Coedpoeth Lead Pollution bill

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Coedpoeth Lead Pollution bill

• Author

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

Can someone please explain why Taxpayers are going to pay the bill for the clean up of the contaminated land in Coedpoeth. Why has Welsh Government stepped in to something that should have been detected by the Land Registry, The Planning Department, The Builder, Building Inspector, The purchasers solicitor.
    Is the ‘system’ not there to protect householders?
    Are WG picking up the costs because they know that the system that they are ultimately responsible for has totally failed at all levels.
    This fiasco needs to be fully investigated by the Wales Audit Office to identify what has gone wrong and who should pay– WE as ratepayers/taxpayers SHOULD NOT pay!!

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

If only people actually ask local people — many of the older people in Coedpoeth at the time as they said no one should build on know polluted land.
    Recent houses in Rhostyllen will be subject to the same with industrial pollution from the foundry.
    The old Monsanto and Air Products are the same — industry should pay up for their pollution and householders should double check.

Born Acorn
    Participant

These houses were all built before 96. That’s before Wrexham CBC and before the Welsh Government.

The blame would likely lie with the environmental consultant who carried out the environment report for the applicant, if you can figure that out! If not them, the applicant themselves.

Sheefag
    Participant

It’s called Community and it only seems fair to me.

Peterthewatcher
    Participant

This is not community it is about the appropriate authority being brought to account for not carrying out their job. There are very significant areas around Wrexham that are potential pollutant sites and the same costs could be incurred over and over.

It does not matter of the issue took place under different LA as all previous actions fall to the current administration when changes occur.

In this instance the developer will have made significant profits .

wrexview
    Participant

The One Show had a segment on this last night and it appears the Government stepped in and paid for a similar situation in Scotland and the Welsh Assembly has followed suit. I thought there was a contamination survey on all land at the development stage and had to be submitted when planning permission was applied for.

Taff
    Participant

The One Show segment didn’t represent the situation as outlined by the local press. If you read the Leader and the Daily Post, both said the Welsh Government stepped in because the UK Government wouldn’t (despite requests). In Scotland the costs were shared between Westminster and the Scottish parliament I believe, but for some reason the UK Govt didn’t help this time. I thought the One Show very much tried to make out that they saved the day, but I guess they had to try and take credit seeing as they’re funded by taxpayers!

Sheefag
    Participant

Devolution is devolution, the Welsh assembly exists to look after Wales. It’s absolutely fair and correct that they funded this.

Bearing in mind that Wales fiscally delivers far less to the exchequer than it receives, the money ultimately came from central government and UK taxpayers anyway.

Taff
    Participant

I agree the Welsh Government should help, definitely. The point I was making was that in Scotland it was 50-50 between Scots parliament and UK Gov so it seems according to the press that all parties involved (except Westminster) were hoping for the same kind of solution this time. I think that’s what’s annoyed residents, UK Gov helping Scottish families and not Welsh ones. Welsh Government comes out looking better, UK Gov misses a trick.

Sheefag
    Participant

If I were a resident, I wouldn’t be daft enough to care where the money came form so long as it came.

Where has it been expressed that this has annoyed residents?

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

More detail on club accounts as owners will ‘continue to offer minority equity positions to strategic partners’

News

Turnover up 75% as Wrexham AFC say ‘losses shouldnt be repeated’ as payroll nears £7m

News

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News