Chesters Shops

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Chesters Shops

• Author

Rondetto
    Participant

My wife and I went shopping in Chester today. It’s clear they have the same High street closures as everywhere else. But it’s still busy with tourists and the open top bus is still packed for the tour of the city.
    Their Primark is far bigger than here in Wrexham and a pleasure to shop in.
    There’s been a lot of changes in the indoor market since our last visit with some stalls closing and others opened.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

This recession is hitting every where. It makes me sad the Wrexham is looking so bare with empty shops. I spend as much as I can in town but some things are just not available so I am forced to look elsewhere. It’s such a shame as I would much prefer to shop in my home town.

wrexview
    Participant

What sort of things can’t you buy? I often wonder what shops we should be trying to attract to Wrexham.

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I can never find occassion clothes in Wrexham. Debenhams have them but at a cost. For every day wear I use BHS but the shop in Wrexham is very limited. The one in Chester holds more stock so I tend to go there. I have ordered on line before now and collected them from BHS in Wrexham but it’s not the same as trying on before you buy.

GasMan
    Participant

If they can not compete with online prices, then they have no chance, online shopping is easier, cheaper, less hassle, more choice etc. We will in years to come, look back on this and view it as a natural progression of our economy.

I am in the growing number of people that really couldn’t care less for the high street as long as Tims for Fish and a few of my most used butchers stay open, but it’s the pensioners i feel sorry for, add to the mix the complete scum that loiter around acting like complete idiots, it doesn’t make a good shopping experience for them

Welsh Dresser
    Participant

I do care about the shops in the High Street. The town centre looks barren because of the empty shops. If they can’t fill the shops then why not turn them into residences. I understand that the way of shopping has changed but I don’t have to like it. I have to say though that I have never had any trouble when shopping in town. One young man did bump into me as he wasn’t looking where he was going. When he said ‘Sorry mate’ it tickled me!

Rondetto
    Participant

The high cost of parking in Wrexham put many off. Down south I’ve experienced many places that give free parking in town centres (Gosport, Fareham,Portsmouth)
    You can park for 3 hours in Mold town centre for 20p. It’s always busy there too, it’s an incentive to shop there. I often pop in to M&S in Eagles meadow and even though I’m only there for 10 minutes, I come out with a full bag of food. It costs me £2 to park for that 10 minute shop. I’ve heard a few couples say they wouldn’t be shopping in Wrexham any more after paying £2 for such a short visit.

GasMan
    Participant

In Manchester, most likely other larger city’s, you can order online from local shops, food, clothes, household items, all sorts and they will delivery them, within the hour, to your front door, so i am not saying local business need to close down. Nothing like this goes on in Wrexham, Maplins is the only major chain I know off that does 1 hour delivery, but ours doesn’t

wxm
    Participant

Of the many sayings in retail, the one “location, location, location” comes to mind. Followed by the challenge of the “offer” to the “consumer”.

Historically, Wrexham was a market town that attracted the regular shopper, and Chester a boutique city that attracted consumers to its less regular, but higher value part of its offer?

The two were quite different, then Cheshire Oaks and easy access car shopping facilities stole the march. (Online shopping is showing massive growth, but not all consumers are persuaded that this is the holy grail, and are reverting to hands on in store).

Chester still has an offer because is focuses on its consumer? Wrexham needs to find its unique selling point, its differentiation, and stick with it. Chasing smaller retail units that offer less choice is not todays market. One example of modern success are the adaption of market towns, and Wrexham will not come to any harm if it examines such possibilities.

Retail is also fundamentally about reputation, and reputation taking a generation to grow, and a season to throw away – Wrexham must be prepared for a very long haul to correct its market position?

Rondetto
    Participant

One town that has almost died a death is Oswestry. Their outdoor and indoor market is practically non existent now. Empty shops and a deserted town centre doesn’t make it appealing any more.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

County Lines drug dealers targeted as part of major police operation

News

Clwyd South MS gives ringing endorsement to church bell restoration bid

News

Works on New Broughton housing development set to begin in spring

News

North Wales chief constable backs new Police Anti-Corruption and Abuse Reporting Service

News

Welsh gaming professionals flying the flag at “instrumental” US conference

News

What to expect with new first minister set to be appointed and cabinet reshuffle on the horizon

News