Council Turn around on Culture Trust – what next Arts Hub!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council Turn around on Culture Trust – what next Arts Hub!

• Author

Council Watcher
    Participant

The change of track by the Council from having a Culture Trust to keeping in house is yet another example of unnecessary heartache for the staff at all levels- The Chief Librarian has just left the Council having been awarded the Best Librarian Award in Wales and many personal accolades due to his position not being in the intended structure of the Trust. What a phenomenal waste of expertise.

When on earth would anyone want to take on a project that delivers free services to the public unless there was a massive subsidy from the Council or Welsh Government.

The same will be the issue with the Arts Hub– the Council have now admitted they got is wrong (research ideas yes but not push them along when their own due diligence shows failure).

Vanity projects such as these should be stopped at ponce and the Council admit that they do get things wring some time — there needs to be a rethink of the whole Arts Hub now!

It is a disgrace that market traders in the Peoples Market have been given six months notice to vacate when the Council haven’t even got final plans or a contractor signed up to deliver the project.

Alunh
    Participant

Interesting……..it will be interesting to see how this all pans out………..I hope it works……..but I lack optimism based upon what I see and hear

Nen
    Participant

It amazes me how Wrexham Council seem to be able to reduce everything down to money – some things (like arts, culture, etc) are more important than pound signs.

Alunh
    Participant

Really Nen? All services are competing for scarce resource and WCBC have to determine whether the Arts gets a slice of the pie at the expense of something else. This is actually how it all works.

Nen
    Participant

[quote quote=115930]Really Nen? All services are competing for scarce resource and WCBC have to determine whether the Arts gets a slice of the pie at the expense of something else. This is actually how it all works.

[/quote]

I know that. But if you judged every culture decision on a financial basis you’d never have any libraries, public art, statues, museums, etc.

A library or a new school? The public will want the school. A statue or another nurse? You get the gist.

Alunh
    Participant

In which case Nen, I quite agree. That said, the Council have to determine an overall Budget and strike a balance between raising Rates and providing Services and when they get their Budget agreed, they then have to determine how much goes to Culture. When that has been agreed, a battle then goes on about specifics and, for example, the Arts Hub is in competition for resources with (say) the Stiwt if resources are required.

Clearly if the Council can virtually opt out of the logistical equation by having a Trust in play (which will aim for self-sufficiency or be spoon-fed from Cardiff) this lessens any implications for the Council’s finances, but if that is not feasible, other areas will have to cross-subsidise the decisions now being made. This is why Council Watcher is merely expressing a note of pessimism about the current train on the current tracks

steveg
    Participant

The next step should be to return the Oriel gallery to its rightful place as part of the library complex, and let the police use the current Chester Road premises. A good town centre location, adequate parking, accessible to the public.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News