Council Budget

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Council Budget

• Author

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

Speak to your local Councillor mines pretty good but I’m feeling in this case that it’s the Welsh assembly that need harassing. I see time and time again our mp and am attacking the council, some of it justified but never look at their own government to help the town and it’s so frustrating as here in Wales we should be lucky that we have both to represent us, not forgetting the 2 in south clwyd that are quick enough to criticise but never offer a solution. Yet I don’t feel lucky I feel like they use the Tory/independent council as a scapegoat for them doing very little, how often do they come into your ward? I’m yet to see them! I’m not blaming them entirely but they could and should be doing more. Surely they should be fighting along side the council to get more help regardless of political party.

wrexview
    Participant

Much of the problem here in Wrexham is not how much money the Council have received but how they have chosen to spend it.

The Speaking Truth
    Participant

Hardly think they’d be making all these cuts if they had enough money.

wrexview
    Participant

Part of the problem they now face is a result of poor spending decisions in previous years, as has been noted earlier in this thread. Schools in Wrexham are going to find it extremely difficult if the planned cuts go ahead, but the Arts Hub continues and will be taking money from the budget as they know it is going to be loss making.

wrexview
    Participant

Peterthewatcher was spot on with his £900,000 deficit in the recycling budget. In relation to the proposed cuts this is another significant sum of money.

jimbow
    Participant

[quote quote=139074]The proposal to raise £25,000 by revoking the entitlements of Blue Badge holders to me does not add up.
    There are 7000 Blue Badge holders in the County Borough. If all 7000 came into town, once every three weeks for 2 hours @ £1.50 per stay, it would raise £168,000.
    How accurate are the figures on which decisions are taken?[/quote]

I have had a reply to my question on how accurate the figures for the above are,from the Head of Environment and Planning.

The reply states the figure of £25k is admittedly very conservative.
    How many more figures in the consultation are very conservative?

DerekJackson
    Participant

Conservative figures from a Conservative coalition Executive!!
    Perhaps the error re budget totals is conservative shown on another thread shows this up. We are all being taken as mugs. If I ran my house in this way I would be looking for a camping spot at the Groves.

wrexview
    Participant

The £900,000 over spend on the recycling budget, the money spent on Price Waterhouse Cooper and various consultants , would have more than covered the cost of continuing the Communities First programme with some left over.

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

There is still a fundamental issue over the Communities First programme before people think the funding should have continued or the Council bail it out — was it value for money, how many of the families that were supported when these schemes first started about 10 years ago are still totally dependent on support- there are certainly large numbers of families that should have been supported but they have not broken their cycle of unemployment, drugs, poor health etc as highlighted in the WG report about why the scheme needed to stop.

There have been lots of staff who have made a good living out of this scheme and self-preservation of their own position has been the highest on the agenda and not the support of families.

wrexview
    Participant

All valid points , have the Council appraised the scheme and identified where the money could be better targeted to the benefit of those families that really need support. A complete withdrawal of funding will probably push people towards using other services , like the NHS , which is already overstretched.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

Demand for Welsh courses ‘outstripping capacity’

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News