City Status

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum City Status

• Author

MP1953
    Participant

Whats the feeling ???

You may of seen the idiotic story in the Leader regarding city status and being backed up by some has-been mep or whatever he was lord Elis-Thomas well I am sick to death of Ian Lucas and Bob Dutton trying to get a pay rise well I have written the following letter to the leader, let’s see how much of it they print
    Dear Sir
    I would like to reply to the ludicrous story featuring Lord Dafydd Elis-Thomas stating that Wrexham should become a city, well let’s put the record straight Wrexham have applied 3 times for city status and failed miserable every time. Who is this Lord Elis-Thomas does he live in Wrexham if not then it has nothing to do with him. Wrexham have had numerous votes on whether we should become a city and the public voted overwhelmingly against the idea at 3-1. Bob Dutton and Ian Lucas please take note we DO NOT want Wrexham to be a city all you are concerned with is swelling your own pockets well it’s not going to happen. I have a page on Facebook which now has over 400 members against the idea of Wrexham becoming a city I would like your readers to join the site if they want so we can fight these idiotic Councillors and has-been AM’s who are Wrexham council going to pull out the cupboard next to support them Lord Lucas perhaps give it up Councillors you have no chance.
    Keith Williams “SAY NO TO WREXHAM CITY STATUS” https://www.facebook.com/groups/119643351392970/

Rob
    Participant

I would have to check but I believe that was circulated by a PR company.

If that was the case it would be interesting to know who is paying the PR company for that article, and if its a case of trying to make a story have an ‘interesting angle’ so it gets published or if there is an different motive?

If it is the PR company I am thinking of I do not think I would get too far asking them direct :)

The only times recently I can remember the topic being aired is via such press releases. That to me would suggest its a defunct topic / desperation to create something controversial ?

jimbow
    Participant

Cllr.Bob Dutton did mention the word City Status briefly in a Council meeting a few weeks back,it can be seen on the webcast.He will just not give up,nor will he listen to others.

beedar
    Participant

A few years ago, council members spent all day in town asking people their opinion on city status for Wrexham. An overwhelming majority of almost 90% voted no. What did the council do then, go ahead and apply for city status. I ask just one question, what on earth was the point in conducting the survey in the first place if you then just go and ignore the local public’s opinion ?

feedshallow
    Participant

Just wondering – would anyone be willing to list the pros and cons of city status for Wrexham?

Chris
    Participant

I will list the pros

FINISHED

johnhoppy
    Participant

@feedshallow 17165 wrote:

Just wondering – would anyone be willing to list the pros and cons of city status for Wrexham?

I personally am not in favour of city status, but to look at matters objectively is there a source we can look to as to the effects, positive or otherwise, that the effect of the grant of city status has had on other towns which have been granted this status in recent years?

Alunh
    Participant

I like your thinking on this Johnhoppy. Even then, however, I am not sure if looking at the effect on one town will guide us to the effect on Wrexham. Towns have to brand themselves building logically on the facets that they possess. Some towns have fabulous architecture or wonderful scenery, others have huge cathedrals and churches, Universities and Markets.

Chester clearly has advantages over Wrexham when it comes to, for example, its Cathedral and Buildings and the historic nature of this old Roman town with its walls, etc lends itself to being a City. Wrexham has always struck me differently and my mum always said that she preferred coming to the Market town of Wrexham than the City of Chester. Personally, I would build on the idea of Wrexham being a gateway town, the gateway to Wales and a Market town en route to scenic Wales. Of course, that would mean getting the Markets up to scratch but this could be done quite easily

feedshallow
    Participant

@Chris 17166 wrote:

I will list the pros

FINISHED

Thanks for your in depth consideration of my question. I was thinking more along the lines of the financial issues. Would Wrexham gain or lose fiscally by attaining city status?

ddraig
    Participant

I ‘get’ that most people don’t feel Wrexham justifies ‘city status’ – however I am bemused by the lack of civic pride most residents have. I have lived in the Midlands for 3 years, London for 8 and New York for 2 and now I live back in Wrexham and despite all the problems and supposed bad reputation that Wrexham has I would really like the town to succeed and fulfil its potential – and become a place I would be proud to both hail from and live in.

This objection to City Status seems to come from a misguided notion that it will lead to higher expenses and a pay rise for councillors. Where do you people get this information from?? This is clearly NOT the case, City status in this country is a purely academic award and has no bearing whatsoever on the council, rates, tax or services. This is completely different to a corporation or metropolitan county/area (such as Greater London or Manchester). So please, if you raise an objection do it with real facts..

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Calls for urgent clarity of future of nuclear energy developments in North Wales

News

A view from Wrexham’s Member of the Senedd

News

Welsh Government funding for children’s hospices not enough, says sector leader

News

College’s celebration of education and diversity goes from strength to strength

News

Clean energy projects ‘harming’ rural Wales, warns Conservative MS

News

News