Council Daycare Centre losses £49k

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council Daycare Centre losses £49k

• Author

DerekJackson
    Participant

The growing trend of establishing projects that compete with the private sector and other community provision yet again shows through with their nursery on Rhosddu Road – making a £49k loss this last year — a subsidy of over £1000 a week at a time when private and community childcare provision is struggling.
    The use if public funding to subside this type of action must surely fall under competition regulations and should be stopped immediately.
    Why should seem parents be able to access subsidised childcare when others have to pay substantial amounts. Council Members and Officers involved in this disgraceful provision should ask how they allowed this to carry on. Summary of accounts below.

Wrexham CBC
    M – CHILDRENS SERVICES
    MEDA02 – SPROUTS NURSERY
    Account Detail Details
    Year Ended 31st March 2016
    Account Detail “YTD
    Actuals”

Total 0 – TOTAL EMPLOYEES 162,475
    Total 1 – TOTAL PREMISES 15,050
    Total 2 – TOTAL TRANSPORT 1,568
    Total 3 – TOTAL SUPPLIES 11,147
    Total 6 – TOTAL SUPPORT SERVICES 50
    Total 8 – TOTAL INCOME -140,587

Grand Total 49,703 Deficit
    Carried Forward to
    2016/2017 Financial Year

Katia
    Participant

Derek would you possibly clarify the group of parents accessing the subsidised childcare with whom you object ?

At first glance isn’t Sprouts helping the disadvantaged ?
    What’s wrong with that ?

[quote quote=116599]
    Why should seem parents be able to access subsidised childcare when others have to pay substantial amounts. Council Members and Officers involved in this disgraceful provision should ask how they allowed this to carry on. Summary of accounts below.
    [/quote]

” Sprouts Nursery on Rhosddu Road, which has been backed by £155,000 Welsh Government funding and £90,000 from Wrexham Council, already has five traineeship learners and four volunteers.
    Flexible and affordable childcare is important for families on a low income and those looking to return to work. The opening of Sprouts Nursery is the first part of a project by Wrexham Council to address this in the town.
    http://gov.wales/newsroom/housing-and-regeneration/2015/10262315/?lang=en

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/sprouts_nursery_rhosddu_road

99DylanJones
    Participant

I am not objecting to any parent – the point is that the Council have established with great subsidy a service that competes with others at unfair advantage. If the level of subsidy they are using was the same everywhere I would not be objecting.

Sheefag
    Participant

Katia asked a question of DerekJackson and 99DylanJones replied.

Begs the question, Use the wrong login Derek?

Katia
    Participant

[quote quote=116742]I am not objecting to any parent – the point is that the Council have established with great subsidy a service that competes with others at unfair advantage. If the level of subsidy they are using was the same everywhere I would not be objecting.
    [/quote]

For a moment it read to me as hinting some of the parents accessing the subsidised child care were not low income / under privileged.
    Thanks for clarifying Dylan.

wrexhammum
    Participant

This looks like a good thing to me but obviously not to you – check out all those foi’s lol. How much cheaper is it?

KidA
    Participant

[quote quote=116819]Katia asked a question of DerekJackson and 99DylanJones replied.

Begs the question, Use the wrong login Derek?

[/quote

I cringe to use the expression but LOL. Welcome back Dylan/Derek.

DerekJackson
    Participant

The closure of the Sprouts Nursery was a Part 2 at the Council Executive this week so full details are sketchy but parents and staff have been informed the facility will close first week of September. This has been subject to numerous internal investigations, scrutiny from CSSIW the Inspectorate that oversees the quality of provision etc.

The loss making nursery has been subsidised to in excess of £100k over a two year period and also had over £150k of Welsh Government VVP funding to set it up.

There will have been numerous reasons why this has lost so much which will never be revealed — the loss could have been half if only Council Members took the recommendation of officers 12 months ago. It is a disgrace that the Council executive Board allowed the losses to be doubled at a time of service cuts due to funding cuts.

I hope that all of the apprentices and childcare workers along with the children find other settings that are more sustainable.

Jemima
    Participant

My little boy goes to sprouts and he’s going to really miss it and the staff who are wonderful. The nursery has changed and improved so much since the first manager left before Christmas. I’m so upset by wrexham council’s decision. There were lots of problems before but staff have worked so hard and made the place brilliant. I wish the staff all the best they’re all so lovely and any children’s facility should feel privileged to have them. Good luck girls.

WrexhamUser
    Participant

I know childcare is expensive, my child goes full-time to a different private nursery, but it is my choice!

The council are willing to spend a fortune on their art centre that has cost a fortune, and they have put aside a greater sum to subsidise its predicted losses in the first few years, that they predict to be higher than the subsidy for the nursery. It is very likely that subsidy per head for visitors to the art centre will be higher than the per head subsidy at the nursery.

This is not about money but how the council wants to spend it. What I think is perverse is that the council does not want to spend money on the children who will be disrupted, confused and upset as they leave a familiar setting, staff and friends. Instead, they want to protect their grandiose art centre scheme that gives certain councillors a ‘legacy’, and children do not vote!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Funding support for sustainable projects in Clwydian Range and Dee Valley

News

Level crossing safety plea to North Wales holidaymakers this Easter

News

Three ‘never events’ reported at health board during February

News

Clwyd South MS welcomes plans for baby loss certificates for bereaved parents

News

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News