Council Consultations

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council Consultations

• Author

wrexview
    Participant

“Councillors were told that a contracts register would be adapted and potentially made accessible to members.”

Only potentially accessible to Councillors! Councillors are our elected representatives and should have access to everything held by the Council. Who made the decision that such information should be with held from them ?

Ferret
    Participant

Ben
    麻煩的是如何做你一起去嗎?你翻譯只為一個人呢?如果不是,你不是從德民主進程切斷他們?

99DylanJones
    Participant

think the language issue has been partly misinterpreted — I said that people from different ethnic backgrounds need to ‘ links with them in alternate language’ this was not intended to imply that all consultations should be provided in alternate languages. This was about initial contact- many of the ethnic groups tend to try and learn English at the earliest possible opportunity to assist their job prospects, support children in school and access services. Initial engagement however in various languages is only the first stage of making contact and not to be adopted as a long term requirement.
    Key to good consultation is as much face to face engagement not to rely on ‘on-line’ surveys. By encouraging their own workforce that live in the County Borough would generate more responses along with making contact with people who visit various locations such as libraries and leisure facilities (those that are still open) and dare I say the usual school gate gatherings of mums and dads.

BenjaminM
    Participant

@wrexview 12726 wrote:

“Councillors were told that a contracts register would be adapted and potentially made accessible to members.”

Only potentially accessible to Councillors! Councillors are our elected representatives and should have access to everything held by the Council. Who made the decision that such information should be with held from them ?

Assuming the reportage on this site regarding today’s meeting is reasonably accurate, would you please point me in the right direction for me to read for myself where it states that’ such information should be withheld from Councillors’?
    And whilst on the subject, should ‘adapted’ read adopted and by 2014/15 read during 2014/15 or by 2015/16?
    Just for the sake of clarity. Wouldn’t want to argue over incorrect information, would we?
    Furthermore, if Councillors are our elected representatives, ie there to represent the views of their ward, why is general consultation needed in the first place?

DR
    Participant

Quite relevant to the thread and the meeting earlier this afternoon. We sent off an FOI last month about Council redundancy / rehiring etc.

The info we had back said that 186 employees took redundancy between January 1st 2012 and December 31st 2013. It also said one person has been remployed in a school job.

Cllr neil Rogers also said: “Overall, the Council has made savings of £10.8m in its 2014/15 budget. Generally when people retire from the Council’s employment they are not re-employed by the Authority.”

FOI Reveals Over £2million Spent On Council Employee Redundancy Pay | Wrexham.com

Rob
    Participant

@BenjaminM 12730 wrote:

Assuming the reportage on this site regarding today’s meeting is reasonably accurate, would you please point me in the right direction for me to read for myself where it states that’ such information should be withheld from Councillors’?
    And whilst on the subject, should ‘adapted’ read adopted and by 2014/15 read during 2014/15 or by 2015/16?
    Just for the sake of clarity. Wouldn’t want to argue over incorrect information, would we?
    Furthermore, if Councillors are our elected representatives, ie there to represent the views of their ward, why is general consultation needed in the first place?

To clarify it was adapting not adopting, as it appears there are systems in place however it would be adapting and improving them , and part of that was a request to let Councillors gain access.

Regarding dates, the discussion today was mainly based off data from 2012-2013, and just ended 2013-2014 although its still 2014 for a good while yet. Therefore any changes will likely be happening 2014-15 if that makes sense.

Incidentally a tweet was referred to in the meeting today by Cllr Arfon Jones which I have just found – https://twitter.com/ArfonJ/status/458938807958904832

“Should be an interesting discussion at @wrexhamcbc Scrutiny on Appointment of consultants today. Officers deciding what Scrutiny should hear”

So on a wider point, and in reference to Wrexview’s above, it would be interesting to know what was not allowed to be heard! :D

@Ferret 12727 wrote:

Ben
    麻煩的是如何做你一起去嗎?你翻譯只為一個人呢?如果不是,你不是從德民主進程切斷他們?

Google says “The trouble is how do you go with me? You translate only one person? If not, you do not cut them from the German democratic process?” :D

Ferret
    Participant

Google says “The trouble is how do you go with me? You translate only one person? If not, you do not cut them from the German democratic process?” :D

Confucius say: “he who depend on algorithm often mangle the wurzle”

Alunh
    Participant

@BenjaminM 12730 wrote:

Councillors don’t represent the individual per se but are elected by aggregations who take the view that the person or party they vote for is the most suitable name on show. Sadly, many don’t vote. Once they are elected, they act deliberatively rather than as representatives or delegates and they can act and vote on some issues with scant reference to their Constituents. Consultation is merely a way to remind them who is the actual boss and who is the public servant. Besides, Councillors are often totally ignorant on specific issues and it is good to talk to the folk

BenjaminM
    Participant

It stops now Alun!
    However hard you try to goad me into a p*****g contest! you will not succeed.
    You have on numerous occasions dispensed your alleged wisdom on topics ranging from education, markets, business acumen and entrepreneurship to finally trying to educate (more often than not), me on the democratic process.
    Realise Alun, people do not rely solely on you as the fount of all knowledge and the patronising attitude you adopt is ill becoming.
    You would be well advised to dispense with the attitude that you are dealing with people who know nothing (as per your stance on teaching children), and realise that the posts on this forum are from an adult population who have the ability to think for themselves and form an opinion without your patronising interjections.
    Post nominals cut no ice with me I’m afraid and your attempts to belittle do little to enhance your credibility.

Alunh
    Participant

Hi Benjamin

I was merely responding to a point you made about Consulatation. Whilst you might regard debate as someone being “patronising”, I don’t. People come on here and say all sorts of things with humour to others and that’s all.

Ferret, for example, likes to throw any amount of stuff into the ring, mostly very funny.

As to my way of posting, I’ll never be able to change that nor do I wish to

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Employees smash Manchester Marathon in aid of North East Wales Mind

News

Calls for urgent clarity of future of nuclear energy developments in North Wales

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News