Cefn Road 40mph to 30mph

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cefn Road 40mph to 30mph

• Author

tiger-lily
    Participant

@BrymboMC 894 wrote:

If anyone does happen to “win” a ticket for travellinbg at 40mph in a 30 of Cefn Road they should appeal against it as the law states that a “New Speed Limit in Operation” sign MUST be displayed for exactly 6 months from the date of change. The law goes on to say where this must be shown etc etc.

Thank you – I thought there must be some law about this. You cannot just change a road layout without letting drivers know.

Rob
    Participant

There are a few ‘changes’ which I am sure are due to legal challenges. You used to see a camera van opposite the ‘new’ flats on the Gresford roundabout aimed at people coming out of town along Chester Rd where it went from a 30 to a 60 but its never there anymore.

Makes you wonder why, and if it was there wrongly, did those who get caught get notified?

Liam
    Participant

Hopefully going to get some clarification on this from the council today, will keep you updated.

Liam
    Participant

So the official word from Wrexham Council is: “In respect of signing a 30mph limit, current legislation governing 30mph speed limits does not allow for the placement of additional signage within these limits should street lighting be present, which is the case on Cefn Road. Therefore the placement of additional signage along this length of highway is not possible”

Are street lights really an adequate way of letting people know of a speed limit change?!

Removal Of Cefn Road Speed Limit Signs Causes Confusion | Wrexham.com

pete
    Participant

Regarding the lack of signage, the Traffic Signs Manual published by the DfT says that 30mph ‘repeater’ signs are not allowed if there are street lights along the road. This makes sense because if there are street lights the speed limit is 30 unless signs say otherwise, and if you put them on one road you’d have to put them on all roads to be consistent.

However, it goes on to say the following about reducing a speed limit to 30 mph (paragraph 14.33):
    “Regular drivers might not at first realise that the
    speed limit has changed; they might not notice that
    the speed limit signs have been removed. A sign to
    diagram 7032 should therefore be erected to advise
    drivers that a new 30mph speed limit is in force”

The key word is ‘should’ (paragraph 1.5):
    should indicates a course of
    action that is strongly recommended and represents
    good practice”

tiger-lily
    Participant

Hi Liam

Thank you for your well written article. It certainly highlights the problem on Cefn Road. Let us hope that someone on the council reads it and has second thoughts about not putting up any signs. We can but hope.

Well done !!

ps:- I suppose the street lights are a good way of letting people know about the speed limit change – You just stick a couple of 30mph signs on them !!! :D

Liam
    Participant

@pete 926 wrote:

Regarding the lack of signage, the Traffic Signs Manual published by the DfT says that 30mph ‘repeater’ signs are not allowed if there are street lights along the road. This makes sense because if there are street lights the speed limit is 30 unless signs say otherwise, and if you put them on one road you’d have to put them on all roads to be consistent.

However, it goes on to say the following about reducing a speed limit to 30 mph (paragraph 14.33):
    “Regular drivers might not at first realise that the
    speed limit has changed; they might not notice that
    the speed limit signs have been removed. A sign to
    diagram 7032 should therefore be erected to advise
    drivers that a new 30mph speed limit is in force”

The key word is ‘should’ (paragraph 1.5):
    should indicates a course of
    action that is strongly recommended and represents
    good practice”

Cheers for that Pete, the change of speed limit is definitely the main issue here and I agree with the manual that putting up signs to tell people in the short term would be the best solution.

@tiger-lily 927 wrote:

Hi Liam

Thank you for your well written article. It certainly highlights the problem on Cefn Road. Let us hope that someone on the council reads it and has second thoughts about not putting up any signs. We can but hope.

Well done !!

ps:- I suppose the street lights are a good way of letting people know about the speed limit change – You just stick a couple of 30mph signs on them !!! :D

No problem, I’m hoping that they acknowledge there is a genuine issue here.

Draig Wrecsam
    Participant

I must admit I’ve driven down Cefn Road a couple of times in the last week and have done 40 without realising the limit had been changed.

It’s worrying to think that I could have potentially been stopped by the Police for it when I’d never intentionally speed.

Definitely needs clarifying or there will be outrage if innocent drivers get speed fines.

Speediecars
    Participant

Thanks for bringing this to everybodys attention as I certainly have not noticed the change in the speed limit!

Very nice of the council to put up signs advising of the change of speed limit, is that lack of organisation on the councils side or is it co-operation with the police to catch everybody speeding for easy money?!

Isnt it strange that the council cannot erect signs to advise of the change in speed limit, but when the drop a blob of paint on the road and call it a roundabout there are new signs to advise motorists?

If anybody remembers the council did the same thing in Rhostyllen when they reduced the main road from 40 to 30 as the only signs were at each side of Rhostyllen! I had been driving there 40 until I spotted the 30 sign and thought I was seeing things!

Thanks very much to wrexham.com for brining this matter up as I will be advising all the drivers at my office.

Rob
    Participant

What is interesting is the leader have picked this up today – Page 3 top right – and run with quotes from their facebook page :) We cant spot them on there though ;)

Good its being covered, but before Tiger Lilly raising it on here there was nothing locally about it!

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

New video shows Wrexham AFC chairman “Baseball-izing” Football Game ahead of MLB World Tour

News

Police appeal after “considerable amount of damage” at local primary school

News

A view from Sam Rowlands – Welsh Conservative North Wales Member of the Senedd

News

“It is not for local authorities to fund local or national print media”, says Senedd committee

News

Over 6,000 illegal vapes seized in Wrexham in Trading Standards crackdown

News

Former First Minister Mark Drakeford honoured as one of the “Covid heroes”

News