Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

• Author

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

The analogy about Queens Sq is spot on. The buck certainly stops with the council there, they need to be more hands on. We are in this position partly through council mismanagement and lack of foresight. Is Isobel Garner still on the payroll? If so I would like to see her views?

NJones
    Participant

@wrexview 7724 wrote:

I agree about Queen’s Square and with the close proximity of the bandstand on Llwyn Isaf , it would not take much to provide some music on summer weekends and encourage families to picnic and play games on the grass. Parents are always looking for free ways to entertain children during the long summer holidays.

The councils chief exec stopped music being played as it annoyed her. they’ve stopped ball games now too.

zinger
    Participant

I don’t think that anyone minds people enjoying themselves as long as they are smiling & happy & not annoying just to be annoying. It is the drunks, druggies, beggars (some), litter louts & aggressive people that spoil the perception of our town.

wrexview
    Participant

I can understand the problem of music during the week for those who work in the Guildhall but surely weekends are different! The Nightingale House Hospice summer fair was held there very successfully, complete with music, ball games, bouncy castle and the rest!! So it is possible it just needs some ” can do” mentality!

wrexview
    Participant

Well done to Beth Bennett and Valmi Wynn Jones for speaking out at the Executive Board meeting ,pointing out what many of us feel , compared to many other areas Wrexham is a good place to live. Time to give oxygen to the majority not the minority !

Alunh
    Participant

@wrexview 7739 wrote:

Well done to Beth Bennett and Valmi Wynn Jones for speaking out at the Executive Board meeting ,pointing out what many of us feel , compared to many other areas Wrexham is a good place to live. Time to give oxygen to the majority not the minority !

I’m with you, I really am. I love the town and it is a great place with many wonderful people. I’m even on board about Eagles Meadow- to an extent. Unfortunately you would be unwise to think that the contributors to these blogs fall into camps that see Wrexham negatively OR positively. I see the town in a positive light and have run a business here for 36 years. I am a real optimist.

Unfortunately, whilst I am an optimist about lots of things, I am not so blinkered as to be unable to see where there are failures and ineptitude. The current Town Council is making a complete pig’s ear of the People’s Market. The current Town Council should be ashamed of its Secondary Education Record. The current Town Council has failed to develop the type of strategies that will give the small scale Town enterprises (retail) a broadly level playing field with the Multiples and Eagles Meadow which its past redevelopment strategies have assisted.

This is not intellectual ping pong where there are negativists and positivists. Most of us have a view on issues, issue by issue. Any reader of the blogs over the last several months would see the range of views on show and I will toe to toe with anyone issue by issue. So that 2 contributors to a key meeting might have made a positive comment about the town. That does not particularly help Rhosnesni High in Special Measures

Liam
    Participant

I think there’s a difference which needs to be established between ‘talking the town down’ and people highlighting genuine concerns.

Councillors who have expressed worries about crime in their wards such as car arsons in Caia were today branded ‘purveyors of doom’. To me that is not helpful.

Likewise some concerns about the state of education seem to be falling on deaf ears. I would like to see the roots of these issues explored.

By all means talk up Wrexham when things are done well, but as yesterday’s partial publishing of the Jillings report 17 years too late showed we should ignore our failings at our peril.

Rob
    Participant

Wrexham Is ‘A Friendly & Good Place To Be’ | Wrexham.com

“It is a perception that is fuelled by some councillors criticising police. It also appears that the purveyors of doom are often the first port of call to members of the press. The perception is different to the reality”

It would be good if names were named in terms of Cllrs and publications as it would be dead easy to see if they match in number of quotes.

However if place X is a crime hotspot it seems it is ‘the done thing’ to get a quote from the local councillor, therefore its likely they will be both unhappy and quoted alot.

Chicken & egg!

Liam
    Participant

I know attempts have been made to discourage some Caia Park councillors from speaking out about car arsons, yet as we saw today the problem is persisting. I guess you’re bound to speak out continually and in a negative light if the issue is still not resolved. Caia Community Council has put in a lot of work to combat the issue and I imagine some are frustrated at the lack of results.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Lets be clear, its the negative bits that the council and other public bodies don’t like to see highlighted. We all know the positive bits about our fine town. If the council want to change the headlines, do something about the bad stuff. Simples.

Again, just as a reminder daytime in the “Town Centre” and crucially what visitors see (Where all the shops are). Drunks drinking on the streets, beggars, drug dealing, boarded up/empty shops. A general air of decay. None of this is impossible to sort out.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News

New gym plans for Wrexham Industrial Estate could create 70 jobs

News

Wrexham man taking on London Marathon challenge for disabled skiers

News

Almost one in five people in Wales waiting to start NHS treatment

News

Wales Transport Secretary calls for targeted 20mph zones near schools and hospitals

News