Council Staff and Members get perks but wont say how much it cost ratepayers

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council Staff and Members get perks but wont say how much it cost ratepayers

• Author

CarolThomas
    Participant

Following a request to the Council about what ‘perks’ are available to staff and Council members they have refused to divulge information that we as ratepayers ubn Wrexham are paying for!
    Why should ratepayers of Wrexham be oaying for subsidies at a time of such massive service cust across chikdred, yiung peole and older people services.
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/staff_discount_and_perks#incoming-911733

How much has it cost to set up the Wrexham Council Reward Scheme
    A proportion of the employers NI rebate (saving) accrued through our two salary sacrifice schemes has been used to offset the total cost of the set up fees and service charges.

How much staff time has been allocated
    Approximately 15 days to set up and implement with Payroll, HR Service Centre, Procurement, Finance, and ICT. The ongoing website is contracted to iCOM Works.

How much have the Council paid for the branded cards
    Exempted.

How much is being paid as an annual fee to Vectis or other providor
    Exempted.

How much commission will the Council gain from this scheme
    None – no commission is paid to the council for Wrexham Council Rewards.

What discounted rate are staff paying for the use of leisure facilities
    Exempted.

Exempted means refusal!!!

BenjaminM
    Participant

Apart from the atrocious spelling mistakes in your post Carol, there is little or nothing that is worthy of meaningful comment.
    It just smacks of petty mindedness and jealousy.
    Perhaps it would be wise of you, before placing your own interpretation on the meaning of a word (in this instance ‘exempted’) to consult a dictionary.
    I am sure that there are other matters of more importance to which you could devote your free time if you put your mind to it.

Rex Ham
    Participant

Wrexham County Borough Council is an employer like any other. People who work for the council do so for their own reasons, but the reward is, I would suggest the main motive. Like any other employer, WCBC have to put a range of benefits in place to attract or retain the best employees like any other employer. Quite frankly Carol Thomas, it is a cost of running the business. You could argue the council has money tied up in the guildhall, that could be released and used “at a time of such massive service custs” (sic). It isn’t as simple as cost against cost.

It also occurs to me that there is a cost in answering petty “freedom of information” requests that could divert to other things.

Council Watcher
    Participant

I can’t understand why Rex Han and Benjamin are so uptight about what Carol has submitted- yes lots of spelling mistakes but the issue is worth an airing. How do you know this does not amount to £100,000’s of pounds would you think the issue trivial then. Surely the fact the Council won’t release figures indicates there is probably something to hide.
    Yes business will offer ‘incentives ‘ quite often but why should we as ratepayers have to pay for the workers in the Public Sector.
    Often when there is a refusal to give information this is the tip of the iceberg..

Dragon
    Participant

After discussions with a friend and employee of Wrexham council for over 20 years they are dismayed at your allegations about “perks” at wrexham council, therefore can you please elaborate or provide some evidence to confirm your allegations of perks for council employees as these false allegations result in slander on social media.

CarolThomas
    Participant

Is a perk not something that is available to some but not everyone- it does not necessarily mean every employee in Wrexham Council takes up the offer but have access-
    1. Leisure Centre membership has always been less for Council employees compared with the general public when run by the Council – unsure if this carried forward to the Freedom contract.
    2. Drinks Vending machines providing free drinks – do they still exist in any offices
    There are no issues regarding Cycle to Work and Childcare Voucher schemes as these are open to all employers to offer employees and the funding is via the tax man.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=124618] as these false allegations result in slander on social media.

[/quote]

You might find it useful to spend a bit of time researching “slander on social media”.

Searching for something that doesn’t exist should keep you busy over Christmas.

Scarter
    Participant

I worked for W.C.B.C for 20 years and can categorically state there were precious little in the way of perks and NO free vending machines anywhere.

Rex Ham
    Participant

[quote quote=124591]Yes business will offer ‘incentives ‘ quite often but why should we as ratepayers have to pay for the workers in the Public Sector.

[/quote]
    Well you might as well extend that point to cover wages full stop. Let’s have the council staffed by volunteers then ratepayers will save a huge amount of money.

If the wage bill were to rise by hundreds of thousands of pounds as you suggest to cover “perks”, or any significant amount, it would be picked up at audit.

KidA
    Participant

‘1. Leisure Centre membership has always been less for Council employees compared with the general public when run by the Council – unsure if this carried forward to the Freedom contract.
    2. Drinks Vending machines providing free drinks – do they still exist in any offices’

Wow Carol, you’ve really unearthed the motherload here!! So you’re saying that maybe they have subsidised leisure membership and maybe they have free drinks but you don’t actually know! I suspect council staff receive none of these life changing perks, but if they do, I’ll be putting in my application to become one of the privileged few as soon as my Xmas Turkey has worked its way through my digestive system.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News