Cheapskates!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cheapskates!

• Author

justjojo2011
    Participant

Good for you. So why buy a dog and bark yourself?

But at the end of the day, we’re talking about someone you saw on Twitter ask for it and not you so I wonder, why do you even care so much what someone else does?

@Big H 18590 wrote:

Actually, yes I could fit my own aerial but don’t have to because I know plenty of tradesmen that can do work for me as and when needed, for a fair price not a cheap price! I get fed up of hearing the word cheap and expecting people to work for nothing.

Huw
    Participant

@Darlofan 18608 wrote:

Last year our (old style massive) tv gave up. It was a tesco own make £179 and lasted just under 9 years. Thought we’d be flash then and spend a bit more on the next one. So we went to Richer Sounds and bought a Sharp tv 32in (nothing extreme) for over 300 quid. It lasted 3 weeks and 2 lots of repairs before it went back. Off to Tescos and picked up a 32in for £139 in sale. Lovely tv and still going strong. Same with washing machine, replaced the old cheap one last year after 9 yrs fault free with an indesit for twice the price. Engineer was out last week to that one so we’ll see.
    I’d rather buy cheap. At the end of the day he wants a tv aerial put up so he can receive a picture. Picture will be the same whether he pays 10 quid or 100 quid.[/QUOTE

And there we have one of the many cheapskates in the area.

dale
    Participant

@Big H 18613 wrote:

@Darlofan 18608 wrote:

Last year our (old style massive) tv gave up. It was a tesco own make £179 and lasted just under 9 years. Thought we’d be flash then and spend a bit more on the next one. So we went to Richer Sounds and bought a Sharp tv 32in (nothing extreme) for over 300 quid. It lasted 3 weeks and 2 lots of repairs before it went back. Off to Tescos and picked up a 32in for £139 in sale. Lovely tv and still going strong. Same with washing machine, replaced the old cheap one last year after 9 yrs fault free with an indesit for twice the price. Engineer was out last week to that one so we’ll see.
    I’d rather buy cheap. At the end of the day he wants a tv aerial put up so he can receive a picture. Picture will be the same whether he pays 10 quid or 100 quid.[/QUOTE

Or any other area……….I don’t think Wrexham has some sort of monopoly on people wanting things for the cheapest possible.

Do you know the guys circumstances? He could be a pensioner who doesn’t have money to spare? He could be some one who has fallen on hard times with a family to support and would rather pay for his kids meals than pay top dollar for an aerial installed, of course he could just be tight and if he is then so what??

The website Moneysavingexpert has something like 6 million subscribers. They don’t all come from Wrehxham you know

johnhoppy
    Participant

I would say that its pretty unlucky these days to have a TV that is faulty. I can’t remember when a TV ‘broke’ on me last. You are more likely to get fed up of it and get a new one for new features than have one break.

Darlofan
    Participant

@Big H 18613 wrote:

@Darlofan 18608 wrote:

Not a cheapskate at all just financially savvy. I have a wife and 2 young children, we both work full time and have since age of 16. We own our own house and enjoy nice holidays each year, days out and meals out regularly with the kids and without. Yes I will research things before making major purchases and like a bargain (I research to check whether it is a bargain too not believe a label). I swap utility suppliers, haggle with Sky etc to reduce bills each year.
    Just moved house and had new central heating fitted, I had various quotes for labour only as I could get boiler and parts cheaper. Quotes varied by £480 why would anyone sensible choose the dearest? Boiler and radiators are all fitted and gas safe certified exactly the same as if I’d used the more expensive plumber.

Huw
    Participant

Without seeing the work done by the cheaper plumber I cannot comment but £480 seems a big difference. Time may tell with that kind of job whether the cheaper option was the best one, i.e leaks, etc.
    I’m not saying that everybody should pay top whack for everything but a little bit of understanding of what things actually cost and respect the fact that tradesmen need to earn a living just like everybody else would be a start.

dale
    Participant

@Big H 18621 wrote:

Without seeing the work done by the cheaper plumber I cannot comment but £480 seems a big difference. Time may tell with that kind of job whether the cheaper option was the best one, i.e leaks, etc.
    I’m not saying that everybody should pay top whack for everything but a little bit of understanding of what things actually cost and respect the fact that tradesmen need to earn a living just like everybody else would be a start.

So what’s your actual point then? Guy asks for a cheap aerial installer, ie he doesn’t want to pay top prices.

People recommend someone who is cheap – they may be a one man company with few overheads, therefore can offer a cheaper service, as opposed to a large chain with fancy vans and an MD in a Range Rover.

I’m just totally confused by what point you are trying to make? That people shouldn’t shop around or ask advice when getting prices for jobs? That they should just accept a huge quote?

I say good on the guy, there are enough stories about people being ripped off by trades people, fair play to him. Whoever comes around to do the job will obviously quote him what they think is an acceptable price.

Huw
    Participant

My point has been made, end of.

Chris
    Participant

I think I understand your point because if the tweeter had asked for” recommended aerial installers” then they would have received balanced replies price/quality but as they have asked for a “cheap job as it only needs to be put on the roof” then they are only going to attract fly by nights whose quality of install could prove inferior and potentially expensive.
    The tone of the tweeter seemed to demean the skill of the installer and yes sounded like as cheapskate.

Lemonpopsical
    Participant

@Big H 18623 wrote:

My point has been made, end of.

To be honest sounds more like you were stung by a botched job than anything else.

It happens and it’s not right, but you’re getting your knickers in a twist with the wrong people.

“little bit of understanding of what things actually cost”

I think you’d benefit from an understanding of that. If it’s something that you can just “do yourself” (which of course you can), then it’s paradoxical to suggest people shouldn’t look for a cheap option. The ability to do it yourself means that tradesmen have to be priced competitively. The fact that aerial installs range from around £50 to £500+ means that some are fattening their wallets more than others for a relatively basic service (that you can do yourself).

If you REALLY want to stride forward on this crusade of justice of yours I suggest you find the manufacturers of the materials used in an aerial install and pay them more money. But I suspect you’re just butthurt for the above mentioned reason.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News

Airbnb expansion exacerbates housing woes for ex-offenders in Wrexham as Rob & Ryan dodge blame

News

Friends and Wrexham AFC fans taking on walking challenge for Dynamic

News

North Wales Minister role branded as “tokenistic” by Plaid Cymru MS

News

Number of Welsh 18-year-olds enrolling at Wrexham University “down 5 per cent this year”

News

Prioritise support over punishment for young vapers, says Public Health Wales

News