Council staff paid twice

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council staff paid twice

• Author

wxmanon
    Participant

Are the public aware that the majority of people who man the polling stations are Wrexham Council employees who are given a days paid leave to do so?
    They then get paid again for these duties so are effectively being paid twice for the day!

AMA Express
    Participant

Yes, this member of the public is aware. Thank you.

Rex Ham
    Participant

Yes, I knew that too. It has always been the case. However, it’s not just local authority staff employed on elections. I have done it myself (bored out of my skull!) and I never worked for the LA. I know of retired people who do it as well. It is paid out of a separate budget provided by the electoral commission. So, no story here!!

billycoen
    Participant

I’ll sleep better tonight.Cheers.

Wrexham ITK
    Participant

They don’t get many perks to be fair

Ioan y Ffin
    Participant

What’s the alternative: go out and recruit reliable trustworthy people for one very long day’s work each time there is an election. The recruitment costs would dwarf the supposed cost of the current system many times over and you would still have to pay them. Of course, unlike council staff, there would be no real way to hold these one off zero hour contract people to their responsibilities so all kinds of electoral shenanigans could occur. It is a funny world where sitting in a polling station ticking off names as part of the democratic process counts as a perk. Bring back free meals, days out at the races and hospitality in the directors’ boxes at the Racecourse!!

DerekJackson
    Participant

Ex Council staff are also drafted in…

Councillor X
    Participant

Ex Councillors do it too

KidA
    Participant

Well that little attempt at council bashing failed Wxmanon. We should be thankful that we have a well organised electoral system in place aided by able council and non-council staff.

wrexpest2
    Participant

It hardly counts as being paid twice! I know someone who did this once, it was a long day of hell! £100 was what they got paid, starting at 6am and finishing at 10pm…

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News