Cost and Size of local government

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cost and Size of local government

• Author

Alunh
    Participant

I’ve just been reading through an article about the Williams Commission and the recommendations to merge Wrexham and Flintshire counties

What struck me as amazing is the way in which the individual authorities have burgeoned out of control since the demise of Clwyd County Council in 1996. It has always hit me as odd that, as Computers became so prolific, that the level of employment within the Councils has mushroomed (when comparable organisations have used technological developments to streamline) and this at a huge cost to the rate payer.

Reading the comments of veteran Flintshire councillor Tony Sharps, representative for Northop Hall, and no fan of the initial movement towards Clwyd CC, I was absolutely gob-smacked to read that (as he stated) “Flintshire employs 2,000 people more than Clwyd County Council did and that covered a far bigger area. It’s like a raving animal out of control”.

Has anyone got the actual details on the size of the current Council staff rosters of all of the former Clwyd Council components and how they compare with Clwyd as was. Additionally, has anyone got details of the size of Wrexham Council over the last near 2 decades both in terms of cost and numbers.

I would suspect that this would be very illuminating

johnhoppy
    Participant

It does seem ridiculous that the devolved councils employ people each than the old Clwyd CC. However it must be remembered that during the time of Clwyd there were also District Councils, and the new County Councils assumed the responsibilities previously carried out by them.

I always thought that Clwyd CC functioned well, and at the time that it wasn’t a good idea to repair something that wasn’t broken.

Alunh
    Participant

@johnhoppy 13359 wrote:

It does seem ridiculous that the devolved councils employ people each than the old Clwyd CC. However it must be remembered that during the time of Clwyd there were also District Councils, and the new County Councils assumed the responsibilities previously carried out by them.

I always thought that Clwyd CC functioned well, and at the time that it wasn’t a good idea to repair something that wasn’t broken.

Vital qualification that helps see the whole picture

99DylanJones
    Participant

What you also need to look at are the number of Council Members:
    Wrexham 53
    Flintshire 68
    Denbighshire 47

Total 168 — CLWYD 75

Under Williams the Wrexham and Flintshire merger would see 121 Council Members being reduced to approximately 75 or 40% reduction. Savings of over half a million pound.

The issue though is will Council Members who may loose their position accept this proposal without a fight.

It is expected that Carwyn Jones will make an announcement at the WLGA (Welsh Local Government) Conference at the end of the month.

Scarter
    Participant

I worked for Clwyd CC for 10 years and have worked for WCBC since its formation and therefor in a unique position to inform Alunh that staffing levels (in my department) are down to the bone. If I had any choice I would never have split Clwyd that was a major mistake. I know the perception of the authority poor but fasten your seatbelts because it really is going to bad very shortly.

Alunh
    Participant

@Scarter 13371 wrote:

I worked for Clwyd CC for 10 years and have worked for WCBC since its formation and therefor in a unique position to inform Alunh that staffing levels (in my department) are down to the bone. If I had any choice I would never have split Clwyd that was a major mistake. I know the perception of the authority poor but fasten your seatbelts because it really is going to bad very shortly.

I know lots of people who work for the Council and many tell me this. Unfortunately the splitting up of Clwyd has led to the need for the replication of bureaucracies across North East Wales and now that times are tough, each separate bureaucracy is feeling the strain. I hope that there is light at the end of the tunnel.

That said, there are many many individuals who post on here who have had direct contact with the Council over the last decade and have had awful experiences.

I suspect that the Councils are going to have to share human resources, rationalise systems and become leaner and meaner. Perhaps Council workers might have to look to JCB for inspiration and take a pay or package drop. Whilst I hate that concept, that is what has gone on in the private sector

wxm
    Participant

This is a subject that needs addressing, but never seems to get open and healthy progressive local debate. Reports from all over the UK show councils responding to changes in the social and economic map, and therefore changing the focus and type of services that they provide, part of this is a realisation that “the state” cannot do everything for everyone.

The problem in Wrexham seems to be that parts of society are seizing up, and we are not changing and preparing for the future. While this is not unique to Wrexham, many councils have identified what the future of their communities will look like, and have changed to meet this need within the scope of what they can provide.

As pointed out, Wrexham surely has the benefit of developed IT in the last 20 years, and can make improvements here. Council buildings are reported as empty or partially occupied, there is opportunity for change here. Many councils are double the size or more of Wrexham, there is opportunity for change here.

What is the vision for Wrexham, what will Wrexham become?

Will the town be full of the shops and goods our children need as they start to have children? Will the schools and parks enable our children to take their small children into progressive education and happy play times? Will the industrial estates be thriving, and provide high earning jobs to support a nice family home, interests in life, holidays and iphones and sky TV?

Something is wrong in society at the moment, whereby the community is paying a lot of money for local government, but we do not get the answers.

There is debate, there is talk about scrutiny … and this costs an awful lot of money … what we do not get is “this is where we and our children need to be in twenty years time, and this is how we could get there”

99DylanJones
    Participant

The management issues can be resolved overnight — abolish the need for local management for services that apply for the whole of Wales — Education, Social Care, road etc and give the Welsh Government the power to control Wales.
    Why cant one single management body be responsible for services to a population that is only the same as a big city.
    You can still develop service scrutiny at a local level —
    It is time Welsh Government and Councils started to look at service provision rather than governance and get on with restructuring as everyone has accepted that there are far to many structures and levels. Cut these cuts sorted now and get on with improving services.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News