Council ‘Wont Cave In To Welsh Government Pressure’ Over Possible Groves Listing

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council ‘Wont Cave In To Welsh Government Pressure’ Over Possible Groves Listing

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

It was very odd to read through the Wrexham.Com article on this question. Anyone would draw the conclusion that a script was circulating between Councillors. Surely not!

After all, given that this matter is a heritage question as well as an Education matter, surely the Councillors could look at allocating a proportion of another budget to the matter whilst it is resolved rather than merely repeating the idea that short term preservation will have to draw off Education. Indeed, since the aesthetic appearance of the town (or often lack of it) has to be of interest to the Destination Wrexham team, perhaps some budget allocation from here could occur. In fact, any number of projects could be shaved if desired by the Councillors and it might be good if they did not try and pull the wool over the eyes of their Constituents…….or am I missing something?

Liz Jackson
    Participant

The Council are playing smoke and mirrors – the Groves is not in the budget within Education and hasn’t been for a number of years as it sits with the Head of Housing and Economy– used to be Economic and Assets– they are responsible for ALL Council property. The Groves moved from an Education Asset after St Josephs left after their temporary occupation.

Nen
    Participant

I don’t see what all the fuss is about Groves – the building is an eyesore now. I can only think that it’s nostalgia from people who went to school there and don’t want that taken away.

Dragon
    Participant

Liz,

After contacting the council yesterday they confirmed that the money needed for the Groves will come from the education budget, I suggest you check all your facts are correct and true in future as this is not the first time you have posted misleading information.

Dragon

Liz Jackson
    Participant

Dragon more than happy to check my facts but I suggest you get your Council source to put in writing that the money is coming from the Education budget as well.
    The system for Local Government is that funding from the Welsh Government is based on a formula for number of children and some additional variables. The funding comes ring fenced and the LA have to use it for the delivery of education- to use it for the purpose to keep a redundant building up would not comply with the funding arrangements.
    The use of ‘school budget’ for non education purpose has been proved to be inappropriate and a school in Powys have just had this proved when they had been caught using education delivery funding to bus children in from outside of their catchment area- an expenditure not permitted.
    In the case of the Groves it is within the portfolio of Assets and Economic Development whose head is Steve Bayley – Education is the responsibility of John Davies. I suggest that you write to both of them asking which one of them is paying for the security and other works.
    If I am wring then every parent in the county should be asking why money is being withheld from the education of their child in school.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News