Councillor Pensions

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillor Pensions

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

Between April 2016 and March 2017 Councillors in Wrexham contributed £22,786 from their councillor pay into the pension fund. I believe the figure to be 6% of their pay. To this,the Council also have to contribute a % of that total.

When you think that councillor pay is really pin money, and not a total persons wage on which they require to exist.

Given this, as quite a few Councillors are already in receipt of a government pension, it seems rather rich that they should seek to gain from such a project, and expect ratepayers to fund the project in these days of cuts.

Council Watcher
    Participant

There is a huge deficit in the Local Government Pension scheme ( in Wrexham it is the old Clwyd Local Government scheme) so in addition to the amount being allocated to the individual there is also 20% plus that is being paid to cover the deficit.
    As the staff numbers contributing are reducing with cutbacks over a period of time the contribution to fund the deficit is likely to be close to 30% within 5 years. Poor financial investments in the past mean local ratepayers today are now paying for historical failings.

flipper
    Participant

Jimbow iv got to ask are you for real? I’m not an admirer of councillors am’s or mp’s but someone’s got to do it, your comments take the biscuit what next I wonder are you going to comment about people who work for the NHS Police and Fire Brigade that have a pension.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=140968]Jimbow iv got to ask are you for real? I’m not an admirer of councillors am’s or mp’s but someone’s got to do it, your comments take the biscuit what next I wonder are you going to comment about people who work for the NHS Police and Fire Brigade that have a pension.[/quote]
    Yes I am for real. Why should ratepayers be asked to contribute to what is a second income. I have no problem with a pension for anybody else. Read the thread properly.

flipper
    Participant

Good god man get a life the way you going you will be putting a charge on them to breathe next haven’t you got anything better to do other than stirring up negative stuff like this. As I said I’m not the biggest fan of Councillors especially what they did to Plas Madoc. I would imagine some of our taxes end up paying towards the pension pots of the services iv mention.

jimbow
    Participant

If you think that spending ratepayers money in this way and then having to cut services in order to make ends meet is negative, then so be it.

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

Everyone has a right to a pension we can’t go back to the days where people weren’t offered one.

zinger
    Participant

Whilst I see what you are saying jimbow, not all County Councillors are employed elsewhere. Only a large multinational company could afford to pay someone to take so much time off to attend meetings.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=140984]Everyone has a right to a pension we can’t go back to the days where people weren’t offered one.[/quote]
    I agree. I am talking about a pension on a second income. Take a look at the list of Councilors paying into the pension fund. Ex retired council officials on a government pension, now seeking further pension from being a councillor.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=140986]Whilst I see what you are saying jimbow, not all County Councillors are employed elsewhere. Only a large multinational company could afford to pay someone to take so much time off to attend meetings.[/quote]
    Of the 10 members of the last Executive Board only 4 of the 10 made pension contributions. I applaud the 6 who did not.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News