Councillor Performance Indicators

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillor Performance Indicators

• Author

Rob
    Participant

After trawling attendance records and data requests one thing has struck me – what would be a good set of measures regarding Councillor performances?

The raw ‘official’ public data is limited to attendance data here. The data is purely numerical , and not linked to give further information on apologies or the like. Similarly there is no data on other types of meetings or events.

I have done a quick tabulation / sort below – something that isnt on the council site.

The issue with this is its very raw with no context – so as per the thread title – what indicators would be useful?

Expected: The number of meetings that the Councillor was expected to attend in their capacity as a member of a committee.

Present: The number of meetings that the Councillor attended in their capacity as a member of that committee.

Name Expected Present %age attendance
    Andrew Bailey 19 19 100
    R J Dutton OBE 10 10 100
    D J Griffiths 11 11 100
    Hugh Jones 8 8 100
    J A Kelly KSG 15 15 100
    Geoff Lowe 9 9 100
    Carole O’Toole 11 11 100
    Paul H Pemberton 13 13 100
    John Phillips 9 9 100
    Mrs J M B Roberts 16 16 100
    Neil Rogers 13 13 100
    Steve Wilson 14 14 100
    Phil Wynn 13 13 100
    John Pritchard 20 19 95
    Brian Cameron 17 16 94
    O Arfon Jones 17 16 94
    Barbara Roxburgh 17 16 94
    Lloyd Kenyon 15 14 93
    T Alan Edwards 13 12 92
    David Kelly 13 12 92
    M C King OBE 13 12 92
    Bernie McCann 23 21 91
    Ronnie Prince 10 9 90
    I David Bithell MBE 9 8 89
    Paul Rogers 9 8 89
    William Baldwin 16 14 88
    Michael Williams 8 7 88
    M G Morris 15 13 87
    Graham Rogers 15 13 87
    Kevin Hughes 13 11 85
    David Taylor 13 11 85
    Dana Louise Davies 19 16 84
    Mark Pritchard 12 10 83
    J R Skelland 12 10 83
    David A Bithell 11 9 82
    Colin Powell 11 9 82
    R Alun Jenkins 16 13 81
    Mike Edwards 21 17 81
    Andy Williams 15 12 80
    Derek Wright 19 15 79
    Mrs J M Lowe 9 7 78
    Anne Evans 16 12 75
    Mark Owens 12 9 75
    I Roberts 12 9 75
    Terry Evans 17 12 71
    G W Griffiths 9 6 67
    Paul Blackwell 8 5 63
    P Jeffares 7 4 57
    Terry Boland 9 5 56
    Malcolm Taylor 10 5 50
    Krista Childs 9 4 44
    A Keith Gregory 10 4 40

In attendance table: The number of meetings that the Councillor attended in a capacity other than committee member, for example, attending a meeting out of personal interest or because a topic being discussed affects a Members’ ward.

Councillor In Attendance
    Andrew Bailey 7
    Carole O’Toole 7
    R Alun Jenkins 6
    Derek Wright 6
    R J Dutton OBE 5
    D J Griffiths 5
    O Arfon Jones 5
    Bernie McCann 5
    Mark Pritchard 5
    Steve Wilson 5
    Phil Wynn 5
    T Alan Edwards 4
    Neil Rogers 4
    David Taylor 4
    William Baldwin 3
    David A Bithell 3
    I David Bithell MBE 3
    Paul Blackwell 3
    Brian Cameron 3
    Krista Childs 3
    Hugh Jones 3
    Mrs J M Lowe 3
    Barbara Roxburgh 3
    J R Skelland 3
    Dana Louise Davies 2
    Anne Evans 2
    P Jeffares 2
    David Kelly 2
    Lloyd Kenyon 2
    M C King OBE 2
    John Phillips 2
    John Pritchard 2
    Graham Rogers 2
    Andy Williams 2
    Mike Edwards 1
    J A Kelly KSG 1
    Geoff Lowe 1
    M G Morris 1
    Mark Owens 1
    Paul H Pemberton 1
    Colin Powell 1
    I Roberts 1
    Mrs J M B Roberts 1
    Paul Rogers 1
    Michael Williams 1
    Terry Boland 0
    Terry Evans 0
    A Keith Gregory 0
    G W Griffiths 0
    Kevin Hughes 0
    Ronnie Prince 0
    Malcolm Taylor 0

(above data covers ‘Period commencing: 05/2013’)

jamie-jbit
    Participant

They way they vote on key issues is recorded isn’t it? I’m not 100% how that would fit in with your data though.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

So have you contacted the lower councillors for a right of reply?

what if they were ill or had a health problem and unable to attend?

Rob
    Participant

@thewayneinspain 9247 wrote:

So have you contacted the lower councillors for a right of reply?

what if they were ill or had a health problem and unable to attend?

A right to reply to what?

As per initial post
    The raw ‘official’ public data is limited to attendance data here. The data is purely numerical , and not linked to give further information on apologies or the like. Similarly there is no data on other types of meetings or events.

The issue with this is its very raw with no context

Should the higher Councillors get a ‘right to reply’ on why they have attended meetings, likewise those with middling records?!

The point is the data out there is limited… so what data would be useful?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@Rob 9248 wrote:

A right to reply to what?

As per initial post

The issue with this is its very raw with no context

Should the higher Councillors get a ‘right to reply’ on why they have attended meetings, likewise those with middling records?!

The point is the data out there is limited… so what data would be useful?

If a councilor is suffering from health problems, yes they should.

we all have a right at work not to enter our workplace because we are ill. The same should be for councillors. Councillors should have a right to reply, so that electorate can decide for themselves what is an acceptable level given their illness.

When the MP expenses scandal happened, the newspapers still went and tried to get a right of reply from the MPs.

However, If you aren’t willing to be a newspaper, then it’s fine to publish something without trying to get to the bottom of the reason why some councillors have a low attendance figure..

Even the evening leader has right of reply.

Rob
    Participant

Right – so that is something that can be improved in terms of the data put in public, if a valid reason has been given :d Likewise publication of valid reasons / who decides – otherwise that could be politicised.

Essentially what you are saying is prior to cut and pasting data from the Council website is I should have emailed all Councillors asking for details on their health prior to hitting ‘post’. I think you have said you have tried contacting cllrs before without much joy, so in theory there would be no discussion.

In the hope to make this a useful thread I have noted down stuff that could give extra context:
    – type of meeting
    – time of meeting (some may only be able to attend evening meetings)
    – day of week meeting
    – councillors employment
    – ‘paid’ meeting (ie. attendance of a meeting where cllr has extra allowance)
    – did they participate

It could be interesting to see time of attendance as well, as some do leave earlier than others.

Likewise as per inital post, is attendance a worthwhile metric?

Do people want cllrs to attend and do nothing… or is there something extra that can be measured?

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

You seem to be criticising Rob for re-publishing the raw data in a table format? I don’t see the problem. Rob then asks what indicators should be included in the councils raw data. Every other gov dept is audited or efficiency and value for money…Why not our elected officials?

Rob
    Participant

Looking around its interesting to see what other councils put in public:

Attendance record – Councillor Gareth Anderson
    Meeting attendance – Meeting of Council on Thursday, 16th May, 2013, 5.00 pm

so Chester/Cheshire have linked data for absent/apologies/present

Flintshire do similar – Committee Meetings – Agendas, Reports and Minutes – Flintshire County Council giving attendance percentage, number of apologies and percentages of those as well.

Both also list if a representative was sent instead as well, all more detail than the current WCBC method WCBC: Members Attendance Record – Councillor Andrew Bailey

(note random cllrs used)

NJones
    Participant

Interesting that Councillor Andrew Bailey attends everything but when I tried emailing him recently he didn’t bother to reply to me. Maybe some councillors attend for the free coffee?

thewayneinspain
    Participant

@thunderbirdskid 9252 wrote:

You seem to be criticising Rob for re-publishing the raw data in a table format? I don’t see the problem. Rob then asks what indicators should be included in the councils raw data. Every other gov dept is audited or efficiency and value for money…Why not our elected officials?

I’m criticising wrexham.com for not getting a right of reply from the councillors. If a councillor is only attending 60% of meetings, i would like to know why. After all councillors get a generous wage from the residents’ council tax. So rather than just print a simple spreadsheet, he should spend 5minutes in a skypecall to the actuall councillor and get a reply why?

Our elected officials should get much more scrutiny than an attendance record

voting records being the most importance issue etc. For instance I’d like to know:
    If my councillor voted for the design of the eyesore meadow,
    if they voted for the wrexham village
    if they are responsible for the secondary schools
    etc.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News

Wrexham Council awaits Welsh Government guidance on 20MPH changes and welcomes community input

News

New role for Big Nev as Gŵyl Wal Goch returns to Wrexham for 2024!

News

Hydro Announces £13m Investment in State-of-the-Art Scrap Sorting Facility at Wrexham Plant

News

Fearless fundraisers to scale their biggest challenge yet for children’s hospices

News

Plans submitted for microbrewery on Wrexham farm

News