Cheapskates!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cheapskates!

• Author

Darlofan
    Participant

Working in the food industry for as long as I have you very quickly realise the end product is more than likely the same regardless of the packaging. This in my eyes transfers over into everyday things like car repairs, domestic jobs/repairs etc.

Sheefag
    Participant

I am without words at this logic.

dale
    Participant

You don’t believe you could possibly, ever, be charged the same or more for an inferior product or service? Really?

And that all tradesmen are some kind of latter day saints who can do no wrong, and would ALWAYS give a fair price guvnor….

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Sheefag
    Participant

Apologies, it was the simplicity and broadness of your argument.
    I mean, if an aerial installer uses RG6/CT100 cable or cheapo low loss coax, it’s all the same then?
    If an aerial installer uses a tape lashing kit, a wire lashing kit, sleeve anchors or chemical fixing then it’s all the same right?
    If…….. etc.

dale
    Participant

Ah, but as I said it’s not a simple argument though, ie expensive doesn’t always mean better and cheap doesn’t always mean shoddy.

A better example, and sticking to the av theme would be gold plated hdmi cables for £50. Better picture, or just a myth?

For the record, I used cheap but adequate coax for mine and have a perfect hd picture to 3 tv’s, being an ex radar engineer I can tell the difference between expensive bling and decent quality reasonably priced gear though.

AMA Express
    Participant

3773789197_15d24ac498_b.jpg

Darlofan
    Participant

@Sheefag 18686 wrote:

Apologies, it was the simplicity and broadness of your argument.
    I mean, if an aerial installer uses RG6/CT100 cable or cheapo low loss coax, it’s all the same then?
    If an aerial installer uses a tape lashing kit, a wire lashing kit, sleeve anchors or chemical fixing then it’s all the same right?
    If…….. etc.

Do you really think the majority of people out there would be able to see any difference in picture with different cables? Absolutely not. This is half the problem why people ask for cheap quotes. What they want is an honest quote not somebody up selling a platinum coated something or other that will improve the job and make it last a lifetime.

Darlofan
    Participant

@dale 18684 wrote:

You don’t believe you could possibly, ever, be charged the same or more for an inferior product or service? Really?

And that all tradesmen are some kind of latter day saints who can do no wrong, and would ALWAYS give a fair price guvnor….

ha ha ha ha ha ha

Trust no one that quotes for a job until you’ve researched, researched and researched. That’s my motto.

Huw
    Participant

Cheap quotes are the way to go are they? Mmmmm.

Last year my neighbour approached me to ask who painted my fascia boards and soffitts as her’s needed doing. When I told her how much I had paid, bearing in mind the state mine were in, i.e lots of bare wood, loose paint, etc she nearly fainted and said that she could get it done far cheaper. Her’s were in similar condition to mine so needed a fair bit of work. Sure enough she had some rough looking bloke out to do the work for nearly half the amount I had paid! She thoroughly enjoyed telling me just how much less she had paid too. Only 8 months later and her paint work is peeling and flaking away. Mine was done around 6 years ago and still looks like new. Guess who’s laughing now

dale
    Participant

And yet, when British Gas came and gave me quote for my boiler replacement they wanted about twice the amount an independent Corgi (At the time, now GASSafe) registered plumber wanted for the same job.

However you still hear horror stories like this…….
    Poisoned family wins payout – Manchester Evening News

Go figure……. if you think expensive = good then fair play.

I guess for every anecdote you can give about paying top price and getting good service, you can find another where someone has got equally good service at a cheaper price, or vice versa got poor service at a premium price.

However much you think it might be black and white, it almost certainly isn’t.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Opportunity knocks for Wrexham brewery at major trade show

News

Man taken to hospital after incident at Brymbo property

News

Wrexham shoplifter jailed after city centre offences

News

Wrexham to take on Vancouver White Caps in ‘Wrex Coast Tour’

News

National Playday returning to Wrexham for a fun-filled day of activities!

News

Apartment plans for former Johnstown shop

News