Councillor wants action taken over Gresford travellers as soon as possible

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillor wants action taken over Gresford travellers as soon as possible

• Author

Stoneagle
    Participant

Nen – the Welsh Assembly Government stipulate that every area of Wales has to have Traveller Sites. It’s a legal requirement, not optional. They have to be near to schools and near to local amenities. It’s all on the WAG website.

The Pont y Capel Lane site (Llay side, part of Alyn Waters, according to the opposition campaign) was proposed as one of these required sites, as was Brymbo, but there’s been a lot of opposition.

If we refuse to agree on sites for the required numbers of people the WAG will TELL us where the sites will be, we’ll have no choice.

Wrexham, apparently has been breaking the law for years by not providing the required Traveller Sites. So, we have to sort this out somehow. I don’t envy the task local Councillors have.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out, and how it’s resolved. I believe Travellers were recently moved on from the Gredington too.

Council Watcher
    Participant

It is correct that there is a legal requirement for each county to have a site- this, however, is still not the case across all counties of Wales- there is also ambiguity about the number of caravan pitches required for both static and ‘travellers’ hence the added controversy. In some areas travellers have bought their own land – the most controversial in Wrexham was the establishment of ‘Berryland’ just past Ysgol Clywedog- fighting this cost the Council many £100’s of thousands of pounds.

Idris
    Participant

[quote quote=152569]Travellers have set up camp on a field on the Gresford side of Pont y Capel Lane, with the local councillor looking for prompt action to have them removed.

Cllr Atkinson, local residents and the Chair of the Community Council have been in touch with Wrexham Council and the police to have the travellers moved on.

Cllr Atkinson told us: “Not in my back yard, that is why we want to stick travellers in Llay out of the way of all of the nice people!”

[/quote]

No longer in his backyard now after he Tweeted …..

Andrew Atkinson
    ‏@andrew4wrexham

I’ve followed the travellers through Llay and across the Flintshire border. Not sure their destination, still a few caravans in Gresford. In touch with police will update in morning.

Instead of negotiating with and helping the Travellers he is keen to get shot. They can f**K off to somebody else’s land now they are no longer his problem.

Glad he is so understanding – He gets my Vote!

Idris
    Participant

I can remember someone else who hated the gypsies!

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=152737]
    No longer in his backyard now after he Tweeted …..

Andrew Atkinson
    ‏@andrew4wrexham

I’ve followed the travellers through Llay and across the Flintshire border. Not sure their destination, still a few caravans in Gresford. In touch with police will update in morning.

Instead of negotiating with and helping the Travellers he is keen to get shot. They can f**K off to somebody else’s land now they are no longer his problem.

Glad he is so understanding – He gets my Vote!

[/quote]

Idris, I actually had to go double check that as it sounded so ridiculous it came across like a joke tweet – nope, it’s legit.

Why is Andrew acting like the County Sheriff? Chasing travellers around across county borders at 11.30pm! Seriously, what is going on. They were clearly not doing anything wrong if he was unable to call the police there and then. So what gives him the right to aggressively pursue people?

Imagine if they’d have got out of their cars and challenged him. If he was following around families late at night who were not of traveller origin the police would have been called on him!

Wrexham has become Royston Vasey. This really is lunacy.

Matt
    Participant

How many of Wrexham Council’s Code of Ethics have been broken here?

Examples of ways in which a member may break an Authority’s Code of Conduct include:

1) behaving in a way that negatively affects their Authority’s reputation; – the LDP wants to make sure that Travellers have a place to live in Wrexham County. How is chasing them out of the county like a vigilante at 11.30pm at night aligning with that goal or securing WCBC’s reputation as somewhere that does not discriminate against the traveller community?

2) using their position unfairly to gain an advantage for themselves or someone else – or to do someone else down; – doing a family of Travellers down using their elected Executive Board position to think he has the right to pursue them at night time.

3) improper use of their authority’s resources;

4) failing to declare an interest;

5) bullying behaviour; – I don’t think we need to say anymore on this one – actions in 1 and 2 speak for themselves

6) failing to treat everybody equally; and – An ordinary family of other non traveller origin would not have been chased out of the county.

7) revealing confidential information about individuals without good reason. – Although he failed, he was effectively attempting to Dox the travellers by working out where they were going to settle – meaning that because he had not got the police involved. Had he publicly published the whereabouts of the new traveller location, they could have been subjected to harassment/danger from members of the public.

Travis Bickle
    Participant

If the Travellers broke down, at least they wouldn’t have to wait long for The A.A

Idris
    Participant

[quote quote=152763]If the Travellers broke down, at least they wouldn’t have to wait long for The A.A[/quote]

I wish this had a “Like” button!

Hugh Bet
    Participant

Gypsies and Travellers are protected from discrimination by the Race Relations Act 1976 and the Human Rights Act 1998, together with all ethnic groups who have a particular culture, language or values.

‘haps Sir Andrew could put up a few polite signs to deter the travellers in future rather than chasing them from his batch of land.

Or is he afraid of losing income by them helping Gresford folk by doing odd jobs in exchange for a small payment?

Andrewmackembailey
    Participant

[quote quote=152769]

If the Travellers broke down, at least they wouldn’t have to wait long for The A.A

I wish this had a “Like” button!

[/quote]

That is not my preferred picture from that particular visit. The best was Laura Kunesberg chasing Alun Cairns around the building as he muttered “ Nothing has changed” before he scuttled back in through the side door!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News