Coleg Cambria Freshers Fayre (Interesting!)

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Coleg Cambria Freshers Fayre (Interesting!)

• Author

Conde
    Participant

Hello all,
    Well, as some of you may know, Colleg Cambria ( The merged college of Yale and Deeside Colleges) had it’s Freshers fayre on Thursday. I was ever so pleased I could go back to Yale, after overseeing part of the merger process during my time as Student Governor there.

The students and staff were all on good form, and the response from the wider community wanting to get involved with the college was FANTASTIC!

That is of course, until you look at the response from 3 of the 4 biggest political parties in Wales.

I was there, flying my usual colours of yellowy-orange for the Welsh Liberal Democrats (And for the first time, Ieuenctid Rhyddfrydol Cymru! – Liberal Youth Wales).

Labour turned up, mainly manned by an individual councillor who represents Bangor. ( Good to see the local Labour group caring about Further Education (NOT!))

The Conservatives, well… they couldn’t be bothered to turn up. They haven’t since before 2010 – which was my first year.

Plaid Cymru, they didn’t turn up either.

I was exceptionally unhappy about this response from the local activists of Labour, Plaid and Conservatives. Where is their commitment to local students?

The Liberal Democrats were there and we fielded some tough questions from students. Same couldn’t be said for the others. I think this was shown in our recruitment figures. Let’s just say Wrexham has a stronger youth branch than it ever has before. We haven’t even got to the university yet.

My comments are as follows: Where is the commitment from Conservatives and Plaid? Do you not care about FE college students?

My question for Labour… where are your young people? You have so much resource but couldn’t even be bothered to make different literature from last year.

As a student ( now of Glyndwr, formerly Yale) and a political activist, I am DISGUSTED by the lack of effort shown by Labour, Conservatives and Plaid.

Sort it out.

(PS. Big thank you to Aled Roberts AM, who as per usual, made it to Yale college to show his support from students, listen to the feedback on the ground and deal with every question he was dealt with!)

thewayneinspain
    Participant

would be interesting to hear why, although i suspect it’s probably not wanting to be connected to the name change and not wanting to be seen to say this in public.

My views on aled roberts are simple, i hold him more responsible than any other politician for what happened at wrexham afc.

Conde
    Participant

I hope it isn’t.
    I’m still shocked by the fact they didn’t turn up.
    If it is due to the merger, having looked at the evidence I looked at whilst on the merger group in 2012, I can happily say I support what has happened.

But like I said, if it is the name change, then it’s a sad state of affairs that other political parties are abandoning the college.

As for Wrexham AFC, me and you have spoken about this on the past, I dare say either of us will change our opinions on it.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News