Councillor Pay Rise

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillor Pay Rise

• Author

Matt
    Participant

We’re going through some very difficult decisions and savings of £10,400 can be had in 2018/2019 if councillors choose not to take a pay rise of £200 each.

Normal public sector workers are getting a 1% increase only with councillors expecting to see an above average rise of 1.5% if recommendations go through.

Of course these rises will be paid for as part of a 3-5% council tax rate increase.

So the bottom line is the good people of Wrexham would be paying more money for fewer services as cuts bite through and in contrast councillors would be paid more for delivering fewer services. Something doesn’t seem quite right there.

Now there are some councillors who do work hard both in their local communities and for the county and arguably in less austere times would warrant a higher salary. But if we’re all in it together, everyone facing cuts, then symbolically they cannot accept a pay rise. Or they make a mockery of the kids who lose a free breakfast in the morning, those forced to pay out more for care they require to survive, the cutting to the bone of the family information service, which is actually very useful to first time young parents, or the taking of PCSOs off our streets.

Councillor X
    Participant

Many Councillors do work hard, others, not so hard.

Council staff have an annual review to see if they deserve a pay increase so would it not be fair to have a similar scheme for Councillors?

Those who have turned up at meetings and can prove they have made an impact get the money but the bad ones do not.

flipper
    Participant

look at the allowances assembly members and mp get its mad what about them cutting their allowance no chance and it’s the same with the councillors I would imagine? Frankly I wouldn’t do what they do for a gold clock. The reason we are in this mess is the massive borrowing by sucsessive labour governments, we are now paying the price, I agree councillors do get payed to much but our Am’s & mp’s have a part to play also lobby them, after all it’s down to them that we are in this dreadful mess.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=140762]look at the allowances assembly members and mp get its mad what about them cutting their allowance no chance and it’s the same with the councillors I would imagine? Frankly I wouldn’t do what they do for a gold clock. The reason we are in this mess is the massive borrowing by sucsessive labour governments, we are now paying the price, I agree councillors do get payed to much but our Am’s & mp’s have a part to play also lobby them, after all it’s down to them that we are in this dreadful mess.[/quote]

Multiple layers of bureaucracy and those doing the deeds on a UK-wide, Welsh and county level basis are seen to be running everywhere into the dogs and are getting well publicised pay rises whilst everyone else is facing pay freezes, which are in reality cuts when inflation is carrying on, including incredibly damaging spikes in housing costs and fuel/utilities.

A lobby does need to be put in place nationally and many are fighting the good fight. But right here and right now local councillors are just not doing good enough within the means that have been provided to them. So we begin locally on a local platform. I mean how much money was wasted in legal challenges on the Groves site – I believe well over £100,000. That money could have had a boatload of better uses serving the community.

wrexview
    Participant

Councillors do not have to take this pay rise , they can choose on an individual basis to accept or refuse it. Their choice will be reflected in the published table of allowances claimed on the Council website, next year.

Council Watcher
    Participant

Some have taken pay rises in the past and then they have said they have donated it back to a Charity

flipper
    Participant

Matt I agree, however if these Tory cuts to all local authorities weren’t there surely local authorities wouldn’t be in the mess they are right now. Don’t get me wrong it’s a smack in the face to all the hard working people seeing the councillors have a wage rise, is it just Wrexham councillors thats having the rise? You mention the groves again I agree what an absolute waste of tax payers money, again in my opinion the involvement of a cabinet member before the run up to the assembly elections, resulting in the listing of the building. Shocking if you ask me. Having said that the consultants, arts hub, again what a waste of tax payers money. Frankly I don’t know what the answer is.

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

[quote quote=140767]

look at the allowances assembly members and mp get its mad what about them cutting their allowance no chance and it’s the same with the councillors I would imagine? Frankly I wouldn’t do what they do for a gold clock. The reason we are in this mess is the massive borrowing by sucsessive labour governments, we are now paying the price, I agree councillors do get payed to much but our Am’s & mp’s have a part to play also lobby them, after all it’s down to them that we are in this dreadful mess.

Multiple layers of bureaucracy and those doing the deeds on a UK-wide, Welsh and county level basis are seen to be running everywhere into the dogs and are getting well publicised pay rises whilst everyone else is facing pay freezes, which are in reality cuts when inflation is carrying on, including incredibly damaging spikes in housing costs and fuel/utilities.

A lobby does need to be put in place nationally and many are fighting the good fight. But right here and right now local councillors are just not doing good enough within the means that have been provided to them. So we begin locally on a local platform. I mean how much money was wasted in legal challenges on the Groves site – I believe well over £100,000. That money could have had a boatload of better uses serving the community.[/quote]

And look at the who fought to save the Groves to earn a few extra votes, the same ones who are shouting off about budget cuts! You couldn’t make it up!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News