Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Changing Negative Perceptions Of Wrexham

• Author

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

I hope your talking to Isobel Garner tomorrow on Twitter Alun. Excellent posts

zinger
    Participant

Would it be a good idea to close the Peoples Market & bring the traders together in the Butchers Market? I don’t think that many people use the Peoples Market as it is half empty & it would bring the traders back to the town centre in a traditional Market. They could use the Market Street premises for student flats. Better there than Brook Street.

Alunh
    Participant

@zinger 7782 wrote:

Would it be a good idea to close the Peoples Market & bring the traders together in the Butchers Market? I don’t think that many people use the Peoples Market as it is half empty & it would bring the traders back to the town centre in a traditional Market. They could use the Market Street premises for student flats. Better there than Brook Street.

There is a logic to this. I don’t agree, however, because I don’t believe that the People’s Market is a lost cause.

My first observation would be that the People’s Market is far bigger than the other 2 markets and with well over 50 units (stalls and shops), would be a big economic entity to dismantle.

Secondly, if the People’s Market was to close, get ready for Chester Street to implode as well.

Thirdly, the idea of shutting the People’s Market is premised on the belief that the Town has given this space its best shot and, regardless of the effort, it has failed. Nothing could be further from the truth. Firstly, and I’m sure every trader would endorse this fact, the Market has been badly managed for years. Secondly, Rental patterns are crude and overly high with all sort of bad practices built in to the Council’s approach. Several traders have left in recent times because they have been attracted by relatively more competitive rents elsewhere.

Fourthly, and vitally, if we reduce our Market capacity, what type of branding statement are we making as a Town. To compete is to offer a difference and, regardless of the quality of Eagles Meadow, it is not the Multiples that give towns their unique character.

Fifthly, I do believe that if the Council attend to the dual issues of poor management and out of kilter rents, traders will return to the Market. One (and I stress one) of the reasons for the current lack of footflow is the lack of traders. This is now a chicken and egg scenario and there is a perfectly good case to be made that customers are not providing the footflow for the People’s Market because of the lack of traders. This reversing of the logic that is normally thrown out suggests that if more stalls re-emerge, footflow might revive.

Sixthly, it is clear that the TJHughes closure has played a detrimental role here and this might be reversed at any time in the future.

thewayneinspain
    Participant
    wrexham.com to Isobel Garner via twitter wrote:
    @wrexhamcbc What do you think needs to be done to change the negative perception of the town? #AskWCBC

Is this an adequate response….?

Isobel Garner via Twitter wrote:
    It needs all of us working together. Ultimate aim of everyone is that Wrexham is great and that we tell everyone that.

thunderbirdskid
    Participant

Somebody’s just got their “Communication Skills” box ticked on their WCBC
    Monthly Performance Review!

Metalhead
    Participant

@thunderbirdskid 7795 wrote:

Somebody’s just got their “Communication Skills” box ticked on their WCBC
    Monthly Performance Review!

Was a bit of a David Brent answer really wasn’t it.

thewayneinspain
    Participant

it showed she isn’t accountable. She replied to all questions but she only fully answered two.

Democracy was not in action.

“what do you think needs to be done to change the negative perception of the town? ” – she didn’t answer.

Aweaver2911
    Participant

I have never joined a forum before but feel now is the time after reading the post on the subject. Firstly I feel so many on here have the right attitude and energy in trying to promote the town. I’d also like to single out alunh for constant clever, insightful and productive comments.
    The point that’s made me join was raised above when I read the response from isobel garner to the question from @ Wrexham.com. To respond to concerns we have over our town in such a nonchalant manner is shocking. Sure we all want to have a fantastic opinion of Wrexham, bragging to all that’ll listen but we need evidence and facts of why we should have this stance. To simply cross your fingers and ask people to change their perception of the town without offering any insight into what you’re actually doing to improve things as TCM is laughable.

Alunh
    Participant

Similar happened in the Forum on Tuesday when Councillor Rogers was asked by a shrewd Forum member (Marlene) to amplify the plan for Wrexham. Councillor Rogers proceeded to outline an aspiration not a plan. A plan is not so much what the Town/Community want (though that is vital) but more about the fine detail of how to get there.

I too would like a Statement of intent for the Town. So many people offer a vision and it would be good to see a range of viable visions for the Town/Borough placed on the table. I’ve always liked the Market town (+) identity because it gives me the idea that local small scale Entrepreneurs will not be cast aside any more than they have been. Others have different visions.

Secondly, when some sort of sense of direction is secured, there has to be some meat on the bones. This is hopelessly lacking and it would be nice to see our Town Centre manager move from cliché to substance

thewayneinspain
    Participant

In the private business world, she would have been ‘let go’.

How can you run a business without a plan or clear defined stats?

She should be sacked, she can’t even justify that she is value for money.

It’s very sad that rogers can get away with not producing results. We are to blame for this.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Rare newts thriving after north east Wales pond restoration

News

Plans Submitted to Create Studio Flat Above Wrexham Fast Food Restaurant

News

Football Banning Order issued to Wrexham man for ‘pyro offences’

News

Ambulance Service ‘expecting the Bank Holiday period to be a busy one for us’

News

Reminder to check for Schools Essentials Grant before window closes at end of May

News

Wrexham AFC Women Awarded first UEFA License and FAW Tier 1 License renews for 2024/25 Season

News