Council staff parking at Crown Buildings

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council staff parking at Crown Buildings

• Author

Councillor X
    Participant

If the Councillors and top management were moved to the staff car par at crown buildings or to the White Elephant Art Centre and their car park was a pay and display, how much could be saved?

The important decisions questionnaire kept the secret staff car park at crown buildings very quiet when the question could have been asked and thousands could be made a week from it!

People have taken me as a wind up merchant but I am nobody’s fool and have served a purpose in my past endeavours for the council and will support the good work of councillors.

bubble
    Participant

[quote quote=143107]If the Councillors and top management were moved to the staff car par at crown buildings or to the White Elephant Art Centre and their car park was a pay and display, how much could be saved?

The important decisions questionnaire kept the secret staff car park at crown buildings very quiet when the question could have been asked and thousands could be made a week from it!

People have taken me as a wind up merchant but I am nobody’s fool and have served a purpose in my past endeavours for the council and will support the good work of councillors.[/quote]

For me, it is a matter of principle. In a time of austerity in particular, I do not think it is right for councillors or “top management” to give themselves free parking – in any car park – unless we all get free parking. We pay our Council Tax for the services the council provides – not for a parking perk that the councillors give to themselves. Actual SERVICES are being cut, while the councillors keep their free parking – you think this is justifiable?

A few weeks back there was some confusion over whether Penycae community centre was going to close in order to help with costs. In the “Difficult Decisions” document: (https://www.wrexham.gov.uk/assets/pdfs/consultations/budget/2018-19/difficult_decisions_2018-20.pdf), on page 5, it says: “It is proposed that these remaining community centre buildings (i.e. Kingsley Circle, Abenbury and Penycae) are either transferred to a third party by 31 March 2018 or considered for disposal or demolition. It is estimated this could generate savings of approximately £3,000 in 2018/19 and a further £11,000 in 2019/20.”.

I quote this because it is talking in one case of a saving as little as £3k for a year. Abolishing free car parking for councillors may not save/earn much in the way of income, but in other circumstances it seems that councillors’ attitudes are that every little helps.

I’m not expecting councillors to pay any more than other people – I want the same treatment for us all. It is all very well for you to support the “good work” of councillors, but that should not prevent you from acknowledging when they have got it wrong.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=143107]If the Councillors and top management were moved to the staff car par at crown buildings or to the White Elephant Art Centre and their car park was a pay and display, how much could be saved?

Councillor X . I have had a look at the Council town centre car parking facilities on their website. At present the Crown Buildings site is not shown as a parking facility. In the past it was available to the public on Saturday/Sunday. The secret Crown Buildings staff car park now needs to be addressed also.

jimbow
    Participant

Councillor X. There are 99 car parking spaces in the Crown Buildings car park. If only 80 of those were utilised at £2.50 per all day by Council staff, would bring in £52k per year.

Transportuser
    Participant

Give them bus passes.
    Kills two birds with one stone.
    Money could be made from the charges on spaces and, without a doubt, they wouldn’t put up with the bus “service” we get!

Councillor X
    Participant

[quote quote=143126]

If the Councillors and top management were moved to the staff car par at crown buildings or to the White Elephant Art Centre and their car park was a pay and display, how much could be saved?
    Councillor X. There are 99 car parking spaces in the Crown Buildings car park. If only 80 of those were utilised at £2.50 per all day by Council staff, would bring in £52k per year.[/quote]

Such a pity nobody had the capacity to throw Crown Buildings into the equation if this is the case.

If I can look at this another way and I know I will get called a wind up merchant AGAIN for this BUT if SOME Council Staff get FREE parking at locations such as Crown, Ruthin Road, Grosvenor Road and the Industrial Estate, why shouldn’t EVERY staff member get free parking?
    To take it off Top Managers and Councillors when others get it for nothing is wrong.

You either make EVERYONE pay or NOBODY pay if you want true equality.

Do women still get free proximity parking at the Council?

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=143173]

Councillor X. There are 99 car parking spaces in the Crown Buildings car park. If only 80 of those were utilised at £2.50 per all day by Council staff, would bring in £52k per year.

Such a pity nobody had the capacity to throw Crown Buildings into the equation if this is the case.

If I can look at this another way and I know I will get called a wind up merchant AGAIN for this BUT if SOME Council Staff get FREE parking at locations such as Crown, Ruthin Road, Grosvenor Road and the Industrial Estate, why shouldn’t EVERY staff member get free parking?
    To take it off Top Managers and Councillors when others get it for nothing is wrong.

Do women still get free proximity parking at the Council?[/quote]

Councillor X. I see no problem in Council staff getting free parking at locations such as Industrial Estate or Ruthin Road. Offer these locations to top managers and let them use the bus from there, no problem. The problem is the town centre parking charges. The Council choose to charge everybody in the town centre, so everybody pays, no problem. If the Council decide to make free parking Jan to Nov as they do for December then ok. Think of the savings of enforcement officers, machines being vandalised, staff uniforms, pension contributions etc,etc. hey ho.
    PS Do you think that if the Mayor has a free car all Councillors should have one?

Owain Glyndwr
    Participant

[quote quote=143176]

Do women still get free proximity parking at the Council?

Councillor X. I see no problem in Council staff getting free parking at locations such as Industrial Estate or Ruthin Road. Offer these locations to top managers and let them use the bus from there, no problem. The problem is the town centre parking charges. The Council choose to charge everybody in the town centre, so everybody pays, no problem. If the Council decide to make free parking Jan to Nov as they do for December then ok. Think of the savings of enforcement officers, machines being vandalised, staff uniforms, pension contributions etc,etc. hey ho.
    PS Do you think that if the Mayor has a free car all Councillors should have one?[/quote]

Its only a Skoda and he isn’t allowed to take it home and neither does the chauffer …

Perhaps the chauffer could pick up all of the Councillors and bring them to meetings then there won’t be a parking problem.

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=143263]
    Its only a Skoda and he isn’t allowed to take it home and neither does the chauffer …

Perhaps the chauffer could pick up all of the Councillors and bring them to meetings then there won’t be a parking problem.[/quote]

Anthill Mob

Matt
    Participant

[quote quote=143263]
    Perhaps the chauffer could pick up all of the Councillors and bring them to meetings then there won’t be a parking problem.[/quote]

Anthill

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News