Concern for Wrexham Schools

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Concern for Wrexham Schools

• Author

Sheefag
    Participant

@Alunh 18126 wrote:

Some of the flippant stuff that’s appearing on here lately will threaten the future of this forum for those who want to try and make Wrexham a better place

You really think that an obscure internet forum will make Wrexham a better place?
    Jesus Alan, you’re a smart bloke but quit while you’re behind.

BenjaminM
    Participant

This topic would not have raised its’ head except for the sensationalistic header in the Daily Post.
    I agree entirely with the viewpoint expressed by Mr Wonderful, that it has been totally worded to create a negative perception of of education in WCB schools. Not one eyebrow would have been raised if the headline stated that 98.8% of schoolchildren were well behaved in school.
    Wxm, once again, advocates another report to the ‘community’ – but for what purpose, I ask myself and Dylan makes another sweeping statement (as is his wont) by intimating that educationalists do not follow the philosophy of inclusion. Another off the top of the head comment or is it this time, based on actual fact?
    Not all children in full time education go to school with polished shoes and their hair neatly parted, some of the children are from backgrounds where verbal or physical violence is an every day fact in their young lives.
    Respect is not an innate attribute, it has to be learned by example or through experience and to demand respect by right, is not is feasible concept unless the seeds have been sown from a early age in another place.
    The sanction of exclusion is a place of last resort and it seems to me that it is is being used sparingly and appropriately.
    Long gone are the days when one had ones ears twisted or hit with a chair leg secreted in the sleeve of an academic gown to demand ‘respect’- and a good job they have too.
    Respect is not a right, it is an earned privilege.

Alunh
    Participant

Excellent Benjamin……except the whole point of the Post Report was to provide comparisons with places where the same problems don’t exist not to try and provide some explanation of why some teachers get abuse and others don’t.

I actually thought that you were an advocate of facts (lol).

In fairness, the Report doesn’t actually provide many like for like comparables, just absolute figures for what may prove to be Oranges and Apples places

Alunh
    Participant

@Sheefag 18143 wrote:

You really think that an obscure internet forum will make Wrexham a better place?
    Jesus Alan, you’re a smart bloke but quit while you’re behind.

Actually, and oddly, I quite agree with you. One forum will probably not make a difference, but there are many forums and many people of progressive vision active in the community. The trouble with the shoulder shrugging approach is that nothing ever happens. In my world, things are always happening and I’ve been brought up with the view that one person can make a difference. As it happens, there are many people of good will out there burrowing away and moving matters on.

Sheefag
    Participant

People with a sense of humour and a dislike of pomposity aren’t the problem in Wrexham and have never held it back.
    It’s more about ‘Groupthink’, tribalism, vested interests and an acute delusion of victimhood.
    Rather like Liverpool, the talent has always, and continues to leave however, the bitterness remains and sadly without the humour to soften the blow,

wxm
    Participant

@BenjaminM 18149 wrote:

Wxm, once again, advocates another report to the ‘community’ – but for what purpose, I ask myself and Dylan makes another sweeping statement (as is his wont) by intimating that educationalists do not follow the philosophy of inclusion. Another off the top of the head comment or is it this time, based on actual fact? …

Perhaps I should amplify: The community pays tax, that employs a Head of Education, to implement policy and support schools and Headteachers generally. If the standard of education is not performing to that desired, it would be a good idea for the Education Department to share this with parents and grandparents, so that they can talk this through with children in education, to foster a culture of understanding and change. If we don’t all know that there is a high level of exclusions, and that this and other behaviours are adversely affecting day to day education, then we can’t help our schools change things for the better. Having a number of schools having gone through special measures suggests that stronger involvement across all parents and families can only help the school system.

Alunh
    Participant

Hopefully, the use of Crayons to evaluate schools will help some of our friends see the nature of the problem.

99DylanJones
    Participant

So it looks like unless a youngster from Wrexham town is able to get into St Josephs (Green rated) they have a choice of two red rated (Clywedog and Rhosnessni) or one amber (Morgan Llwyd) — is this really a good choice for our youngsters to embark on their next step up in education.
    Let us hope that the new Children’s Commissioner lays down the challenge to toe WG and Local Education bodies to get this sorted as Wales is currently FAILING our next generations.
    We now have over 2,500 Secondary pupils in Wrexham either in a Red or Amber school..

99DylanJones
    Participant

My last thread should have said in danger of Failing not FAILING as I realize the amber schools are equally able to improve to green as they are to slip to red. I would also acknowledge that there are some very good teachers in Wrexham who actually struggle from within the system’ to achieve change as well so will retract the harshness that the previous comment could be perceived as showing.

Alunh
    Participant

@99DylanJones 18426 wrote:

My last thread should have said in danger of Failing not FAILING as I realize the amber schools are equally able to improve to green as they are to slip to red. I would also acknowledge that there are some very good teachers in Wrexham who actually struggle from within the system’ to achieve change as well so will retract the harshness that the previous comment could be perceived as showing.

Spot on Dylan. I take it as a given when writing about schools in Wrexham that any criticism is not aimed at hard working teachers. Whilst it is true that there may well be some very poor teachers across the entire country, the heart of the Educational problem is usually to do with structure and systems. One of the schools that is rated in the Red category has had a succession of Headmasters and any amount of money thrown at it to make improvements. None of this has worked. I am not a fan of selection at 11 and Grammar Schools for some but at least Grammar Schools worked for some in Wrexham. Conversely, children who had aptitudes for other things were placed in a more appropriate environment (Secondaries and Techs). Surely, it is not beyond the intellectual ability of those who run things to come up with a non-selective system that matches children to Education in such a way that all receive equally an appropriate Education.

In England, the Blairite New Labour Government did wrestle with this problem and did begin a process of reform that at least tried to solve the problem. This process has continued. In Wales, Education is still stuck in the caves with stalagmites and stalactites. One major reason for restlessness amongst 12-16 year olds is being stuck in a class where the lesson has no relevance to a child’s aptitudes, abilities or interests. This is where we are today and the fact that the various Reports now hi-light a range of different facts should be a matter of real concern

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Warning issued after ‘lithium battery’ causes fire at Wrexham recycling centre

News

New economy minister sets out his priorities for Wales

News

7 Facts You Should (or Shouldn’t) Go For a Ph.D.

News

Proposals submitted to turn Wrexham beauty salon into children’s home

News

Friends take on 45-mile ultramarathon to raise funds for mental health charity

News

Three arrested over ‘intent to supply Class B drugs’

News