Councillors Guildhall Car Park

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors Guildhall Car Park

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=142872]A free car parking space is not a ‘tool of the trade’ that is required for someone to fulfill their job so unsure what Councillor X is referring to.[/quote]

My point is that parking has been reviewed plenty of times and top Managers and Councillors have kept their free parking while lower paid staff have had free parking removed or they have been moved to car parks in Crescent Road or Whitegate because they do not need to park close to where they work.

What if a Councillor or Manager cannot park? They would be unable to attend meetings in time. Think about what happened in December. All car park places had gone very quickly and people could not park. If this happened to a Councillor then there would be chaos and an investigation.

Free parking for the top men and women makes sense even if it means we have to cut other services or charge for parking in country parks and places like that.

wrexview
    Participant

The Guildhall car park is under used and is often almost empty. It divides easily into two areas, maybe the first step could be opening up half of it to the public daily. Have the Council calculated the potential income from such a proposal?

jimbow
    Participant

Councillor X wrote.
    What if a Councillor or Manager cannot park? They would be unable to attend meetings in time. Think about what happened in December. All car park places had gone very quickly and people could not park. If this happened to a Councillor then there would be chaos and an investigation.

I presume the car park behind the Guildhall which is barrier operated on weekdays and is used only for Council staff, will still be only available to Council staff. The only difference will be they will now have to pay. No such thing as not being able to park.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=142911]
    I presume the car park behind the Guildhall which is barrier operated on weekdays and is used only for Council staff, will still be only available to Council staff. The only difference will be they will now have to pay. No such thing as not being able to park.[/quote]

No, it will still be free for top officials and public barred until the weekend. The charges for the weekend are-
    Saturday and Sunday only
    63 spaces / 4 disabled
    0 – 1 hour – £1.00
    1 – 3 hours – £1.80

They would only make a few thousand pounds if they had it open to the public in the week. I think it is a small price to pay.

ALSO I think that the comment by sportsboy is not true
    “Using the car park to carry out duties is one thing but that privilege is abused by councillors just nipping in to town or even the Welsh pub ( Saith Seren ) FACT .”

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

Sportsboy may have a point, I’m sure there will be a lot of activity going on in the pub now one of our very own Plaid councillor is standing for election in Alyn and Deeside! What happened to her commitment to Wrexham? Career position springs to mind.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=142918]

I presume the car park behind the Guildhall which is barrier operated on weekdays and is used only for Council staff, will still be only available to Council staff. The only difference will be they will now have to pay. No such thing as not being able to park.

No, it will still be free for top officials and public barred until the weekend. The charges for the weekend are-
    Saturday and Sunday only
    63 spaces / 4 disabled
    0 – 1 hour – £1.00
    1 – 3 hours – £1.80

They would only make a few thousand pounds if they had it open to the public in the week. I think it is a small price to pay.

ALSO I think that the comment by sportsboy is not true
    “Using the car park to carry out duties is one thing but that privilege is abused by councillors just nipping in to town or even the Welsh pub ( Saith Seren ) FACT .”[/quote]
    If the 63 spaces were only used twice a day would bring in around £50k per year. The obvious change that would have to be made would be to change from short to long stay.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Councillors normally attend meetings at set times and are very unlikely to be going in and out of the car park so I really cant see the argument that Councillor X is putting forward. The only ones who may have’urgent’ need for their car would be Members who had a role such as a Fireman and they were on call. Others should ise normal spaces like the rest of the workers in town.

Councillor X is also valuing senior managers and Council Members above the actual workers who do the work whi get no perks.

Invisible
    Participant

If Councillor X is not a wind up I’ll eat my hat. That attitude is deplorable and if that’s the train of thought throughout the chamber I feel there will be no difficult decisions made after all. Time management, useful tool when you need to be somewhere, work it like the rest of us.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=142958]If Councillor X is not a wind up I’ll eat my hat. That attitude is deplorable and if that’s the train of thought throughout the chamber I feel there will be no difficult decisions made after all. Time management, useful tool when you need to be somewhere, work it like the rest of us.[/quote]

I’d be interested to know whether Councillor X is winding us up.

I don’t see why councillors should have reserved [&/or free] parking spaces. They will not be the only attendees at these meetings – if everyone else can get there on time then why can’t the councillors too?

In the real world people with cars have to find their own parking spaces, often at significant personal expense, and have to allow extra time to find these parking spaces to ensure that they arrive in good time for meetings and/or normal working hours. I honestly cannot see why this shouldn’t be the case for councillors. It might even give them some insight into what life is like when you’re not a councillor.

If they really can’t find a parking space, then they could travel to work by public transport – many of us do. That would probably give councillors some appreciation of how awful public transport is in Wrexham – but on the plus side they would not have to pay a parking fee.

Mainly I think that councillors should not be given preferential treatment in any way over the rest of us plebs, and that they should be seen to be subject to the same rules as us, and that they should be eager to demonstrate how they are on a par with the general public.

Many of us would like to be able to afford the convenience of a car – maybe we would be able to if we were given free parking too.

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=142986]

Mainly I think that councillors should not be given preferential treatment in any way over the rest of us plebs, and that they should be seen to be subject to the same rules as us, and that they should be eager to demonstrate how they are on a par with the general public.
    [/quote]

Generally Councillors do a good job so what is wrong with them parking for free? They do not get paid much and you could not expect them to pay to come to work.
    So what if they go shopping or to the pub? They are supporting local businesses and the shopkeepers shoppers the Monday market landlords and people in the pub get to meet a Councillor and to talk to them.
    Maybe make top managers pay a small fee of 50p to park and then there is some income and it will stop all of the people moaning. I think jealousy plays a big part in this. They have something that other people want.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News