Cheapskates!

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cheapskates!

• Author

Huw
    Participant

Why do some people in Wrexham think they should have products or services for next to nothing? Only today there is a chap on the Twitter feed asking for an aerial to be installed on his roof by a ‘cheap’ installer! Do it your bloody self! Do people not realise that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys! Everybody likes a bargain I understand that but if you’re hiring a tradesman pay the going rate or don’t waste their time. I would like a brand new Ferrari but I know damn well I can’t afford one so wouldn’t waste the salesman’s (or my own) time! Rant over.

Maureen Gray
    Participant

I saw a pair on e-bay the other day for only £3 [in-line blue size 7].

justjojo2011
    Participant

Perhaps the person asking for someone to fit the aeriel on their roof can’t afford “the going rate”? And do it themselves? I can’t climb up on a roof and fit an aerial, can you?

Huw
    Participant

Actually, yes I could fit my own aerial but don’t have to because I know plenty of tradesmen that can do work for me as and when needed, for a fair price not a cheap price! I get fed up of hearing the word cheap and expecting people to work for nothing.

AMA Express
    Participant

@Big H 18590 wrote:

I get fed up of hearing the word cheap and expecting people to work for nothing.

Cheap = Low in price, especially in relation to similar items or services.

Nothing = Not anything.

There’s a huge difference between the two. :) Although I agree that cheapest ain’t always best.

Huw
    Participant

Should have said ‘next to nothing’;)

Cheapest definitely isn’t best, I know from personal experience in hiring tradesmen. I’ve hired all kinds of trades over the past 30 or so years and believe me I’ve seen everything.

Pay cheap – pay twice.

dewi73
    Participant

Does he mean ‘cheap’ as opposed to being ripped off?

Huw
    Participant

Doubt that. Cheap as in…will ya do it for £20 cash?! Like tradesmen don’t have mortgages, bills, etc to pay.

AMA Express
    Participant

Or tax. ;)

Darlofan
    Participant

@Big H 18595 wrote:

Should have said ‘next to nothing’;)

Cheapest definitely isn’t best, I know from personal experience in hiring tradesmen. I’ve hired all kinds of trades over the past 30 or so years and believe me I’ve seen everything.

Pay cheap – pay twice.

Last year our (old style massive) tv gave up. It was a tesco own make £179 and lasted just under 9 years. Thought we’d be flash then and spend a bit more on the next one. So we went to Richer Sounds and bought a Sharp tv 32in (nothing extreme) for over 300 quid. It lasted 3 weeks and 2 lots of repairs before it went back. Off to Tescos and picked up a 32in for £139 in sale. Lovely tv and still going strong. Same with washing machine, replaced the old cheap one last year after 9 yrs fault free with an indesit for twice the price. Engineer was out last week to that one so we’ll see.
    I’d rather buy cheap. At the end of the day he wants a tv aerial put up so he can receive a picture. Picture will be the same whether he pays 10 quid or 100 quid.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News

“Disrespectful” easter egg hunt in cemetery cancelled after backlash

News