinely not know the answer)

If parking for blue badge holders in car parks becomes chargeable, what about parking on double yellow lines with a blue badge, will that be charged and if so how ?

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=143006]Just a thought (and I do genuinely not know the answer)

If parking for blue badge holders in car parks becomes chargeable, what about parking on double yellow lines with a blue badge, will that be charged and if so how ?[/quote]

I am no expert but the Report HEP/11/18 put before the Executive Board today reads :-To seek Executive Board approval for the introduction of car parking charges for disabled on all Council-operated car parks where charges apply.

If charging is passed and blue badge holders park up on town centre streets up until 11.00 as is now allowed, it could become a problem. However rest assured the Exec Board will have an answer to this.

MP1953
    Participant

[quote quote=143015]

Just a thought (and I do genuinely not know the answer)

If parking for blue badge holders in car parks becomes chargeable, what about parking on double yellow lines with a blue badge, will that be charged and if so how ?

I am no expert but the Report HEP/11/18 put before the Executive Board today reads :-To seek Executive Board approval for the introduction of car parking charges for disabled on all Council-operated car parks where charges apply.

If charging is passed and blue badge holders park up on town centre streets up until 11.00 as is now allowed, it could become a problem. However rest assured the Exec Board will have an answer to this.[/quote]

It is a tricky one, because I thought that disabled drivers (quite rightly) can park on yellow lines at any time, so therefore instead of going into car parks and paying they could just park on yellow lines, but as you say they will have thought about all that in the same way as they thought about the free December parking debacle 🤔😁😁 !!

Councillor X
    Participant

I have complained about Councillor and Managers free parking. Why if they decide to pay, would it show me up? Am I not allowed to constructively criticize? You come across as a Council bullyboy Councillor X.[/quote]

Dear Sir I am not Cllr Apsley or Clr Pritchard!

bubble
    Participant

Councillor X,

I never believed that you were a councillor, actually – but now I’m beginning to wonder.
    If Blue Badge holders have to pay for parking – and, in fact, I do not have an issue with this – then so should councillors. Everyone should have to pay for parking.

It is appalling that councillors even considered, for example, less frequent bin collections for constituents whilst preserving their own parking perks. Do they really think their own parking is more of a priority?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Employees smash Manchester Marathon in aid of North East Wales Mind

News

Calls for urgent clarity of future of nuclear energy developments in North Wales

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News