Councillor Steps down from Executive Board (merged)

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillor Steps down from Executive Board (merged)

• Author

Anonymous
    Inactive

The lemmings are leaping!

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=144338]The lemmings are leaping![/quote]

Only to be replaced by somebody climbing a ladder

Idris
    Participant

Council Watcher
    Participant

Congratulations to Cllr Paul Rogers if it is true that he has put his own local Brymbo electorate before retaining his place on the Executive even though he is going to lose quite a sizable sum of money. Rather than resign a vote against an Executive proposal would have been as symbolic as well.

It does, however, show that unless Cllr Pritchard can have all of the Executive in favour of every proposal then their days are numbered. Looks like he still has all the puppet strings in his hand as Cllr Atkinson will certainly toe the Party line with Cllr Hugh Jones making sure he does not step out of line- he is also probably trying to line himself up to replace Cllr Jones as Deputy Leader.

Perhaps the LDP report has been bounced for next month as there is possibly more than one Executive member away and Cllr Pritchard does not have the Cllr Bitthel Group of Independents signed up yet.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

I know experience is not everything, but as a long in the tooth, way past her sell by date old trollop myself, I think that being a local Councillor for little more than 8 months hardly qualifies Mr A to become a Lead Member on the Executive Board. I know experience can be only be gained over time, but surely for such ‘an important’ position their must be someone better suited to the role.

ps
    Council Watcher only one t in Bithell!

pps
    Nice graphic Idris

Matt
    Participant

Well, well, well another yes man joins the Tory-led Executive Board – when will the independents on the board finally drop their kayfabe?

Of course Clr Atkinson will probably be the picture of compliance. But will he be able to deal with Difficult Decisions easily & increased scrutiny? Only time will tell. When you’re a nice guy, it’s like being between a rock & a hard place when you want to please everyone but be subject to pushing through unpopular policies. I do remember correctly some awkward questioning in regards to his position on fox hunting, fracking etc… in the general election build up last year. Of course there were awkward questions after the elections as well, but that’s neither here nor there at the moment ;)

It is of course of major concern to a number of Wrexham residents that we are actually unable to communicate with a member of the Executive board, concerning when they make decisions that affect all of our lives because Clr Atkinson has unfortunately blocked a large number of local Labour voters both on Facebook & Twitter. He has also made it clear that unless we are resident within his ward that other methods of communication will be ignored.

Will Clr Aktinson with his new senior responsibilities do the right thing and open up communication channels with the people of Wrexham again, even if he disagrees with them politically?

steveg
    Participant

An irony that the new Lead Member for anti-poverty picks up an additional £16000 in salary.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=144374]An irony that the new Lead Member for anti-poverty picks up an additional £16000 in salary.[/quote]

the new Lead Member for anti-poverty is now publicly accusing local residents and ratepayers on Facebook of “being abusive, spreading continual lies and smears” with no actual evidence to back-up these claims, just because they are activists for the Labour party. I do not think this is very professional of someone of that level of seniority within the council.

These claims are just a straw man tactic to avoid issues regarding conduct of the Conservative Party in the last General Election.

I know the local council press office reads this forum and I’d like them to know personally that I don’t think those on senior pay as elected public officials have any business of trying to throw such accusations about against local residents.

zinger
    Participant

Whilst not following AA on twitter or anywhere else for that matter, I have seen posts in the past on the Wrexham Matters FB group which were very vitriolic when the guy was just making a regular comment about, I think it was advocating a Nightingale House event in town, whatever, it was a charitable event of some kind. Nobody should have to put up with that sort of abuse no matter what political persuasion they are. He is a human being with a young family after all. It was enough to put anyone people off voting never mind posting.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=144397]Whilst not following AA on twitter or anywhere else for that matter, I have seen posts in the past on the Wrexham Matters FB group which were very vitriolic when the guy was just making a regular comment about, I think it was advocating a Nightingale House event in town, whatever, it was a charitable event of some kind. Nobody should have to put up with that sort of abuse no matter what political persuasion they are. He is a human being with a young family after all. It was enough to put anyone people off voting never mind posting.[/quote]

Well I think there are people who go too far against politicians and public figures nationally and locally in terms of being highly aggressive and threatening. It is a real problem in general. However, politicians use examples of this sort of abuse as a smokescreen to also lump in activists from opposition parties who just debate and campaign hard and ask them tough questions that they don’t want to answer or come out with strong criticism. Probably no worse than the grilling Paxman gives politicians or the type of satirical comments / imagery that comes out of the likes of Private Eye. If people are being put off posting in political environments and from voting then it’s also because of the ridiculous bullying accusations and abuse labelling that come when people directly challenge those in authority, whether it be within a local authority situation, community council situation, government or even inner party workings (Labour still unfortunately has a huge internal problem at the moment).

People who are not that confident when speaking up and don’t know that they have every right in this country to criticise whom they please whilst adopting a reasonable public demeanour will not want to get politically engaged when they are constantly being told all the time that they are wrong to be questioning the status quo.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News