Councillors Attendance

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillors Attendance

• Author

CerysHughes
    Participant

For me, if they haven’t got a sicknote they shouldn’t get paid, the same if they leave half way through a meeting, anyone else think the same?

Councillors attendance summary, 9 September 2014 – 4 March 2015 – WCBC

wrexview
    Participant

The vast majority appear to attend most meetings where they are actually members of the committee and many also go to extra meetings as a ” guest” to observe or speak. One female Councillor seems to have a much larger number of meetings she should attend compared to most other Councillors but has only managed to attend 59% of them. It looks like she is Vice chair of two committees . Perhaps there should be an extra column with reasons for absence.

BenjaminM
    Participant

I would certainly favour more punitive measures than that.
    When a Councillor takes on the role, with unquestionable certainty, they are aware of the commitment that the role entails.
    It is not a satisfactory reason to state ‘work commitments’ or a prearranged appointment, for non attendance at a meeting that they are obligated to attend – or else why take on the role in the first place?

As Sheefag stated on another thread, it is a gravy train that many are all too eager to jump aboard but are not willing to go along with the journey.

My ideal solution would be that if attendances fall below a certain percentage over a given period of time, it would automatically trigger another election to elect a replacement.

After listening to some of the broadcast meetings, it is quite clear to me that a significant number are there under sufferance and contribute little, or anything to the debate.
    Is it any wonder that they are the subject of criticism on an all too frequent basis for the complacency they display?

CerysHughes
    Participant

The following all attended less than half of the meetings they are supposed to:

Councillor Terry Boland (Llay – Labour)
    Councillor Mrs Dana Davies (Ruabon – Labour)
    Councillor A Keith Gregory (Smithfield – Plaid Cymru)
    Councillor Colin Powell (Queensway – Labour)
    Councillor Derek Wright (Cefn – Labour)

Scandalous, if no sicknote presented.

CerysHughes
    Participant

Two more…

Councillor Malcolm Taylor (Llay – Independent)
    Councillor David Taylor (Cefm – Wrexham Independents)

Glad I’m not living in Cefn or Llay.

jimbow
    Participant

Prospective Councillors now can see the wards that are easier targets in which to get elected.

Ponciau
    Participant

@CerysHughes 19436 wrote:

Two more…

Councillor Malcolm Taylor (Llay – Independent)
    Councillor David Taylor (Cefm – Wrexham Independents)

Glad I’m not living in Cefn or Llay.

For info cllr Malcom Taylor has been ill for some months and is currently in hospital for him to attend meetings at this present time is nigh on impossible I wish him well and hope he gets better soon

CerysHughes
    Participant

@Ponciau 19438 wrote:

For info cllr Malcom Taylor has been ill for some months and is currently in hospital for him to attend meetings at this present time is nigh on impossible I wish him well and hope he gets better soon

as said previously said, scandalous, if no sicknote. I wish him well too.

Does this mean you are a councillor from the same political grouping?

Pinky02
    Participant

@Ponciau 19438 wrote:

For info cllr Malcom Taylor has been ill for some months and is currently in hospital for him to attend meetings at this present time is nigh on impossible I wish him well and hope he gets better soon[/

Of course Councillors cannot attend meetings while they are in hospital, but when Ill health begins to interfere with a councillors ‘duties’, then surely it is time to resign and make way for someone else?

JRW
    Participant

I would largely agree with a lot of the comments on here.However the role of the individual Councillor has been reduced to virtually a mere interested onlooker since the Councils adopted the so called “Cabinet” system.The said “Cabinets” are little more than an elective dictatorship.

I think well overdue that we bring back the Committee system back to Councils.It would also bring back a little power and thus motivation to the individual Councillor.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News