City status bid – a year on?

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum City status bid – a year on?

• Author

Liam
    Participant

Wrexham Council will hear whether its bid for city status has been successful this year, thought it would be interesting to see what people think of the bid.

Personally I don’t think the council should have gone ahead with it after people voted two to one against it in the public consultation. What’s the point in carrying it out if you’re just going to ignore the results?

Rob
    Participant

I am not that bothered about Wrexham becoming a city, in reality it does not mean a great deal!

In terms of the current economic climate I am sure the money (however small) spent on this could be spent on better things….

Bugsy
    Participant

Wrexham City. Wrexham Town. I know which sounds better.

wrexview
    Participant

well the Council have applied before and failed ,who knows they could just succeed this time! Our compe***ors include St Austell in Cornwall for one. Do you know of others?

Liam
    Participant

Bolton, Bournemouth, Chelmsford, Colchester, Coleraine, Corby, Craigavon, Croydon, Doncaster, Dorchester, Dudley, Dumfries, Gateshead, Goole, Luton, Medway, Middlesbrough, Milton Keynes, Perth, Reading, Southend, St Asaph, St Austell, Stockport, Tower Hamlets and Wrexham.

Bolton, Doncaster, Luton, Middlesborough and Reading surely all have better chances?

wrexview
    Participant

Well I suppose if there is to be only one , then the first decision to be made is it to be in England , Wales,Scotland or Northern Ireland.Perhaps as it is the Queen’s Golden Jubilee they could change their minds and have one in each country , then we would be really in with a chance!

Mike
    Participant

Seen as it’s about a year since the failed city status bid does anyone think Wrexham is worse off for having lost out? Does it make any difference at all? Or just not bothered?

Chris
    Participant

The bigwigs at the council have lost out on a pay rise other than that …………………..

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I honestly don’t think it’s made one iota of difference. The shops we have lost would have gone anyway. Being a city wouldn’t have stopped the chains from closing. It might make a difference to funding allocations but I don’t know enough about it to know for sure.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

I think if the town had got city status, there may have been an uplift in townsfolk morale and pride of it for a short time.

…but long term it wouldn’t have made any difference and likewise there has been no legacy from the campaign.

For me, for it to have had a legacy, a campaign like this had to evolve from the financial and business sectors of a town. It didn’t, it was just politicians on a power trip and making grand gestures for the sake of being seen, when really they should have been spending their time looking after their inhabitants.

When speaking spanish, I call wrexham a city anyway. It’s just a noun. That’s all.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Lasit Spearheads a Clean Revolution: Laser Technology Redefines Industrial Cleaning

News

Shape Your Future: Unique Student Opportunities at Wrexham University

News

From Campus to Community: The Role of Wrexham’s Colleges in Local Economic Development

News

Beyond Academics: A Closer Look at Extracurricular Opportunities in Wrexham’s Colleges

News

Off-road motorcyclists ‘using their bikes dangerously’ warned they ‘will be seized’

News

Saturday’s Wrexham Artisan Market to be ‘showcase’ of local and national products

News