Cefn Road 40mph to 30mph

Home Forums Wrexham.com Forums Wrexham Forum Cefn Road 40mph to 30mph

• Author

tiger-lily
    Participant

Hi All

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems with other drivers on the Cefn Road since the speed was reduced from 40mph to 30mph ?

A few weeks ago the 40mph sign was taken down (in the direction coming from The Greyhound Roundabout towards the Industrial Estate) on the junction with Ceiriog Road and no other signs have been put up in that direction letting drivers know that it is now a 30mph area.

I did get in touch with the council to firstly, confirm it was now a 30mph area and secondly if maybe it might be a good idea to put a couple of 30mph signs up to remind drivers. The response I got was yes it was 30mph and no they would not be putting up any signs and drivers should know the speed limit due to the street lights….etc etc

The problem I have experienced using Cefn Road going towards the Industrial Estate is drivers tailgating me, expecting me to go faster, tooting at me and then overtaking and giving me rude signs. They seem to think I am being awkward by doing 30mph where it used to be 40mph. Now either they have not noticed that it is no longer 40mph or they just don’t care.

I know I should ignore them but it has now got to the point that I am fed up with all the abuse I get using Cefn Road and go the longer way around and through all the road works to get onto the Industrial Estate.

Would be interested to know if anyone else has had any problems.

Regards

Liam
    Participant

It’s funny you should mention it, I drive down the Cefn Road to go to Overton most days of the week and have been wondering for ages what the limit is.

The 40mph signs were taken down around the time of the roundabout roadworks, but it’s unclear what the limit is now.

I tend to treat is as a 40 as it has been for years and there are no signs to the contrary but I think you’re in the right on this one. No need for people to be abusive.

In a situation where there has been a change of speed limit surely it would be better to put up signs so that people are clear on the matter?

ScooterSharon
    Participant

The council is in the wrong with regards to this road and the speed limit. When a road has been a different speed for a number of years they should be new signs up to enforce and inform the public of the new speed limit. This is especially important with regards to Cefn Road as this is still showing as being a 40pmh road on some GPS systems.
    With regards to other road users, I do not like the way some drivers are acting these days. They act as if the road is their own personal road only and don’t care who they upset along the way and what laws they break.

tiger-lily
    Participant

I was very surprised at being told that no new signs were going to be put up informing of the new speed limit. I know nothing about the law on this but surely it is classed as a “New Road Layout” and, for safety sake at least, new signs should be erected to say so. When you have been using a road for years you can become complacent (no excuse I know) but even one big 30mph sign where the 40mph sign used to be would have been better than nothing.

Some drivers are a bit strange these days. I find when I am driving my small hatchback car some drivers will intimidate me (as my first post) but when I drive my husband’s large saloon car I have no trouble whatsoever !!

Mike
    Participant

Thanks for bringing this up! I drive down there quite often and it is confusing that there are no signs. They better not get the Stay Safe unit perched anywhere around as it wouldn’t be fair.

People are most likely going to drive at 40 because it’s what they’re most used to and strictly speaking they’re not really being told otherwise.

The road could also do with some resurfacing!

tiger-lily
    Participant

Good point about the speed cameras.

Would be interesting to know if anyone spots one.

And yes, I agree, that road does need resurfacing. Does not do the car much good. In fact a couple of years ago I drove over a dip in that road and a spring snapped – had to replace a pair of springs (not advisable to do just one !!!).:(

Rob
    Participant

“stay safe” , “arrive alive” etc

Why cant they just be called “speed camera vans” ?! :)

Wrexham PC Repairs
    Participant

There is often a police traffic car parked up at the entrance to the farm just off Cefn Road as you come over the brow of the hill towards Ysgol Morgan Llwyd.

BrymboMC
    Participant

If anyone does happen to “win” a ticket for travellinbg at 40mph in a 30 of Cefn Road they should appeal against it as the law states that a “New Speed Limit in Operation” sign MUST be displayed for exactly 6 months from the date of change. The law goes on to say where this must be shown etc etc.

tiger-lily
    Participant

@Wrexham PC Repairs 885 wrote:

There is often a police traffic car parked up at the entrance to the farm just off Cefn Road as you come over the brow of the hill towards Ysgol Morgan Llwyd.

Interesting… I used to see a police car there regular but since the new speed limit and up to the time I stopped using Cefn Road I did not see it once.

Content is user generated and is not moderated before posting. All content is viewed and used by you at your own risk and Wrexham.com does not warrant the accuracy or reliability of any of the information displayed. The views expressed on these Forums and social media are those of the individual contributors.
Complaint? Please use the report post tools or contact Wrexham.com .

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

More...

Drug driver jailed after fatal Johnstown road traffic collision

News

Multi-million pound investment to transform Old Library into “creative industries powerhouse”

News

The Adventure of Discovery: Why Field Trips Matter for Learning

News

Senedd rejects legal requirement for residential outdoor education in schools

News

New solar farm project planned in Wrexham could power over 22,000 homes

News

Welsh Affairs Committee Rob & Ryan comment ‘taken out of context’ says Deputy Leader of Council

News