Councillor end of term reports

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Councillor end of term reports

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

There is a proposal going to a Scrutiny meeting next Wednesday which if adopted sets out a process for ALL Council Members to produce an annual report on their activities over the past year.
    https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/MinutesData/DemServs/Reports/De%20Agenda%20and%20Reports%20Pack160714.pdf

This has been an option for a number of years but as far as I am away this has never been taken up. This should be a way for the electorate to find out what their own Councilor has been up to — this report along with the proposed TV coverage should prevent ANY Councilor from hiding from the electorate and bring forward a more transparent approach to the way our Council is governed.

PhilWynn
    Participant

As a member of the Democratic Services Committee I am in total agreement that the elected members Annual Statement is a good idea and a way for us to list what we do to justify our allowance. Unfortunately only 20 of the 52 members completed a statement, so still a long way to go before all of of us have been won over. That’s the challenge.

My link to my 2012/13 statement is: https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/members/membersannualreports/phil_wynn.pdf

Hope this demonstrates to you Derek that the process has started.

Cllr Phil Wynn

DerekJackson
    Participant

Phil
    Many thanks for this and good to see that you have entered into this process pity about your 30 plus colleagues–..
    It s also a pity that this info is not made know to the electorate it was a chance look at next weeks Scrutiny papers I came across this item.
    I also think the Council should produce a matrix showing attendance.

PhilWynn
    Participant

@DerekJackson 13951 wrote:

Phil
    Many thanks for this and good to see that you have entered into this process pity about your 30 plus colleagues–..
    It s also a pity that this info is not made know to the electorate it was a chance look at next weeks Scrutiny papers I came across this item.
    I also think the Council should produce a matrix showing attendance.

I agree a simpler way of displaying elected member attendance would be desirable but equally as important those meeting which members have left before the end. You’ll be surprised how often this happens but then again maybe not.

Cllr Phil Wynn

PhilWynn
    Participant

I forgot to mention if anyone has any suggestions on how to improve the elected members’ “Annual Statement” then please do so via this link, preferably before the Democratic Services meeting which is being held this coming Wednesday.

Cllr Phil Wynn

jimbow
    Participant

I would like to see included,how many times, and on what issues, Councillors abstain from voting.

BenjaminM
    Participant

The attendance or non attendance of Councillors is already shown on the WCBC website if you care to look. I have personally challenged my local Councillor on his/her attendance record, from information gleaned off the site.
    And as far as simplification goes, I think that anyone would struggle to come up with a more user friendly method of reproducing those statistics.

DerekJackson
    Participant

Benjamin — please provide the link
    Also does anyone know what the minimum attendance is to still qualify as surly there must be something — they can’t be kept in as a member if there is no attendance.

BenjaminM
    Participant

WCBC site. In search box type in ‘members attendance records’ which brings up a list of choices. The one you need is probably the first one shown.
    Just been on it, so I know it’s there.

DerekJackson
    Participant

This makes interesting reading with only Bob Dutton and Carole O’Tool being 100% attendance and couple more with missing 1 or 2 meetings — some as low an as 50%. I will not make any sweeping comments as there nay be personal reasons beyond their control for non attendance.

I wonder how this would change if it was a lower allowance and payment by attendance. The other measure of participation of your local Councilor is not just how many meetings but how many have they participated in

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News