Council in Welsh Language Spin

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council in Welsh Language Spin

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

A Councillor has yet again got Wrexham Council ‘Spin Doctors’ working overtime to fill the hole that was made by Clr Jones at the Executive this week mover the Welsh Language being the 4th most spoken in the area. The amount of spin they have tried to play to explain Clr Jones comments are incredulous.
    One of the only facts seems to be ‘no one in the meeting challenged the statement’ were on earth were the Plaid Cymru Members — they knew the item was on the agenda yet made no representation – has the Party of Wales now given up on the language?? Good for Dana Davies raising a couple of questions.
    I don’t know who their statisticians are but the data from their survey is statistically flawed — for a start they employ more Welsh speakers than Polish so you would expect interactions to be conducted where possible in language of choice- having been in the Contact Centre and spoken Welsh no one recorded that transaction as the person who helped my could speak Welsh.
    ‘recognise the importance of providing information and services to its customers within their own language’– commitment and reality are very different.
    The information provided does not pick out that many Polish and Portuguese people have accepted English as their normal daily language so don’t even present at Council services with a translation requirement.
    The bottom line is that the Polish and Portuguese community in Wrexham is now fast approaching a bigger proportion than Welsh.
    The figures for school includes Sixth Forms attached to a school it does not include all of the students in Colege Cambria or the 20% that now get educated out of county.

zinger
    Participant

What has Wales got that England, Scotland & Ireland haven’t got? Why do people come to Wales? We have mountains – so have they, we have beautiful scenery – so have they, we have beautiful coastlines – so have they, we have markets – so have they, we have shopping centres – so have they, our industry has been decimated – so has theirs. What is it that makes us different? The Welsh language is one thing that we have. I can’t think of much else. We should celebrate our differences and emphasise them. A way of saving money would be to stop giving all new streets bi-lingual signs for a start. There is no need. As someone said on another post, Coedpoeth, Cefn y Bedd, Llangollen & Betws y Coed are all Welsh place names & nobody has a problem with them so why do we need bi-lingual signs.

Samsung
    Participant

The Council Members and Officers must have signed up to a circus training school to learn how to spin plates, put clown make up on to hide behind masks and illusionist tricks to learn slight of hand the way they are all behaving at present.
    Thank goodness the public are not so gullible as to not see through this façade of what at times is deceit and distortion and spin doctoring…

Sheefag
    Participant

Jesus Samsung, you’re a right barrel of laughs, I imgine there are flecks of spit all over your monitor.

Oh, it’s ‘Sleight’ by the way, not slight but Sleight.

99DylanJones
    Participant

Perhaps there is more to Clr Jones comments than first thought– is he actually trying to say that there are very large numbers of Polish and Portuguese people in the area who are not costing thousands of pounds to translate things for them. Is he trying to say that Welsh speakers should accept that English is the working language of the area and Welsh is for cultural use only.

BenjaminM
    Participant

[quote quote=103249]Perhaps there is more to Clr Jones comments than first thought– is he actually trying to say that there are very large numbers of Polish and Portuguese people in the area who are not costing thousands of pounds to translate things for them. Is he trying to say that Welsh speakers should accept that English is the working language of the area and Welsh is for cultural use only.

[/quote]

If that is what he meant to say, I would agree totally with his statement.

Derek, your post is well formed and presented……in English! I can only assume therefore from your statement “having been in the contact centre and spoken Welsh no one recorded the transaction as the person who helped me could speak Welsh”, it was done out of sheer bloody mindedness.

Zinger, you state the following. “Why do people come to Wales?……..What is it that makes us different?……….The Welsh language is the one thing we have. I can’t think of much else”
    Is it a serious suggestion of yours that tourists or visitors to Wales give even a millisecond of thought to the Welsh language before embarking on a visit. It is more likely than not that it would put people off if its’ use was more widespread.

Sheefag
    Participant

Welsh is the international language of business, as eny fule no of course.

Cmedson
    Participant

[quote]It is more likely than not that it would put people off if its’ use was more widespread.[/quote]

Even coming from you with your visceral hatred of all the things Welsh (especially the language) that has got to be the most silly, stupid and ridiculous thing posted on here.

I will leave to brush that chip you have on each shoulder!

BenjaminM
    Participant

Very good that Cm, it has only taken you 2 months to come up with a semi- articulate response. Was the weather too bad for you today that you couldn’t go out chasing pigeons or whatever and you needed something to occupy your mind?
    For your info, I am not against’all things Welsh’, just the way the Welsh language is thrust upon us by legislation and other nefarious means. It is costing the public and private sector millions to implement without any benefit being accrued by the nation, just to satisfy the cultural ideology of a minority.

AMA Express
    Participant

[quote quote=103224]Oh, it’s ‘Sleight’ by the way, not slight but Sleight.[/quote]

Let’s keep it simple and just call it prestidigitation.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News