Council Members Allowances to Increase by £35,000

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council Members Allowances to Increase by £35,000

• Author

jimbow
    Participant

Statutory notice has been received from the Welsh Office to increase Individual Council Members Allowances by £670 per member.
    The increase comes under the heading of Dress Allowance.
    With Council meetings now being webcast, the Welsh Office have introduced a dress code conduct.
    The new allowances will come into effect on 01/04/2015.
    The dress code conduct requires members at all webcasted meetings to wear a suit and tie.
    Members will be allowed to claim three new outfits per calendar year.
    A Council spokesperson stated that the funding would come from the Council’s Needy and Greedy Account.

Mrs Crewe
    Participant

There is a dress code for Council staff, they don’t get an allowance for buying their business clothes. This is utterly ridiculous, if it is a genuine business expense, they can claim the full cost back on their personal tax.

BenjaminM
    Participant

Well, one thing is absolutely certain, we all know that they cannot play the part, but at least they will have the semblance of appearing as if they can.
    I wonder how many demob suits or 4 inch lapel jackets will be on view?
    You can bet that the allowance will go straight into the back pocket of their well worn existing!

WCBC
    Participant

We would like to make it clear that there is no truth in the statement from Jimbow about Members Allowances. We never like to assume but on this occasion we believe it’s an early April Fools.

wrexview
    Participant

WMBC are you confirming there is no increase in the allowance or just that it is not a “dress allowance ” ?

zinger
    Participant

I just find it sad, that even if only for a few seconds, we had so little faith in our governing bodies that we felt that it might possibly be true.

Ferret
    Participant

@zinger 18938 wrote:

I just find it sad, that even if only for a few seconds, we had so little faith in our governing bodies that we felt that it might possibly be true.

Flippin’ eck. Just goes to show that people will swallow anything if it confirms their views. Needy and Greedy Account. You honestly thought there really is such a thing? And anybody thinking of starting a post with post “I’d believe anything…” please don’t.

Chris
    Participant

I’d believe anything …………………………………

Needy & Greedy account / WCBC not such a stretch really

JaneJ
    Participant

Both the Mayor and Deputy Mayor have an allowance already that is often used for clothes so although this thread is tongue in cheek there is some fact as this is often used for clothes

Maureen Gray
    Participant

@JaneJ 18944 wrote:

Both the Mayor and Deputy Mayor have an allowance already that is often used for clothes so although this thread is tongue in cheek there is some fact as this is often used for clothes

The thread may be tongue in cheek, but the last time I spotted the mayor was when he was holding his ball, his suit looked rather thread-bare and I believe when his term finishes, he has landed a part in the field at the beginning of Emmerdale Farm!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News