Coedpoeth Lead Pollution bill

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Coedpoeth Lead Pollution bill

• Author

Taff
    Participant

I know one of the householders, but there have also been several comments made to the press and on the group’s Twitter page. I agree, personaly I wouldn’t care where it came from as long as it didn’t cost me, it’s the delay caused by uk govt refusing to take any responsibility (as they did in Scotland) while residents & WG waited for a commitment on splitting costs 50-50 that’s annoyed them. All could have been sorted sooner through action from central gov. But all’s well that ends well etc. Until next time, that is…

Sheefag
    Participant

It’ll be one or two ungrateful  SoAndSo’s Taff, not all of them.

Some people should count their lucky stars they’re not living elsewhere in the EU where a less caring government would not only leave them to pick up the bill would force them to do so.

Taff
    Participant

Definitely, I never thought they’d get it paid for. Only fair as the pollution was nothing to do with them, but the right thing to do isn’t always done by the authorities! Glad someone has stepped up this time though.

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

I realise that as the householders they did not cause the problem but why should taxpayers pay for industrial waste problems that the ‘authorities’ should have dealt with. This is going to open an avalanche of claims — the Minister Carl Sargent says it won’t set a precedent — once the first payment is made a precedent is in place. This is going to cost Wales £millions.

The amount of ‘reclaimed’ land from mining , steel works and other heavy industry is 1000 of acres.

If you are not from the area that you are living in fnd someone over the age of 60 and ask them what was on the land before your house was built.

Sheefag
    Participant

Thing is Peter, would you really ask detailed, historical, geological and environmental questions of people who often struggle to remember where they left their glasses?

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

They may forget where they out their glasses but the memory of older people about the past is far better.

Can you remind me what I wrote!!

Sheefag
    Participant

Something about ‘Who’s coat is that jacket’, if I recall correctly.

Taff
    Participant

So-called ‘precedents’ are broken willy nilly, as we’ve seen by the UK gov agreeing to pay half for residents in Scotland and not offering the residents in this case a penny! It’s a tricky one Peter, but what’s the alternative – make these householders pay thousands of pounds for something that’s not their fault? The Assembly wasn’t even in existence when these homes were build and the surveys were (we presume) done, so out of them, the UK gov and the council they’re the ones with least responsibility to help the residents. And yet they have. Don’t get me wrong, I’m no particular lover of the Welsh gov, but they’ve stepped up this time. I don’t mind a few pence of my taxes going towards helping them!

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

There is such a thing as professional and public indemnity  insurance which is what the original assessors and solicitors would have in place. If someone dies from an industrial illness such as asbestosis then a claim is made against their previous employer even if it is 40 years ago and they have been taken over- this principle should apply here

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

“Lots of Wrexham routes make perfect sense for review” – Ken Skates on 20 MPH

News

Eisteddfod proclamation on Saturday will be ‘full of colour’

News

“Constructive” meeting over odour complaints at Hafod landfill

News

Hundreds facing cancer treatment delays as waiting times hit second-worst on record

News

Thrilling new water park to waves in North Wales seaside town

News

Nationwide ban on wet wipes containing plastic set to be introduced

News